Question ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 vs. ASUS Prime B550-Plus

kalmquist

Aug 1, 2014
I'm looking to build a Ryzen 5700G based system. I started out looking at ASUS motherboards, and found the ASUS Prime B550-Plus, which has all the features I need for $135. But I the ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard has essentially the same features and costs only $90. In addition, the ASRock board has an ALC1200 audio chip, which is better than the ALC887 in the ASUS board.

Based on specs and price, chosing the ASRock board is a no brainer. But does the price of the ASRock board reflects cutting corners in areas which don't show up in the spec sheet, such as reliability, longevity, and quality control? Which motherboard would you chose?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
not necessarily, ASUS tends to charge a premium because they think they are N1.
having said that, im not intimately familiar with that Asrock board so i cant really say, but, you can look up some reviews on YT.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
ASRock's problem is the VRMs are not very good, but they won't hinder the performance of a 5700G.

kalmquist

Aug 1, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Based on them, I had decided to order the ASRock board, but when I was placing my order I saw that the price on the ASUS board had dropped to $110 and I ordered that instead. Probably either board would be fine, but I felt more comfortable with ASUS because have an ASUS B85 motherboard that's worked flawlessly since I bought it in 2014. I've never owned an ASRock motherboard.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

kalmquist

Aug 1, 2014
I assembled everything and it powers up to BIOS. (I still have to install Linux.) The memory switched to XMP settings once I enabled D.O.C.P. Apparently XMP is referred to as D.O.C.P. on ASUS's AMD boards for legal reasons.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER