AsRock DeskMini 110 vs Intel NUC6i7KYK

alinescoo

Jan 10, 2017
Hi all,

I am a developer and primarily (95% of time) using the PC for software development. I want a compact machine that sits on my desktop and it's small and silent.
So far I have come across 2 barebones which may (or may not) deliver what I need.

Intel Skull Canyon
+ very compact
+ good CPU, from what I've read the performance is about -20% fron i7 6700 desktop CPU
+ good GPU, at least better than the one in desktop CPUs
- some reviews say that is loud and noisy and I plan on having it on my desk, near my monitor
- from what I've read, there are some complains about sudden reboots, freezes and small issues
- temperatures seem to be too high even on idle, speaking from reviews
- expensive

AsRock Deskmini 110 mini-stx system
+ possibility to add a desktop CPU up to 65W TDP with stock or aftermaket cooler
+ better cooling
- slower GPU, not a Iris Pro
- good price

Beside the barebone, I've hardly managed to decide on SSD and RAM amount
- 16 GB SoDimm DDR4
- Samsung 960 EVO M2 PCIe SSD 250 GB

At the moment, I own a i5 3350P CPU from a few generations back and while using my IDE Android Studio + emulator the CPU sits around 20-40%. The only performance issue that may be is during compile, when all four cores are used over 90% to 100%.

Looking at the alternatives I've found:
The Intel Skull Canyon has Iris Pro which seems like a decent GPU and from my understanding the i7 6770HQ has a performance somewhere around -25% vs i7 6700 desktop version. So it has good CPU+GPU. The size is also good but the only thing that worries me is the fan which many say it's noisy and since the small ventilator + 45 W TDP it can be an issue being on my desk.

AsRock DeskMini is cheaper and allows to use a stock cooler. However, the GPU is the regular HD graphics and I have my worries on how good/silent the stock cooler can be given the small case and no other airflow.
I don't want to spend more money than I need to, but I also want to get good performance for my needs considering that I keep a PC for 2-3 years.
With the help of great users, I've decided what CPU to get for DeskMini https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/help-decide-what-cpu-to-get-for-asrock-deskmini110.2496769/

AsRock Deskmini + i7 7700 + Samsung 960 EVO 250 M2 is around the same price as the Skull Canyon alone which translates into ~20% more CPU performance and a free SSD in the same price...

I do not play games, but I could use some small ones as a break from time to time. I don't think that the GPU is that important, but it needs to be able to handle properly displays with over 2560x1080/2k without problems on Windows 10 environment.

I'd love to hear your advices on this.

Regards