Asian American Gold Medalist talks about hate messages and more

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Hol-eeee shit. Man the anti-immigrant white supremacy anti-China everything party really has done a number on the population. Deplorables is literally too nice a word for them. This woman won a gold medal for the USA

As hate crimes targeting Asian Americans increase in the United States, snowboarder Chloe Kim, a first-generation Korean American and the reigning Olympic halfpipe gold medalist, told ESPN that recent attacks and hateful social media messages have taken a toll on her mental health.

On Wednesday night, Kim posted a screenshot of a message she had received in her Instagram direct messages a few moments earlier. "You dumb Asian b----," it read. "Kiss my ass." In the Instagram story post, Kim added, "I get hundreds of these messages and it breaks my heart that people think this type of behavior is okay." Now 20, Kim explained that she has received similar messages since she won her first medal at X Games Aspen at age 13. "I feel really helpless and afraid at times," she wrote. "I'm really struggling."

In an interview with ESPN on Thursday night, Kim opened up about her experience of racism, her fears for her safety and that of her parents, and her decision to speak out as a high-profile Asian American woman.

"I was getting messages from people telling me I'm part of the problem because I was being silent," Kim told ESPN. "I was like, 'Do you realize I'm also Asian American and this affects me?' It was a lot of white people telling me they were upset at my silence."

Kim said she hoped her Instagram post raised awareness about the prevalence of Asian American hate and illustrated that she, too, deals with discrimination on a daily basis. Her silence was not due to apathy, she said, but fear. "Just because I am a professional athlete or won the Olympics doesn't exempt me from racism," Kim said. "I get hundreds of those kinds of messages monthly. I see maybe 30 a day."

The social media abuse began when Kim was 13, after she won her first medal, a silver in the halfpipe, at the 2014 X Games in Aspen, Colorado. After the contest, she posted a photo of her medal on Instagram, where she already had hundreds of thousands of followers. She became emotional describing what happened next.

"People belittled my accomplishment because I was Asian," Kim said. "There were messages in my DMs telling me to go back to China and to stop taking medals away from the white American girls on the team. I was so proud of my accomplishment, but instead I was sobbing in bed next to my mom, asking her, 'Why are people being so mean because I'm Asian?'"

Kim speaks fluent Korean, but "after that moment, I stopped speaking Korean to my parents in public," she said. "I was so ashamed and hated that I was Asian. I've learned to get over that feeling, and now I am so proud."

Over the next several years, as Kim became the most dominant woman in the sport, she continued to receive a constant flow of hateful messages. She said she's even been spit on in public. But she didn't share those experiences with her friends or peers and hid most of it from her family. This past year, she has noticed the hostility increasing and felt she could not remain silent.

"I think it got worse when COVID started," Kim said. "I was trying to get in the elevator at my apartment one day and a woman was yelling at me and telling me no, you can't get in here. Sometimes I feel like everyone hates me because I am Asian."

Kim said when she leaves her home in Los Angeles, whether to compete at world championships or walk to the store, she fears for her safety.

"I never go anywhere by myself unless it's for a quick appointment or I know the place is crowded," she said. "I have Tasers, pepper spray, a knife. If I go outside to walk my dog or go to the grocery store, my fanny pack has all three of those in it and my hand never leaves my side."

Kim also said she fears for her parents because many of the recent attacks against Asian Americans have been against older women and men. "Every time my parents step out the door, I think maybe I won't see them again or maybe I will get a call from the hospital that they were attacked," Kim said. "I'm scared all the time."

For part of the past year, Kim turned off her social media notifications and deleted Instagram from her phone. "I used to love responding to my fans, but I don't look at my messages much anymore," she said. "Even if you get thousands of supportive messages, the hateful one will hit you the most."

Reactions: Leeea

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Bump, damn man...why do people have to hate so much. It's exhausting, I'm sorry she has to deal with that nonsense

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Chloe Kim isn't just any Gold medalist, but at the 2018 games, she was so much better than the "competition" that everybody knew going in they were competing for silver. Think of peak Michael Jordan in the early 1990s when he literally had no peers.

Unfortunately online hate-mongering and asshattery basically go unpunished unless it crosses over a very high bar.

As far as the anti-China everything party goes, it's normalized to the point where even a Korean-American running for office embraces it without apology:

• Wow
Reactions: obidamnkenobi
Mar 11, 2004
Chloe Kim isn't just any Gold medalist, but at the 2018 games, she was so much better than the "competition" that everybody knew going in they were competing for silver. Think of peak Michael Jordan in the early 1990s when he literally had no peers.

