Ask permission when proposing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chris7b

Nov 11, 2003
Originally posted by: aka1nas
My wife wanted me to ask her parent's for their blessing. So I typed up a nice formal letter and had my wife translate it into Russian and email it to her parents in Kazakhstan. Not exactly traditional, but it's the thought that counts.:D

Her name's not Natalya is it? I hear she's the #4 prostitute in all of Kazakhstan. Nice job!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I did. But I had to, to receive my wife's engagement ring . . . family heirloom.

Sep 29, 2004
I didn't but I think I took a dream away from my wife's dad. I think when you have a daughter, it's one of those things uou dream of. The day your daughter finds someone you approve of.

He asked permission from his wife's parents in the kitchen with his wife present. Then he turned to her and proposed. Kinda funny ;)

The downside of not asking permission is that I don't know to this day what my father in law thinks of me. I think my in-laws like me, but they are more friends to my wife than parents. In other words, they tend to be "yes men" to her 24/7. Never treated her as a daughter as much as they should have.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
Hum.. Why would you do that? If you are gonna marry someone, they are not underage, so they dont need their parents consent... Sounds stupid to me

Not the winner.

Originally posted by: yowolabi
If I thought her parents would appreciate it, and I knew they'd say yes, I'd do it. What's the harm in making them happy and getting closer to them?

Correct. I'd do it out of respect for the family if they were more traditional. There's nothing wrong with showing respect.

(edit: I should point out that I did ask her mom for permission; her mom had wanted her to marry me since the day she met me though.)

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I fully intend to ask the parents to marry their daughter. Although they are deaf. But I'm slowly learning sign language :p

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
I fully intend to ask the parents to marry their daughter. Although they are deaf. But I'm slowly learning sign language :p

lol, just dont get the dowry part mixed up with the marriage part.