• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

[Ashraf] 10nm "Lakefield" SoC with Intel big + little cores

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roland00Address

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2008
Grumbles on how I wish there were two Sunny Cove cores here. This may not actually create any improvements but it sure would make me feel better. With such a small chip adding a 2nd big core just seems reasonable to my mind.

Yes I know I am prejudging hardware I have not seen the performance yet. Sue me 🤣, I just felt bitten by atom over the last 10 years, and now we finally got an atom that will not stink, but at the same time the world has such delicious arm chips now a days I just want at least 2 big cores when we are going to be talking hardware that costs at least $500, and more likely to be $750+ or maybe even a $1000+ (all the foldable stuff.)

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Grumbles on how I wish there were two Sunny Cove cores here. This may not actually create any improvements but it sure would make me feel better. With such a small chip adding a 2nd big core just seems reasonable to my mind.
Space is quite tight, so second Sunny Cove will likely not fit there, in addition to making TDP shoot up.

The whole package is only 144mm2(12mm x 12mm). At 82mm2 it means each side is roughly 9mm, or only 3mm to play around. Other chips with PoP memory have a far greater package to die size ratio.

Roland00Address

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2008
Space is quite tight, so second Sunny Cove will likely not fit there, in addition to making TDP shoot up.

The whole package is only 144mm2(12mm x 12mm). At 82mm2 it means each side is roughly 9mm, or only 3mm to play around. Other chips with PoP memory have a far greater package to die size ratio.
I understand the logic, but I am not sure it will be enough.

Sigh I just hope intel delivers but I am skeptical of them finding the golden mixture after the last 5 years of meh on the big cores and much longer than that on their small cores. (There 22nm baytrail atoms of 2013 were not that bad but the stuff before and after the 2013 time were flat out disappointing.)

Sorry if all I am saying is just feelings and hunches and not "data" and "facts" to back up my fears and intuitions. I am only being honest here with what I feel inside.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
With such a small chip adding a 2nd big core just seems reasonable to my mind.
That's why it will obsolete the day it will be put on sale.

The whole package is only 144mm2(12mm x 12mm).
Why the importance of the size of the package this days?
Even smarphones have near 6 inch, there's lot's of space there, not to mention in tables or phones where the product is supposed to go.

This days the Z height is much more important.

bullzz

Jul 12, 2013
Why the importance of the size of the package this days?
size of package equals cost. if intel has to compete with qualcomm (this is qualcomm's segment), it needs more cores in a small area. atom is the only way they can achieve that.

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019
it needs more cores in a small area. atom is the only way they can achieve that.
But that is the size of the chip or the die if you prefer not the package.
The total board size could be important if the devices were space constrained, but that's not the case either.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY