Ask Samsung Your Questions for an Upcoming Article

AnandTechDeals

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2001
We have an interview with Samsung about display technology tommorow, Jan 29, at 3PM EST. Does anyone have any questions they would like to ask? Some examples would be new technology Samsung is developing, marketing strategies, etc. I will try to ask as many questions as possible, and post the respones in this thread. The rest of the questions and responses will go in the upcoming Samsung 172T review which will be posted in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Kristopher Kubicki

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
when are lcd's going to be a viable solution for gaming?
what's in the works to accomplish this?

i hate lugging around a crt but will gladly do so untill the lcd makes this transition.

its bad enough that lcd's are more expensive but from a gamers point of view they are also inferior to crt's in every way except weight

also when are response times going to be measured not in black and white but in color (this would give the slowest response times right)

in otherwords
when will lcd's be gaming approved-no ghosting-no streaking

sorry but untill this happens i do not have a use for lcd's

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider

i hate lugging around a crt but will gladly do so untill the lcd makes this transition.

its bad enough that lcd's are more expensive but from a gamers point of view they are also inferior to crt's in every way except weight

also when are response times going to be measured not in black and white but in color (this would give the slowest response times right)

in otherwords

Uhh ditto, but more specifically, when are they going to release a 192T? Does this model have better pixel response times? If so, what are they?

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider

in otherwords

yes, and when will they have 20" LCDs that have these low response times

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
DDR-II develpoment & sell direct like Crucial.
Lots of people looking for True Samsung, finding Samsung chipsets on 3rd party circuit board - want the real thing.

Shalmanese

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
When are you going to produce 17/18/19" LCD's with more than 1280x1024 resolution? Is the reason you have not due to DVI limitations on consumer cards?

I have a 15" Laptop LCD at 1400x1050 and love the extra screen space.

WileCoyote

Aug 4, 2000
1. What research and development project is currently receiving top priority/top billing at Samsung? i.e. what's the next big thing we can expect to come out from Samsung (ex. oleds)?

2. What currently poses the greatest challenge in the mass production of lcds? Without obviously giving away any trade secrets, what is being done to overcome said challenge(s)?

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Can I have some LCDs for free? :p

just kidding...(unless they will give me some ;)) I am also curious about the response times suitable for gaming and such.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
NEC/Mitsubishi is developing FFD technology to improve the response time of their LCDs. Is Samsung working on any similar technology? Will Samsung be working on their own solution for faster response times? When could we expect to see such technologies?

I've heard that the reason for the high cost of LCDs is mainly due to low yields. Is this true and to what extent? How are current yields? Where do they see yields moving to in the near future?

Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Lots of people looking for True Samsung, finding Samsung chipsets on 3rd party circuit board - want the real thing.
Oooooh! And that too! How cool would that be?!

dunce11r

Sep 16, 2001
yeh, im pretty pissed that even samsung cant match apple's displays....
i mean, 1280x1024.... what kinda crap is that for 18+ inch LCDs.......

and 172W... wide screen that runs 1280x768.... what kind of junk is that..... i demand higher res!

oh, and ask if they plan to make widescreen 18-20in lcds.

Switch7

Oct 18, 2002
I still don't see good LCD's for around the same price as a CRT. Is that going to somewhat change soon?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001

Ditto on the Direct-Sale of memory topic. I think Samsung would make a MINT if they did this....low overhead too. Setup an online store, a few office personnel to deal with the orders/refunds and a few people to pull/package orders.

Thanks for this opportunity to submit questions. :)

Ipno

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2001
Are they going to stop producing the low end 17" monitors the way sony has any time soon?

Jun 10, 2002
say that gamers want an LCD the size of large televisions that can support 1600x1200 with response times of 16ms or less

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: SeybaNumberTwo
say that gamers want an LCD the size of large televisions that can support 1600x1200 with response times of 16ms or less

And cost under $300. (I know that it will be a while, but one can only dream.....)

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD

Ditto on the Direct-Sale of memory topic. I think Samsung would make a MINT if they did this....low overhead too. Setup an online store, a few office personnel to deal with the orders/refunds and a few people to pull/package orders.

Thanks for this opportunity to submit questions. :)

ditto x2 :) Could flog their LCD's (and everything else) this way too. Crucial's (UK) site was the reason I bought from them in the first place, and have now done so several times - not to mention I've reccomended it to others often enough, simply due to price, service quality and the ease of selecting right memory etc. Every time I see some confused first-time system builder asking "what ram for this mobo?" I just point to crucial site, they cant go wrong. Samsung should do the same, imo, even if they have an existing established e-tailer do it for them under contract (under the Samsung brand though).

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Will viewing angles ever improve for LCD monitors? It's really disappointing to see how bad current models are for viewing even at a slightly different angle!

KristopherKubicki

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Hi Everyone,

We just got off the phone with Samsung. Unfortunately, they could not answer any DDR questions as we were talking to their display engineers. Fortunately, we did get some great inside information that should make up for it. Watch for our Samsung 172T article which should be posted tonight or tommorow! Page 3 should have some interesting Q&A about the future of Samsung.

Cheers,

Kristopher

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Is 32bit RIMM technology already dead? Since only one or two motherboards support it and they arent exactly working out well, will Dual DDR just simply replace it. It would be one of the shortest lifespans of memory type for sure. Lots of people will likely be stuck with it.