ASIANS!!! How the hell do I cook rice so that it stays dry and non sticky when I fry it??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: gopunk
well lets face the facts people, asians know asian rice better than other people. if you want some crappy uncle ben weirdo rice, then go ask some non-asian people.

hey they grew that "crappy rice" out where i grew up so you can just shove it rice nazi!

:p

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: gopunk
well lets face the facts people, asians know asian rice better than other people. if you want some crappy uncle ben weirdo rice, then go ask some non-asian people.

hey they grew that "crappy rice" out where i grew up so you can just shove it rice nazi!

:p

what you call me? NO RICE FOR YOU! *yanks rice away from ElFenix* :p

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
has anyone addressed what KIND of rice you're using? Uncle Ben's might not stick.. but it ain't exactly all that great :p

many many different kinds of rice.. my mom usually just cooks it a little dry.

chibchakan

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: AmusedOne
hehe... This reminds me of the South Park episode where the town parents ask the Chinese Restuarant owner to build a wall around their city.

... and of course, it gets attacked by Mongolians... :D

LOL, I love that episode. Damn Mongolians :D

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
i don't know if this has been said, but it seems brtspears answered it.. but anyway.. one way to do it is to use day old rice.. so if you have rice one night, and have extra, use it to make fried rice.. that's how most people will make it

sciencetoy

Oct 10, 2001
There are different kinds of rice. From tipsofallsorts.com "Rice is basically categorized into long, medium or short grain.

"The amount of amylose, a starch present in rice will determine how sticky & fluffy the rice grains will turn out after being cooked.

"Long grain rice is 4 to 5 times as long as the width, slender & whitish. When they are cooked, grains remain separate and fluffy. A good choice for main dish, side dish or salad recipes.

"Medium grain rice means grains fits just in between the long & short grains. They are about 2 or 3 times as long as the width. Cooked grains are more moist & softer than the long grains. Perfect for dessert, casserole, bread & stir-fry recipes.

"Short grain rice are almost round & plump. Cooked grains tend to stay moist & gummy (sticking to each other). Great for sushi, stir-fry recipes & puddings. Has the highest amylose content among the 3 types of grains. "

There's a lot more to rice than than, but it's a start.

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Here is what you do, cook the rice with the right amount of water(practice makes perfect), Take the rice out and mix it with eggs(i do mean mixing is pretty well until the rice turns yellowish). Place rice in fridge or let it seat for a old day as many had suggested. b4 you cook or fry the rice make sure your wok is hot enough with some oil. drop an egg into the oil and scramble it. at this point you can drop whatever you want in the fried rice and lastly drop the rice into the wok. prior to serving, drop some salt, green union, and if you want your fried rice to taste just like those in chinatown well add some MSG to it. :) I want my tips for these directions please :p You're Welcome.

--Scsi

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
if you want good texture and not mushy fried rice, NEVER fry the rice fresh off the rice cooker.... put it in the fridge first

the best fried rice is when you use some leftover rice.....

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: NightFlyerGTI
WTF?? "ASIANS!!"??? I smell a horrid stench of ignorance from your direction. :disgust:

You do know that the word "Asian" sums up almost all eastern and pacific islander races right?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
you know i just tried to make fried rice yesterday and messed it up. it would have been nice to know this the other day heh.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
hehe... This reminds me of the South Park episode where the town parents ask the Chinese Restuarant owner to build a wall around their city.

This also reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry asks the mailman where a good Chinese restaurant is and the mailman got offended because he was Chinese.

My tip to you is, don't use Japanese or Korean short grain rice. Use Chinese long grain rice if you don't want it to stick.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001

Hhahahahha. That was such a funny episode.

Goddamn you Mongorians.

-geoff

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss

Hhahahahha. That was such a funny episode.

Goddamn you Mongorians.

-geoff

LOL, OMG!!!!! Mongorians, I can hear that one in my head :D.