Unfortunately online hate-mongering and asshattery basically go unpunished unless it crosses over a very high bar.

As far as the anti-China everything party goes, it's normalized to the point where even a Korean-American running for office embraces it without apology:

Wow, what a fucking dumbass. "I was talking about the Communist Party when I said I don't want Chinese immigrants here, I love Chinese immigrants, it was only about the Communist Party." Seems like she's looking to get power by playing the dumbfuck right wingers. Then again she might just be a true right winger considering how prevalent "you're taking it out of context, I didn't say exactly that!" after being quoted saying exactly that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Hol-eeee shit. Man the anti-immigrant white supremacy anti-China everything party really has done a number on the population. Deplorables is literally too nice a word for them. This woman won a gold medal for the USA

As hate crimes targeting Asian Americans increase in the United States, snowboarder Chloe Kim, a first-generation Korean American and the reigning Olympic halfpipe gold medalist, told ESPN that recent attacks and hateful social media messages have taken a toll on her mental health.

On Wednesday night, Kim posted a screenshot of a message she had received in her Instagram direct messages a few moments earlier. "You dumb Asian b----," it read. "Kiss my ass." In the Instagram story post, Kim added, "I get hundreds of these messages and it breaks my heart that people think this type of behavior is okay." Now 20, Kim explained that she has received similar messages since she won her first medal at X Games Aspen at age 13. "I feel really helpless and afraid at times," she wrote. "I'm really struggling."

In an interview with ESPN on Thursday night, Kim opened up about her experience of racism, her fears for her safety and that of her parents, and her decision to speak out as a high-profile Asian American woman.

"I was getting messages from people telling me I'm part of the problem because I was being silent," Kim told ESPN. "I was like, 'Do you realize I'm also Asian American and this affects me?' It was a lot of white people telling me they were upset at my silence."

Kim said she hoped her Instagram post raised awareness about the prevalence of Asian American hate and illustrated that she, too, deals with discrimination on a daily basis. Her silence was not due to apathy, she said, but fear. "Just because I am a professional athlete or won the Olympics doesn't exempt me from racism," Kim said. "I get hundreds of those kinds of messages monthly. I see maybe 30 a day."

The social media abuse began when Kim was 13, after she won her first medal, a silver in the halfpipe, at the 2014 X Games in Aspen, Colorado. After the contest, she posted a photo of her medal on Instagram, where she already had hundreds of thousands of followers. She became emotional describing what happened next.

"People belittled my accomplishment because I was Asian," Kim said. "There were messages in my DMs telling me to go back to China and to stop taking medals away from the white American girls on the team. I was so proud of my accomplishment, but instead I was sobbing in bed next to my mom, asking her, 'Why are people being so mean because I'm Asian?'"

Kim speaks fluent Korean, but "after that moment, I stopped speaking Korean to my parents in public," she said. "I was so ashamed and hated that I was Asian. I've learned to get over that feeling, and now I am so proud."

Over the next several years, as Kim became the most dominant woman in the sport, she continued to receive a constant flow of hateful messages. She said she's even been spit on in public. But she didn't share those experiences with her friends or peers and hid most of it from her family. This past year, she has noticed the hostility increasing and felt she could not remain silent.

"I think it got worse when COVID started," Kim said. "I was trying to get in the elevator at my apartment one day and a woman was yelling at me and telling me no, you can't get in here. Sometimes I feel like everyone hates me because I am Asian."

Kim said when she leaves her home in Los Angeles, whether to compete at world championships or walk to the store, she fears for her safety.

"I never go anywhere by myself unless it's for a quick appointment or I know the place is crowded," she said. "I have Tasers, pepper spray, a knife. If I go outside to walk my dog or go to the grocery store, my fanny pack has all three of those in it and my hand never leaves my side."

Kim also said she fears for her parents because many of the recent attacks against Asian Americans have been against older women and men. "Every time my parents step out the door, I think maybe I won't see them again or maybe I will get a call from the hospital that they were attacked," Kim said. "I'm scared all the time."

For part of the past year, Kim turned off her social media notifications and deleted Instagram from her phone. "I used to love responding to my fans, but I don't look at my messages much anymore," she said. "Even if you get thousands of supportive messages, the hateful one will hit you the most."
Never heard of her until I have been recently catching the freestyle skiing and snowboarding stuff on the NBC Sports Channel.
Trump has left a legacy on this country. The legacy of not having to pretend you aren't a racist. Somehow their honesty is not comforting.

