ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA

Xvys

Aug 25, 2006
Looks like an revision to the 775Dual-Vsta, so you can use your old DDR ram and AGP card with the new Quad Core2 ;)

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I mostly wondered because looking at the ASRock site the only differences I could see were the supported chipsets printed on the board. The boards looked pretty much identical and the specs support this too.

I've loved my ASRock 775-DualVSTA and will most likely pass it down to a family member in the near future but I have really enjoyed this board and would definitely recommend it to anyone who can't afford to upgrade all their parts all at once. This board works great with DDR and AGP. I just moved to PCI-E and once I get some DDR2 ram I am moving on to a new 680i SLI motherboard.

As good as this board has been I couldn't imagine putting a $1000 chip like the new Quad Core on it.... dang, if you can afford a $1000 CPU then you can afford the rest, hehe.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
4CoreDual-VSTA & 775Dual-VSTA difference.

This below quote is from a someone with inside connections to Asrock.

The main difference is that the 775Dual-vsta uses Pt880pro which is not suppose to run 1066FSB processors. 775Dual-vsta can run that is due to overclocking.

The 4CoreDual-VSTA uses the newer PT880Ultra which is certified to support the 1066FSB processor.

You can check http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/comparison_p4-series.jsp
To see the difference between PT880Pro and PT880Ultra.

:cool:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mr Vain
4CoreDual-VSTA & 775Dual-VSTA difference.

This below quote is from a someone with inside connections to Asrock.

The main difference is that the 775Dual-vsta uses Pt880pro which is not suppose to run 1066FSB processors. 775Dual-vsta can run that is due to overclocking.

The 4CoreDual-VSTA uses the newer PT880Ultra which is certified to support the 1066FSB processor.

You can check http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/#
To see the difference between PT880Pro and PT880Ultra.

:cool:

From the Dual VSTA page..

Chipset - Northbridge: VIA PT880 Pro/Ultra
- Southbridge: VIA VT8237A

Looks like the Dual VSTA could also use the Ultra! ;)

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Asrock 775Dual-VSTA

Read the top of the North Bridge chip it says PT880 Pro.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/asrock/775Dual-VSTA/g3.htm

ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA

Read the top of the North Bridge chip it says PT880 Ultra.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/asrock/4coredual-vsta/g3.htm

PT880 Pro/Ultra is a PT880 Pro chip overclocked, there are no Pro/Ultra chip listed at Via.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/comparison_p4-series.jsp

Asrock makes some distinction here, its Asrocks first mobo with the Ultra chip for Intel.

http://www.asrock.com/product/index_china.htm

;)

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I took the Pro/Ultra to be Pro or Ultra. I "kinda" assumed that maybe newer Dual VSTA boards might have an Ultra! :)

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
This new Ultra North Bridge might overclock better than the Pro and the bios might allow for a higher FSB.

;)

Mallet

Aug 22, 2005
Does anyone know when these might be available in the states?

I spilled beer in my pc, and when i was cleaning it out I accidentally hit one of the POT's i had in my 775dual for a mod and a couple mosfets got torched :) If this were out I'd pick one up as a replacement.

Tedtalker1

Aug 4, 2000
It's been over a month since this board was released and still not avaiable in the USA :( I would really like to know if they are going to sell it here or not.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I would email asrock. I asked them if I could buy the conroe 865pe direct from them, but they wouldn't sell it to me.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I loved my old ASRock 775Dual-VSTA but there is no way I would buy a quad core Intel chip to put on any current ASRock board.

Too many chipset limitations and I know I am not alone when I say that VIA chipsets don't exactly warm my heart, lol.

:beer:

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
If you can get up to the bios max 340FSB on this new board, paired up with one of the new to be released 800FSB Allendale?s with reported up to 10x Multipliers, you will end up with a dirt cheap reasonably fast system that?s Quad core compatible.
Thanks VIA . :lips:

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Originally posted by: o1die
I would email asrock. I asked them if I could buy the conroe 865pe direct from them, but they wouldn't sell it to me.

I just emailed Asrock for the availability of this 4CoreDual-VSTA motherboard and got a swift reply, very good!

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 9:43 AM
To: Asrock TSD
Subject: Availability of the 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard

Hello
I would like to buy your 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard, but I can not find any place that sells it anywhere in the world except China.
When is it going to be available to Australian Customers or can I buy it directly from Asrock?
Many thanks

Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 10:51 AM
To: %&#!*$#
Subject: Availability of the 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard

Dear Sir,
The motherboards are still shipping. Maybe you can contact your local dealer for the information.
http://www.asrock.com/buy/index_AN.htm
Thanks for the email.
Yours truly,
ASRock

Well the good news is that they are shipping at the moment and that Asrock has not said it was not going to sell them outside China. LOL.:)

;)

Tedtalker1

Aug 4, 2000
Thanks Mr Vain--Good news indeed. I think the delay is them clearing out the 2DUAL-VSTA old stock.

stewaw00

Jan 17, 2007
FWIW I just bought a 775Dual-VSTA in the UK, not even put the thing in a case yet and I've popped the northbridge heatsink - there's a PT880 Ultra lurking under there. PCB Rev is G/A 1.02

Could it be the 4CoreDual-VSTA is equivalent to the 775Dual-VSTA versions with the PT880Ultra? I've spent a good few minutes looking over pics of both and other than the updated screen printing proclaming quad core these look absolutely identical.

Now am I'm going to get brave and forcefeed my 775Dual the 4CoreDual BIOS?? :D

Wullie

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Originally posted by: stewaw00
FWIW I just bought a 775Dual-VSTA in the UK, not even put the thing in a case yet and I've popped the northbridge heatsink - there's a PT880 Ultra lurking under there. PCB Rev is G/A 1.02

Could it be the 4CoreDual-VSTA is equivalent to the 775Dual-VSTA versions with the PT880Ultra? I've spent a good few minutes looking over pics of both and other than the updated screen printing proclaming quad core these look absolutely identical.

Now am I'm going to get brave and forcefeed my 775Dual the 4CoreDual BIOS?? :D

Wullie

What does Cpuz read your Northbridge chip as?

lookin4dlz

May 19, 2001
The USA is becoming a second-rate country due to the lackadaisical attitude people have towards education & so products are offered elsewhere first.