Asian Evangelicals at UC Berkeley

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
There are many of these groups at UCI (which is well over 50% asian)....pretty much any catholic/protestant club exists for any ethnicity...certain groups like Koreans will actually have several clubs even for protestants. One thing I've noticed a lot is that a lot of what they preach is not necessarily religious in nature. If one pauses and remove phrases related to Jesus, a lot of what is talked about is really good advice for young people on how to live, get around, and react to situations around it. Of course this is true for most religious advice in general, but my anecdotal experiences have shown it to be a lot more true with these groups as opposed to what I've seen in Muslim Groups (Which are way more political for many reasons).
One thing the article pointed out which is true is that college isn't that easy...and there are a lot of pressures and problems that young adults face. It can be as traditional and trying hard to get good grades, to as (Ridiculous) as companies asking for experience when it comes to recruiting for internships (you know...the thing that is SUPPOSED to give us that experience). Having an emotional and spiritual outlet makes such a difference when it comes to those moments of helplessness that any student feels.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
UCSD was pretty irritating for me in this respect. There were always groups of asian people going around prostletyzing me. (UCSD is also majority asian.) Whatever though, I feel like the whole college experience is supposed to be filled with people you don't like randomly shouting irritating things at you, so in the vast scheme of things there could be much worse.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Humans are born good and get screwed up. That means they can get better again. All sorts of things can help with that.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Exactly what interesting discussion did you have in mind?

What's the difference between an Asian or White man both with the same mind virus? None, tho, they do tint Christ on the cross, you go into the black churches and they add a lot more tint to him I find it a bit funny but.... Oh well...

Magomango, what a feel good story. Gave me warm fuzzy's all over. Cut the BS, pass the $$$ plate again... God needs to get paid....

Don't give a shit what color you are... As long as the money is Green! That's all that counts...

Dig deep people! Jesus loves you!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: ericlp

What's the difference between an Asian or White man both with the same mind virus? None, tho, they do tint Christ on the cross, you go into the black churches and they add a lot more tint to him I find it a bit funny but.... Oh well...

Magomango, what a feel good story. Gave me warm fuzzy's all over. Cut the BS, pass the $$$ plate again... God needs to get paid....

Don't give a shit what color you are... As long as the money is Green! That's all that counts...

You must feel like shit, a chimp in a cage throwing poo.

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005

Well, I was surprised that such a large percentage of them are Chinese (~50% if I recall from the article). I know Koreans are really into the whole Protestant thing, but I don't typically think of Chinese people as being Christian to any great degree. Maybe I'm wrong?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

I never expected any real "interesting" convo in mind. I just commented about what I have seen, and a lot of the motivations for students who get attracted to college.

Money plate...lawl?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

You must feel like shit, a chimp in a cage throwing poo.

sounds like your fortune cookie not mine... Guess again....

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: magomago

I never expected any real "interesting" convo in mind. I just commented about what I have seen, and a lot of the motivations for students who get attracted to college.

Money plate...lawl?

You go to college to learn something get a degree not to become brain warped... I guess we got different motivational idea's....

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Money plate...lawl?

You go to college to learn something get a degree not to become brain warped... I guess we got different motivational idea's....

You aren't doing very well with your education. You mouth some words like brain warped and don't even notice how accurately they refer to you. Your comment was ignorant and completely shallow and rude, because you're small minded and need to run down others as if you were intellectually superior. But your original thoughts are the same pap expressed by millions of other, similar shallow bots.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
thanks dad....

I'll try and keep up with your whit and logic in my next posts....

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Money plate...lawl?

And you do not think these kids are learning something? Most probably go in thinking they are there to get an education directly for a job. If that is your idea of college...damn you missed a whole portion of it!

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Wow. I go to Berkeley and I know the guy they are writing about. In fact, I went to high school with him and had many classes with him. wtf?

And yes, pretty much every Univ in California has many of these Christian groups. I mean, MANY. Most members are Chinese, as far as I've been able to tell. But that may largely be due to the fact that most of the Asians in the Universities are Chinese.