ASRock B85M-ITX won't boot

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Hi,

I have an ASRock B85M-ITX board along with a Intel i5-4570T and GEIL DDR3 1866 2x8GB.

Computer won't boot. CPU fan spins up slow and then fast. The case fan spins slow. I'm replacing the MB/CPU from another system so not sure if the case fan used to spin that slow.

Anyway, I get no video on screen. A few times I saw some corruption on the screen for a split second.

The MB manual says it supports DDR3 up to 1600, so not sure if using 1866 is the issue?

The RAM was also in use from the previous build with no issues.

Any idea if it's a bad MB or CPU?

Thanks!

Last edited:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Well that was bizarre.

I went to try another monitor which had an HDMI hookup and noticed that on the back plate there was a metal tab bent in and touching the HDMI port. I bent it out, hooked up the monitor and it booted right up.

I hope I didn't fry anything :(

One last odd ball question. On the base of the Intel HSF it's round copper surface. The CPU is obviously square. Is the HSF supposed to be round like that?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
One last odd ball question. On the base of the Intel HSF it's round copper surface. The CPU is obviously square. Is the HSF supposed to be round like that?

Yes, that's the standard Intel heatsink design that's been around for a few years now. All that matters is that it makes contact with the center of the heatspreader. That's where the cores are located, such as with this Skylake CPU:

900x900px-LL-885d2583_sqKpvCM.jpeg

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Yes, that's the standard Intel heatsink design that's been around for a few years now. All that matters is that it makes contact with the center of the heatspreader. That's where the cores are located, such as with this Skylake CPU:

Cool thanks!

I haven't built a PC in a few years and just found it odd it wasn't a square to square contact.

Tannerblast

May 20, 2016
Wow good job! Troubleshooting inconsistencies and random resolutions can be worrisome but glad this worked out for you.