As pandemic surges anew, global envy and anger over U.S. vaccine abundance

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Trump did fuck up the delivery and management of everything in between, yet, as it pains me to say it, there is a little credit due alone to the fact that he didnt fuck up warp speed. I mean, the funds were gonna be allocated anyway, what I am giving credit for is that he DIDNT issue an EO blocking the effort or otherwise refuse to sign off on it.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Trump did fuck up the delivery and management of everything in between, yet, as it pains me to say it, there is a little credit due alone to the fact that he didnt fuck up warp speed. I mean, the funds were gonna be allocated anyway, what I am giving credit for is that he DIDNT issue an EO blocking the effort or otherwise refuse to sign off on it.

He may not have "screwed it up", but he did nothing to help it either. He had no idea how to use the defense production act, and basically drooled like an idiot when asked to use it.

Biden on the other hand was able to attract talented personnel to his administration and then empower them to use the defense production act to greatly accelerate the timeline to widespread vaccine availability.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
He may not have "screwed it up", but he did nothing to help it either. He had no idea how to use the defense production act, and basically drooled like an idiot when asked to use it.

Biden on the other hand was able to attract talented personnel to his administration and then empower them to use the defense production act to greatly accelerate the timeline to widespread vaccine availability.
100% Agree. All of it.
But would anyone have been surprised if he HAD fucked it up(warp speed)? I bet not.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Credit where credit is due. I guess...

c81b7fb9c050b5835ae3fca60356b672.png

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Credit where credit is due. I guess...

I would disagree, between covid is a hoax, anti-masking, and the 570,000 dead bodies, Trump completely screwed up. More worryingly, he left nearly 40%* of republicans as anti-vaxxers, which means the US will never achieve herd immunity.

Trump did worse then fail, he intentionally caused as much possible damage as he could in the shortest amount of time to maximize the loss of American life.

*https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/why-41-percent-of-republicans-dont-plan-to-get-the-covid-vaccine

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Once US gets up to herd immunity territory, I see their excess doses coming here to Canada and to Mexico primarily. Once both borders get opened up, then will help other continents

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Once US gets up to herd immunity territory, I see their excess doses coming here to Canada and to Mexico primarily. Once both borders get opened up, then will help other continents

I’m concerned that herd immunity may not be happening as soon as we think with the abundance of vaccine that we have in the US. From what I understand a lot of folks that are eligible now are not getting for various reasons including folks with low educations, low income, low IQ, very religious, trump supporters, etc. My 80yo next door neighbor who is a trump supporter still argues with my wife, a retired RN, that the virus is not as bad as it’s made out to be. He and other neighbors hate Dr Fauci because masks. Dumbasses.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009

And as I said in another thread he got Republicans comfortable with big spending that has obvious strings attached like we guarantee to buy x million doses provided it is ready by this date and it is deemed effective.
The former President did do something however it is kind of in this wheelhouse

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
At least in through the summer, I don’t think the US hits greater than 75% or so vaccine uptake. May grow a bit beyond that as people get more comfortable with it but expect a big time stall on vaccine related herd immunity. Just my opinion...

Getting my second shot in one week.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Leeea

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Four years of Trump, and the world pitied the pathetic joke the USA had become.

Four months of Biden, and the USA is the envy of the world.

Yes, we need to sell a vaccine to everyone world wide. But first, I would like to take a moment to delight in the return of competency in governance.

No, we DON'T need to sell vaccines to the rest of the world...at least not until everyone in the USA including the various territories have been fully vaccinated.

Reactions: Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
No, we DON'T need to sell vaccines to the rest of the world...at least not until everyone in the USA including the various territories have been fully vaccinated.

We don't have to but we should at this point. Especially the AstraZenca doses of the Oxford vaccine made by Emergent which even if it's authorized eventually here in the US probably won't see much use. I'd have no problem shipping out the entire contract's worth.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
We don't have to but we should at this point. Especially the AstraZenca doses of the Oxford vaccine made by Emergent which even if it's authorized eventually here in the US probably won't see much use. I'd have no problem shipping out the entire contract's worth.
Yea, as soon as supplies are sufficient to meet demand here in the US, we should definitely sell the vaccine to as many countries as possible. As well as being good business, it is in our best interest to have immunity in other countries as well.

Edit: we need to get the vaccine approved ASAP for younger persons as well, as a lot of the new cases now are coming from schools and high school sports.

Reactions: Leeea

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

What? Of course he fucked it up. He had no impetus to have any influence on discovery or development; that is all out of the hands of government and well within the purview of private sector. Pfizer took no funds from warp speed, after all.

Where the trump admin had any power at all was to coordinate ate logistics and distribution, as well as messaging. He fucked that up on spades. Failure to invoke the DPA. Failure to coordinate amongst federal and state health agencies. We didn't see administration at scale until what, feb? March? When we knew EUA ws coming since late fall?

Yeah no, not buying it. The early stage rollout was a joke. We're only seeing the payoff of a ramped up approach since Feb.

The trump admin fucked up everything it touched.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yea, as soon as supplies are sufficient to meet demand here in the US, we should definitely sell the vaccine to as many countries as possible. As well as being good business, it is in our best interest to have immunity in other countries as well.

Edit: we need to get the vaccine approved ASAP for younger persons as well, as a lot of the new cases now are coming from schools and high school sports.

Pfizer has got enough data that they've asked the FDA to amend the authorization for 12-15. Moderna probably isn't far behind them. Doses of both are delivering ahead of schedule now and we're starting to see stocks accumulate. Soon we're going to be out of the easy to inoculate phase once that demand is exhausted. States are going to have to retool and start working to reach people who can't or won't go far for the shots.

Supposedly there are 20-30M doses of the AZ vaccine in freezers that it seems increasingly unlikely we'll use even if authorized. Ship em out to Canada, Mexico, and India immediately. We can't use it but they can.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I personally think it's immoral that we are sitting on the AZ shots, even if approved in the US no one would take it over the other options, and we are hitting the point that supply is out running demand. Ship those out ASAP.

Otherwise, it's probably immoral but I support taking care of our own first. Especially when we couldn't even make a dent over the entire world even if we sent out everyone of our vaccines.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Please, someone explain if I understood this wrong:

After the executives pocketed tens of billions already with this vaccine, billions that are not going to the vaccines itself, I got this right? The "market" is scared with the possibility either Russia or China curing the cancer? And give cheap access to the cure?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Please, someone explain if I understood this wrong:

After the executives pocketed tens of billions already with this vaccine, billions that are not going to the vaccines itself, I got this right? The "market" is scared with the possibility either Russia or China curing the cancer? And give cheap access to the cure?
I mean that's our worst fear right? Another country curing cancer is just a disaster. Geez

Reactions: hal2kilo

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
In the past week it's been super easy to get vaccine appointment here in Chicago burb area. I don't know if it's supply, or demand, or both, but it's been like a switch has been flipped. In general I agree take care of our own first, but at this point, at least in my area there is abundance of vaccines within 30 minutes of driving distance. Ship out all of AZ vaccine right away, and start shipping any excess of Phizer/Moderna/J&J vaccine as well.