Reactions: tweaker2

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Wow, what a fucking dumbass. "I was talking about the Communist Party when I said I don't want Chinese immigrants here, I love Chinese immigrants, it was only about the Communist Party." Seems like she's looking to get power by playing the dumbfuck right wingers. Then again she might just be a true right winger considering how prevalent "you're taking it out of context, I didn't say exactly that!" after being quoted saying exactly that.
Being a Republican politician basically means you never have to say you're sorry; if anything, you double and quadruple down on stupid until voters pick the next assclown to replace you.

Although I disagree with the politics of these two Republican House members from Orange County, at least they aren't bat shit crazy and can call out hateful rhetoric and drop their endorsements. Young Kim was one of few House Republicans voting to certify the election results in the immediate aftermath of the Capitol insurrection.
Never heard of her until I have been recently catching the freestyle skiing and snowboarding stuff on the NBC Sports Channel.
Trump has left a legacy on this country. The legacy of not having to pretend you aren't a racist. Somehow their honesty is not comforting.
I don't follow "extreme" sports, but look up her performance at the 2018 winter Olympics. Generally I don't derive any enjoyment out of domination, but it was otherworldly her snowboard runs compared to the rest of field. I haven't watched any winter sports since. :tearsofjoy:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bump, damn man...why do people have to hate so much. It's exhausting, I'm sorry she has to deal with that nonsense
Ditto. Where's it coming from? I know that Trump flogged the xenophobic bigotry latent in the populace for all it was worth. So, yes, I can blame him, but he doesn't get all the blame. The character of the American people is to blame. We don't hold ourselves and each other accountable.

There's a book I have that I haven't finished yet. I have way way too many books I need to read but have only cracked... this book is Steven Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Early on he makes the premise that character is something that's fallen dramatically in our time. We want results without character. The quick fix rather than the solid one. We blame others without confronting our selves.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

I don't think Trump was president in 2014. Also Trump was not alive for the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 or the ban on Asian immigration in 1924, taxes and laws that target Asians, the history of Asian lynchings, etc. Also on the scale of personal racism, Trump is pretty damn mild.

He may have emboldened some people, but this is simply the ugly underbelly of the United States, home of the miscegenation, segregation, and sterilization laws that inspired Adolf Hitler to write Mein Kampf and the policies of the Nazi regime.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

nexus5rocks

Mar 12, 2014
Ditto. Where's it coming from? I know that Trump flogged the xenophobic bigotry latent in the populace for all it was worth. So, yes, I can blame him, but he doesn't get all the blame. The character of the American people is to blame. We don't hold ourselves and each other accountable.

There's a book I have that I haven't finished yet. I have way way too many books I need to read but have only cracked... this book is Steven Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Early on he makes the premise that character is something that's fallen dramatically in our time. We want results without character. The quick fix rather than the solid one. We blame others without confronting our selves.
trump isn't the cause of the issue, but his rhetoric emboldened closet racists to come out in full force.

Reactions: Fenixgoon and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
trump isn't the cause of the issue, but his rhetoric emboldened closet racists to come out in full force.
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?" It's a famous quote, don't know who said it, but doesn't matter. Isn't it better to leave the sleeping dog than awaken it to do mischief or mayhem? Trump is scum.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Sad. This country really is a shit hole. I feel the US will never truly evolve to the next level.
Quite possibly true, if not certainly. Was it Oscar Wilde? I'm gonna look for the quote... yes:

A quote attributed to Oscar Wilde has the famous aesthete remarking that America is “the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.”

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

Wow, if she wants to say "Communist Party" then why not just say that instead of saying "Chinese immigrants"? It's a rhetorical question, I know she is appealing to her base and specifically chose those words for them.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?" It's a famous quote, don't know who said it, but doesn't matter. Isn't it better to leave the sleeping dog than awaken it to do mischief or mayhem? Trump is scum.
Wasn't that from the old radio serial, The Shadow?

Reactions: Muse

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Wow, if she wants to say "Communist Party" then why not just say that instead of saying "Chinese immigrants"? It's a rhetorical question, I know she is appealing to her base and specifically chose those words for them.
That's just how racists work. They make sweeping statements, blaming an entire large group of people for the faults of a few, and then when called on it, they'll lie and claim they really only meant to blame that few. Afterwards, they'll go back to blaming the entire group again.
And yes, it is entirely possible for Koreans to be racist against Chinese, and vice versa (my own rhetorical bit there).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That's just how racists work. They make sweeping statements, blaming an entire large group of people for the faults of a few, and then when called on it, they'll lie and claim they really only meant to blame that few. Afterwards, they'll go back to blaming the entire group again.
And yes, it is entirely possible for Koreans to be racist against Chinese, and vice versa (my own rhetorical bit there).
Everyone's a Bigot!