Aspire 7741G-6426 - Should I Remove the Battery?

chazdraves

Golden Member
May 10, 2002
Question is fairly simple. I use my laptop mostly as a desktop replacement. I've always been in the practice of removing the battery from the laptop to maintain the longevity. When I purchased this new laptop, however, the specifics indicate Acer has built in some sort of system to cutoff battery charging after a certain point so there is no need to remove the battery. Any thoughts on how well this system works? Is this built in to the hardware, or does it require software? Is it still best to pull the battery?

Thanks for your time!
- Chaz

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Yes! And store it at about 45-50%. I only install my battery when I go on the road.

chazdraves

Golden Member
May 10, 2002
Well, that's a fairly immediate response. Hardware still doesn't have the longevity on its own...

Do they make any sort of cover to fill the empty battery compartment in the mean time? I'd rather not leave it open like that...

Thanks for the reply!
- Chaz

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have left mine open for months at a time. Not a problem unless you are in a really dirty, dusty area. A dummy battery is not a bad idea - but I have never seen one.

chazdraves

Golden Member
May 10, 2002
I think it was more an aesthetic pursuit for me. I simply don't like having it appear "unfinished", as it were - in other words: trivial nonsense, but it bugs me.

I've actually found replacements for my notebook for $38 from a reputable dealer, so I may allow this original battery to become the "dummy battery" in time and then buy a second one that I'll better maintain once this one has reached a lesser state. I've also noticed today that Acer did an excellent job isolating the battery from the elevated temperature of the chassis. Even during several hours of 3D gaming, the battery remained at room temperature excepting the connector. Even still, I realize the other problem is the constant 100% charge instead of 40-50%.

Anyhow, thank you for all of your time!
- Chaz

themillak

Feb 2, 2011
do you need to turn off your laptop before you pull the battery or is it ok to do it while it's on?

chazdraves

Golden Member
May 10, 2002
Seems to be just fine doing it while it's on. At least, I've never noticed an ill effect.

- Chaz

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Shouldn't hurt anything, but, . . . why do it that way? Doesn't really make sense. You rreally need to close the lid, turn it over and remove the battery while it is upside down. It is not good to have the notebook ON when the lid is closed.