Asian woman hit with a hammer in Hell’s Kitchen after mask confrontation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Haven't been in the City since the pandemic started but all I needed to know was this.

That's right by the port authority bus terminal.
For as long as I've worked in the city the area around Port Authority is crazy town.

Knowing the area and the local shitheads common to that area I'm not surprised the mental patients on the loose their have latched their craziness onto Asians.

Based on the video and witness statement, your experience tracks with what happened. A person who needed a padded cell was instead wandering the street.

Reactions: Lanyap and skyking

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The amount of sway Faux News has on most black people is nonexistent. And if they do swing over, it's for the pro-business portion of the platform. Meaning, they come over because they sip wine and are too educated or making money via business....
That you believe this is the only reason they would switch is naïve on your part.

Reactions: Pohemi

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That you believe this is the only reason they would switch is naïve on your part.
Well I think on a continuum for matters such as these, and not merely in either/or logic.
That would be an incorrect presumption that I think it would be the only reason for a switch, but I do think it is the primary reason. If you want to name and state the other reasons hold greater weight, I'm willing to hear an explanation.

Because I don't see much that is that appealing. The social conservatism part is mostly irrelevant. And if the superficial mesage of personal responsibility actually swayed someone, that would make them less likely to assault others.

In general, acts of violence usually are due to much less superficial reasons like political bent and much more the result of personal experiences and upbringing.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Most of the city is about 80-20 in favor of Democrats but 20% of 8 million people still means about 1.6 million Republicans, more than exist in a number of red states. Also, Staten Island is majority Republican.

Not surprising.. isn't that the constituency that killed a black man by choking him to death over cigarettes or stuck a plunger up a black mans ass in the police station.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well I think on a continuum for matters such as these, and not merely in either/or logic.
That would be an incorrect presumption that I think it would be the only reason for a switch, but I do think it is the primary reason. If you want to name and state the other reasons hold greater weight, I'm willing to hear an explanation.

Because I don't see much that is that appealing. The social conservatism part is mostly irrelevant. And if the superficial mesage of personal responsibility actually swayed someone, that would make them less likely to assault others.

In general, acts of violence usually are due to much less superficial reasons like political bent and much more the result of personal experiences and upbringing.
Hi! I'm religion! Have we met before?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Hi! I'm religion! Have we met before?
Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson switched parties? Nation of Islam has supported the elephant at times?

Religion doesn't map to one party. White Protestant Fundie Christianity creates a rather particular outlook that Republicans exploit. But the black churches don't really gel with it.

Catholic culture tends foster generally favor more Democratic principles; the power holders in the presidency and House come from cultures with a historically Catholic influence, although religion may not be that present in their personal lives .

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson switched parties? Nation of Islam has supported the elephant at times?

Religion doesn't map to one party. White Protestant Fundie Christianity creates a rather particular outlook that Republicans exploit. But the black churches don't really gel with it.

Catholic culture tends foster generally favor more Democratic principles; the power holders in the presidency and House come from cultures with a historically Catholic influence, although religion may not be that present in their personal lives .
Religion maps to gullibility, period. That opens any religious person up to being conned by propaganda.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Religion maps to gullibility, period.
Technically, your response is a nonsensical non-response.

It doesn't mean the gullibility is necessarily favorable for Republicans. I highly doubt the black churches are going to have droves of Republicans. Dylann Roof shot up a black church in the recent past, one of the attendees killed was a black state senator for the Democratic Party in South Carolina. .

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Technically, your response is a nonsensical non-response.

It doesn't mean the gullibility is necessarily favorable for Republicans. I highly doubt the black churches are going to have droves of Republicans. Dylann Roof shot up a black church in the recent past, one of the attendees killed was a black state senator for the Democratic Party in South Carolina. .
Of course gullibility is favorable to Republicans. What the fuck are you smoking with a statement like that? Study after study has shown that conservatives fall for disinformation way more than liberals. It isn't even close.

