As I predicted, many times, the price of oil would come down as we neared the election.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434
I realize that by selling the same amount of gas at $6 per gallon as they do for $4 per gallon they end up making more profit. :p

Oil companies do not make money over the fluctuation of the price per barrel of oil. That is in fact a COST of their business as they have to buy those drums of oil from the source - Middle East, Venezuela, Canada, etc. Those are the places that profit from the increase in price of a barrel of oil. Very little of our domestic oil companies' product is "homegrown" nowadays.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
It's no secret OPEC prefers a GOP president.

And 4 out of 5 dentists recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: winnar111
If you assume that the GOP is lowering the price of oil to get elected, you also have to assume they won't maintain a low price of oil if they aren't elected.

Likewise, if we assume that the GOP is lowering the price of oil just to get elected, then there is no reason to assume that it will not go right back up after they get what they want from the little people.

Now, I am not assuming that is going to happen. To be honest, I am not completely sure one way or the other nor do I really care that much. I have enough reasons to dislike the GOP for reasons that go way beyond gas and energy prices. I do believe that the prices are artificial though and obviously I don't like them. How and why is where I don't claim to have all the answers to. All I have our some theories.

The point is that the pendulum swings both ways in your logic as well as the OP's logic.

Juked07

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2008
If you assume that the GOP is lowering the price of oil to get elected, you also have to assume they won't maintain a low price of oil if they aren't elected.

Likewise, if we assume that the GOP is lowering the price of oil just to get elected, then there is no reason to assume that it will not go right back up after they get what they want from the little people.

Now, I am not assuming that is going to happen. To be honest, I am not completely sure one way or the other nor do I really care that much. I have enough reasons to dislike the GOP for reasons that go way beyond gas and energy prices. I do believe that the prices are artificial though and obviously I don't like them. How and why is where I don't claim to have all the answers to. All I have our some theories.

The point is that the pendulum swings both ways in your logic as well as the OP's logic.

I'm not sure you can call it a theory if you have absolutely no claim on how or why--not even a working hypothesis?

I think what you've done is more accurately labled as a guess.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: techs
Once again, I was correct.
As I have stated numerous times, as long as the Republicans had a chance at winning the price of oil would come down as we neared the election.
Kinda proves 2 points:
1) The price of oil is affected by far more than "supply and demand"
2) I am prescient.

1. You are a an idiot who hasnt been paying attention the last 3 years of high summer prices.
2. You are clueless and forget there was a higher than expected supply of oil a few weeks ago that set this all in motion.

btw one of the reasons McCain and republicans are still in their races across the country is due to the high price of energy. It is one policy McCain wins. It is also one policy that affects everyday people more than gay marriage, abortion, the poor starving, welfare or any other hot topic candidates toss out there that have little effect on people but somehow motivate them to vote.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

True, but a GOP president means oil prices come back down in Summer 2010 or so. A Dem president means oil prices stay up until Spring 2013 at the earliest.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
does it matter? It happened last election cycle as well. Whether or not it is manipulation, i don't think anyone is stupid enough at this point to think that they won't go right back up. best case scenario is that it moves in a cycle and is dropping again - but clearly this cycle still has an upwards trend.

Juked07

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2008
Originally posted by: magomago
does it matter? It happened last election cycle as well. Whether or not it is manipulation, i don't think anyone is stupid enough at this point to think that they won't go right back up. best case scenario is that it moves in a cycle and is dropping again - but clearly this cycle still has an upwards trend.

I stand by my 1000 gallon backyard tank + buying every four years idea!

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Juked07

I'm not sure you can call it a theory if you have absolutely no claim on how or why--not even a working hypothesis?

I think what you've done is more accurately labled as a guess.

It wasn't even a guess really. I was just stating a possibility. My point was that the logic behind the possibility made just as much sense as the possibility he presented as well as the OPs. Hence my comment about the pendulum swinging both ways here.

In regards to my reasoning or a hypothesis in its entirety, I have that kind of stuff ready in hand even though I will admit that it is not as detail oriented as I would prefer it to be because I am quite picky when it comes to dotting my I's and crossing my T's. I decided not to get into all of that here because that horse has already been beaten so many times and I am pretty bored of it at this point especially since so much of both sides of the arguments are infested with speculation.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
We need to hold biannual elections.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I predict the S&P 500 will hit 2000 in the next 20 years. MARK MY POST!!!

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Wow you mean you predicted that the price of gas would go up in the summer months then back down in the winter months when demand is lower like they have done for the last 50 or so years? Wow you deserve a cookie.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Hey techs...I have some milk in my fridge that has "Best before 08/05/08" printed on the side. Do you think it is still ok to use it in my Lucky Charms?

Only if they're "special" Lucky Charms.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
Does this mean, that during the clinton administration the oil companies were all very kind to us, decided to let us have cheap oil, and gave up the chance to make all this money out of the pure virtue in their hearts? Or, do you believe that the GOP controlled oil companies decided that they should reward us for voting clinton into office. And, at the same time, make everyone think that Clinton was a great president when it was really them controlling our energy?

The problem with your "conclusion" that oil is somehow controlled by the republicans also means that they intentionally gave us cheap oil for years, even when it made the democrats look good. At the same time they allowed all that money to remain in our pockets, the very opposite of the greed that I believe you accuse them of.

It amazes me how smart you think the republicans are.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
With all the other crap threads out there, this one is 100% win.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Juked07
Originally posted by: magomago

I stand by my 1000 gallon backyard tank + buying every four years idea!

I suppose that is a good idea ;)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genx87

You are clueless and forget there was a higher than expected supply of oil a few weeks ago that set this all in motion.

OMFGBBQ You still believe that supply and demand crap when it has been proven tens of billions time over to be false?

I now pronounce it is a S&D disease. Seek immediate treatment in Saudi Arabia.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jpeyton
We need to hold biannual elections.

and bi-annual SUV sales

Anyone notice they have started rolling out the SUV commercials in earnest again.

How many ATers are going to run out and get a sub 20 mpg land barge today?

Every one of those S&D diseasers right?

There is a ton of supply now, go go go

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If Republicans can control gas prices, then we ought to vote for them to keep gas prices low.

Yes, because they've done such a good job of that since BushCo took office...:roll:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
So, because oil went up in a bubble and came down in a burst, means you "predicted" it correctly? Are you Dave's twin brother?