As we slip into a police state... Supreme Court shields police from being sued for ignoring Miranda warnings

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's not just a "profound quote." It is rooted in the philosophy our entire criminal justice system was based on.

But OK. I see you still have not read up on it.

Here it is again for your remedial course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone's_ratio

The officer was never at risk. Police depts were. And yet another case of police rarely EVER being held accountable for misconduct and civil rights violations.

You should read this:

"The ruling signals to law enforcement that procedures meant to safeguard individual rights during police interactions are, practically speaking, optional. It’s virtually impossible that a department would discipline an officer for the omission, or that a prosecutor would take legal action, and, now, there’s no civil legal recourse available either."
100% this. The citizen MUST be more protected than the official, as they naturally have less power, and less systems built to perpetuate their power.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Meanwhile, the Republican controlled legislature in Arizona passed legislation to criminalize video recording police interactions with the public.

Fascist cockroaches sure don't like daylight.
DAMN! I predicted this 2 years ago.
How soon before some conservative asshole tries to make recording police illegal?

George Floyd showed in the open what we black people have been claiming for 50 years and now Republicans want to shut that down. I can see SCOTUS upholding this law

Without the ability to record Derrick Chauvin goes free.