But none of that is the point. The point I made to railer is that what he is saying amounts to "Black people can't do x or be x." You know, textbook racist statements. You seem to really want to defend that viewpoint. Have at it. I'll just point out that just because Republicans and Fox News give black people so many reasons to hate them on a daily basis does not mean that all of them are immune to some of the talking points that twang their amygdalas. Things like anti-Asian and pro-life messages seem to resonate with a lot of them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Let step away from NYC (post #16) and look around, shall we? Look at this.

Shocking video: Sisters beaten with cinder block while closing West Baltimore liquor store (wmar2news.com)

Where is LeBron James with #accountablity? Totally radio silence, eh? Uh huh.

Righties are obsessed with Lebron James. Even though at least he has taken ownership of his mistake, something Trump has never done, and pretty much anybody who still supports Trump. Anybody who supports Trump but criticizes Lebron is a pathetic douchebag hack.

Plus what does Lebron have to do with random street crime? Obviously he is for criminals getting caught. Just because you want accountability with systemic injustice doesn't mean now you support street crime. What stupid logic. Typical right wing lack of ability to critically think.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Righties are obsessed with Lebron James. Even though at least he has taken ownership of his mistake, something Trump has never done, and pretty much anybody who still supports Trump. Anybody who supports Trump but criticizes Lebron is a pathetic douchebag hack.

Plus what does Lebron have to do with random street crime? Obviously he is for criminals getting caught. Just because you want accountability with systemic injustice doesn't mean now you support street crime. What stupid logic. Typical right wing lack of ability to critically think.

Taken ownership of his mistake? Did he say sorry for the officer? Did he say sorry for jumping to the conclusion BEFORE the facts? Did he? Uh huh. Keep lying and spinning.

Critical think? Like you? Like how you keep projecting your craving and obsession of other guys penises and their sizes? Uh huh. Keep doing what you do best.

Last edited:
  • Haha

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Take ownership of his mistake? Did he say sorry for the officer? Did he say sorry for jumping to the conclusion BEFORE the facts? Did he? Uh huh. Keep lying and spinning.

Critical think? LIke you? Like how you keep projecting your craving and obsession of other guys penises and their sizes? Uh huh. Keep doing what you do best.

I am no Lebron fan, could care less about him either way, his whole The Decision thing was stupid, but he just seems like a basketball player that I don't follow much - but he at least said he started off the conversation wrong with his tweet. This is by far way more than anything Trump has ever done about any one of his bajillion lies and misdirections. Anybody who randomly brings in Lebron into a conversation and makes zero relative point to the matter is just a pathetic hack. Because we all know what you still support, Trumpism. So spare us pretending to give a fuck about someone not getting the facts right. Anybody who is a Trumpist has ZERO credibility on the matter.

What is your obsession with penis sizes? Not like there is anything wrong with being gay, but you seem to have a complex about it. Nobody talked about penis sizes. Be in touch with your sexuality bro.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I am no Lebron fan, could care less about him either way, his whole The Decision thing was stupid, but he just seems like a basketball player that I don't follow much - but he at least said he started off the conversation wrong with his tweet. This is by far way more than anything Trump has ever done about any one of his bajillion lies and misdirections. Anybody who randomly brings in Lebron into a conversation and makes zero relative point to the matter is just a pathetic hack. Because we all know what you still support, Trumpism. So spare us pretending to give a fuck about someone not getting the facts right. Anybody who is a Trumpist has ZERO credibility on the matter.

What is your obsession with penis sizes? Not like there is anything wrong with being gay, but you seem to have a complex about it. Nobody talked about penis sizes. Be in touch with your sexuality bro.

Still waiting for you to post anything about LJ said he was sorry. Take your time. Remember, you said this "Even though at least he has taken ownership of his mistake". Gonna need a bigger paddle to backtrack?

I never said anything about other guys penises and their sizes but you did, many times. Shall I post your posts here for everyone to see? Be proud of who you really are.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Still waiting for you to post anything about LJ said he was sorry. Take your time. Remember, you said this "Even though at least he has taken ownership of his mistake". Gonna need a bigger paddle to backtrack?

I never said anything about other guys penises and their sizes but you did, many times. Shall I post your posts here for everyone to see? Be proud of who you really are.

