Ashcroft: "Maximim Pentalies . . no Plea Bargains . . ."

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Lets Throw the Book At Everyone - Get Maximun Sentences

And lets make Jay-Walking a Capital Offense ! This guy is a menace to our society.

Why dosen't he enforce these 'Maximums" against his and Bushes 'Corprate Buddies ?
I would like them to really come down hard on the cheats that robbed the workers and the investors -
Oh, Wait, those are the same Benefactors that bought them their positions in the government,
yeah, O.K. - lets just go after those who can't afford a Million Dollars for a lawyer to get them off.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I don't particularly care for Ashcroft either, but he doesn't write the sentencing laws. Whether you're talking about strict application (Ashcroft) or loose application (Reno), they're both playing within the rules. Your ire is more appropriately directed at Congress for leaving such amibiguity in the sentencing guidelines.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Last I checked there are a wide array of people that have been prosecuted for the buisness scandels last year. I also might add it would be almost next to impossible to take down Ken Lay from a legal stand point.

Several from Enron, several from Worldcom, several from other companies too. Those that were directly responsible, HAVE been indicted and/or convicted. Ken Lay, not matter what the rhetoric was NOT directly responsible for the corprate scandal at Enron.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
_When prosecutors decided that the original charges will be tough to prove in court because of witness access problems, suppressed evidence or some other reason.

It's nice to know that when the US government brings charges against you that they cannot prove, you'll have an option to plea to a lesser charge.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1
I don't particularly care for Ashcroft either, but he doesn't write the sentencing laws. Whether you're talking about strict application (Ashcroft) or loose application (Reno), they're both playing within the rules. Your ire is more appropriately directed at Congress for leaving such amibiguity in the sentencing guidelines.

Bzzz. The nature of our legal system is ambiguity and discretion. It's the idiocy of mandatory minimums and the like that tie the hands of the judges who are put in place to use their expertise to JUDGE.

Crackpots like Ashcroft who would instruct judges on how they should do their job are just as bad, if not worse, than congress doing the same thing with ironclad sentencing laws. If we wanted uniformity we'd get rid of the human element of the judicial system.

We don't.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
If we wanted uniformity we'd get rid of the human element of the judicial system.

We don't.

And if you want ambiguity and judges to have total discretion on sentencing, then you would demand your Congress critter to eliminate sentencing guidelines altogether.

But you don't.

Personally, i prefer guidelines established by elected (and therefore accountable) legislators than by someone with a lifetime appointment that's not accountable to anyone. Especially since the Judicial branch already claims the right of Judicial review.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If we wanted uniformity we'd get rid of the human element of the judicial system.

We don't.

And if you want ambiguity and judges to have total discretion on sentencing, then you would demand your Congress critter to eliminate sentencing guidelines altogether.

But you don't.

No, but I would, and I should. If only I had the time or the means or the drive, but, alas, I don't. I'd say the most creative and effective solutions to criminality and recitivism are creative sentencing and judicial discretion. IMO, judges are by definition on a higher plane of existence than politicians. With a few excuses, as always, but I'd much rather have sentencing guidelines in the hands of judges than of politicians...

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
IMO, judges are by definition on a higher plane of existence than politicians. With a few excuses, as always, but I'd much rather have sentencing guidelines in the hands of judges than of politicians...

So what's the point in having a Legislative branch then?

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I could have sworn the report on NPR today said that plea bargaining would still be part of the process.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
IMO, judges are by definition on a higher plane of existence than politicians. With a few excuses, as always, but I'd much rather have sentencing guidelines in the hands of judges than of politicians...

To create laws. Leave sentencing to the judicial branch.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: konichiwa

To create laws. Leave sentencing to the judicial branch.

Yes - the Judicial Branch follows the sentencing guidlines set forth by the legislative branch - the only branch that has the power to write such law(well....the only one that is supposed to;))

CkG

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Maybe Asscroft could change the rules in Baseball while he is at it "Two Strikes and You're Out"

Where was ASScroft when the Religious Priests were raping little boys at the Altar?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Bzzz. The nature of our legal system is ambiguity and discretion. It's the idiocy of mandatory minimums and the like that tie the hands of the judges who are put in place to use their expertise to JUDGE.

Crackpots like Ashcroft who would instruct judges on how they should do their job are just as bad, if not worse, than congress doing the same thing with ironclad sentencing laws. If we wanted uniformity we'd get rid of the human element of the judicial system.

We don't.

bzzz... its congress's right to write sentencing laws. congress has lots of power over the judicial branch.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan
Maybe Asscroft could change the rules in Baseball while he is at it "Two Strikes and You're Out"

Where was ASScroft when the Religious Priests were raping little boys at the Altar?

did that violate federal laws? no. they violated state laws. ashcroft has no power over state prosecutors. please learn how the gov't functions.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan

Most of the high-profile priest allegations happened 10-30 years ago.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

We don't.

But you don't.

No, but I would, and I should. If only I had the time or the means or the drive, but, alas, I don't. I'd say the most creative and effective solutions to criminality and recitivism are creative sentencing and judicial discretion. IMO, judges are by definition on a higher plane of existence than politicians. With a few excuses, as always, but I'd much rather have sentencing guidelines in the hands of judges than of politicians...

Wrong, they are on the same plane and should be. It's called checks and balances.