I think I've called people small dicked motherfuckers because they have gun fetishes and are thus responsible for the obscene proliferation of guns in our streets. Does that hurt your feelings?

Lebron has sent two tweets that implied he started the wrong conversation and didn't have all the facts. I mean he was wrong. He could have made a better and stronger apology, but like I said, that is still MILES AND MILES ahead of anything Trump has ever done for the million times worse damage he has done to discourse in this country with nonstop lies and misdirectional statementst. So when I see GQP'ers hating on Lebron who are all about Trumpism, it's a joke. I think we are measured more by how we hold a president responsible vs a sports star. But you people are a joke - but a very evil joke.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I think I've called people small dicked motherfuckers because they have gun fetishes and are thuse responsible for the obscene proliferation of guns in our streets. Does that hurt your feelings?

Lebron has sent two tweets that implied he started the wrong conversation and didn't have all the facts. He could have made a better and stronger apology, but like I said, that is still MILES AND MILES ahead of anything Trump has ever done for the million times worse damage he has done to discourse in this country with nonstop lies and misdirectional statementst. So when I see GQP'ers hating on Lebron but defending Trumpism, it's a joke. I think we are measured more by how we hold a president responsible vs a sports star. But you people are a joke - but a very evil joke.

Ah, still nothing from LJ to support YOUR assertion of "Even though at least he has taken ownership of his mistake" Yup. you made an assertion with ZERO evidence to back it up. Feel free to post a few things about me defending DT or Republicans since you kept saying DT/GQP/etc. in which I never said in my post above.

Keep calling names, especially about other guys penises and their sizes = critical thinking in your book, right? Keep doing what you do best but not for me.

At least you did acknowledge that you did say it, multiple times, not just one, and didn't totally deny it.

Meanwhile in NYC, another one....

NYPD Hate Crimes on Twitter: "🚨Sunday, April 18th, at approx. 1:30 PM, an unidentified male approached a 22-year-old Asian male from behind at the Queens Plaza subway station, near Jackson Ave and Queens Blvd, and punched him in the back and chest. Info⬇?☎1-800-577-TIPS(8477). @NYPDShea @NYPDDetectives https://t.co/xohRLK5qNL" / Twitter

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ah, still nothing from LJ to support YOUR assertion of "Even though at least he has taken ownership of his mistake" Yup. you made an assertion with ZERO evidence to back it up. Feel free to post a few things about me defending DT or Republicans since you kept saying DT/GQP/etc. in which I never said in my post above.

Keep calling names = critical thinking in your book, right? Keep doing what you do best.

At least you did acknowledge that you did say it, multiple times, not just one, and didn't totally deny it.

Meanwhile in NYC, another one....

NYPD Hate Crimes on Twitter: "🚨Sunday, April 18th, at approx. 1:30 PM, an unidentified male approached a 22-year-old Asian male from behind at the Queens Plaza subway station, near Jackson Ave and Queens Blvd, and punched him in the back and chest. Info⬇?☎1-800-577-TIPS(8477). @NYPDShea @NYPDDetectives https://t.co/xohRLK5qNL" / Twitter

He tweeted after he deleted his first controversial tweet "ANGER does any of us any good and that includes myself! Gathering all the facts and educating does though!" - He clearly calls himself out by saying 'including myself' and referencing getting all the facts.

Then just recently he said ""I fueled the wrong conversation about Ma’Khia Bryant and I owe it to her and this movement to change it,"

I mean clearly he takes ownership that he fucked up. This isn't rocket science. He could have added a few more words, but he did say he fucked up by saying the wrong things.

Also, you are a GQP'er, unless I am mixing you up with another poster. But I'm pretty sure you are a GQP'er. Did you vote for Trump in 2016 and 2020? Pray do tell.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
He tweeted after he deleted his first controversial tweet "ANGER does any of us any good and that includes myself! Gathering all the facts and educating does though!" - He clearly calls himself out by saying 'including myself' and referencing getting all the facts.

Then just recently he said ""I fueled the wrong conversation about Ma’Khia Bryant and I owe it to her and this movement to change it,"

I mean clearly he takes ownership that he fucked up. This isn't rocket science. He could have added a few more words, but he did say he fucked up by saying the wrong things.

Also, you are a GQP'er, unless I am mixing you up with another poster. But I'm pretty sure you are a GQP'er. Did you vote for Trump in 2016 and 2020? Pray do tell.

This is what he said, in full.

LeBron James on Twitter: "I’m so damn tired of seeing Black people killed by police. I took the tweet down because its being used to create more hate -This isn’t about one officer. it’s about the entire system and they always use our words to create more racism. I am so desperate for more ACCOUNTABILITY" / Twitter

I still don't see anything about "ooops, sorry my bad, I jumped into conclusion before the facts" or "my bad, sorry" or anything about ownership of his mistake as you claimed.

I remember eskimo said it before in here that the burden of proof is on the accuser and I asked him whether it would apply for all and he said yes. You made the accusation, so it is on you to prove it. So post a few posts of me in support of DT/GQP/GOP/Republicans/Rightwingers/<fill in the blank>. Until then, stop follow me around and derail the thread.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I've noticed from my admittedly cursory examination of the incidents that a large number of the assaults on Asian Americans seem to be perpetrated by black folks. Is that why Lebron James was brought into this?

I'm trying to understand why Lebron James is worthy of such scorn if Trump's record of racism and violence produced only obedient silence. Never mind the dick stuff Svnla, cough up some links of you calling out the republican love of white supremacy - and it's immediate effects, people dying for instance. Help others take your opinion seriously. It's been mentioned before but needs constant repeating; if you're a Trumpist no one really cares what you think. One of the costs of living in your own reality where sedition and treason don't matter. Your previous posts regarding China have struck me as topical and lacking the unnecessary politics many try to inject into it, which is decidedly non-Trumpist in my experience.

Just curious, you are a Vietnamese American aren't you?

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This is what he said, in full.

LeBron James on Twitter: "I’m so damn tired of seeing Black people killed by police. I took the tweet down because its being used to create more hate -This isn’t about one officer. it’s about the entire system and they always use our words to create more racism. I am so desperate for more ACCOUNTABILITY" / Twitter

I still don't see anything about "ooops, sorry my bad, I jumped into conclusion before the facts" or "my bad, sorry" or anything like that.

I remember eskimo said it before in here that the burden of proof is on the accuser and I asked him whether it would apply for all and he said yes. You made accusation, so it is on you to prove it. So post a few posts of me in support of DT/GQP/GOP/Republicans/Rightwingers/<fill in the blank>. Until then, stop follow me around and derail the thread.

I am derailing a thread about anti-Asian violence when you bring up Lebron Fucking James into this thread out of nowhere, which is the definition of derailing. You just proved you are a GQP'er because only a GQP'er would be so delusional to bring up Lebron James in the manner you did in a thread about Anti-Asian violence. So tell us, who did you support for president in 2020. You avoided that question. Did you support Trump?

This is what Lebron said 2 days ago "I fueled the wrong conversation about Ma’Khia Bryant and I owe it to her and this movement to change it."

Fueled the wrong conversation. It definitely implies he fucked up the conversation. How does one do that? By saying the wrong thing. Tied together with his earlier post about getting the facts right, while also mentioning himself, it's pretty clear he is saying he fucked up, while definitely not making a big simple 'I'm sorry I fucked up' statement. Could he do better? Sure.

In a thread about anti-Asian violence, you should be calling out the party that has fueled anti-Asian and anti-immigrant hate - which is why Korean American gold medalists are getting hate mail about how she is taking away medals from white American girls, or why a president and his movement call Covid the Kung-Flu and what not, fueling anti-Asian hate. But instead it's about Lebron to you, the most recent target of the Fox News right wing Trumphumping media. Gee I wonder what you are.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
You guys all are like cans of gasoline looking for a match to fight over.
The attacker was a victim too, she was clearly deranged and in need of treatment.
I've seen similar crazy shit on the streets of Seattle. It all started back in the '80s when they started breaking up the State mental health systems. People got ran out into the street to fend for themselves.
Rather than trying to help these people, let's just pour some gas on it woohoo!