As I age, I don't keep up. . .any good new freeware I should be aware of ?

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Post some things that you've found that is awesome, but a relatively new project. . . For instance, I just found out about Greenshot (it rocks) the other week. I was still using MWSNAP. Take care of the old guy . . .

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Ditto is able to keep your historical copies/pastes in a big list where you can easily access them at any time.

FormatFactory is my program of choice for converting media files, and TagScanner is mine for batch naming those files.

Spotify also has a ton of streaming music, if you really have been living under a rock...

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As I age I give less of a crap.
The Win 7 snipping tool is fine for me. I download Chrome & VLC. Maybe Picasa for pic needs. Thats pretty much it.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
lol I still use the version of mwsnap that runs as a standalone exe with no installer. I just put a shortcut to it in my startup folder. It's like 417KB. Why bloat up for no reason?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
hi,
What do you think of Fanboy's Ultimate list and the Better Privacy List? does the ultimate list cover the ones you posted and also, do you think the better privacy list is redundant if you use the Fanboy ultimate list?

I was gonna say I never noticed lag, but I just disabled it, and my browser did indeed speed up. I also use the Fanboy Adblock lists, and that covers much of what Ghostery does. That may be a viable alternative for some...

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
hi,
What do you think of Fanboy's Ultimate list and the Better Privacy List? does the ultimate list cover the ones you posted and also, do you think the better privacy list is redundant if you use the Fanboy ultimate list?

The Ultimate list covers the lists I mentioned. I'd have used that had I seen it :^D It puts all his lists in one chunk, so it makes it a bit easier to manage, but after the first install, it's the last time you have to fool with it. Either way works, but using one list is two fewer things to click.

For BetterPrivacy, I assume you're talking about the addon? If so, I use that. It clears Flash cookies, and there isn't an easy way to do that otherwise. The AdBlock lists don't cover Flash cookies. Deleting the Flash cookies /may/ cause access issues with some sites. No big deal, you'd just have to maybe login again or something. I'm only guessing, as the Flash sites I use haven't had issues with deleting their cookies. I have it set to delete them on browser close, but there's a couple other settings you can pick also.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It seems like that would also be covered under the ultimate list, right?

I would expect so. but it's kind of hard to say. On the surface, they claim to block the same things, but the contents may be better with one or the other. Maybe I'll see if I can put a script together, and check the lists. Not sure right now how I'd do that, but it would be a fun little project.

One thing to keep in mind with these lists is more isn't better. They can slow down browsing if you use too many lists. I haven't run into that yet, but it could be a problem if you load every list you run across, and end up with numerous duplicate entries.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I see what you're saying.. i try not to have too many lists.

Interesting idea bout the script, that would be great if you could do it. let me know if you end up doing that.

I would expect so. but it's kind of hard to say. On the surface, they claim to block the same things, but the contents may be better with one or the other. Maybe I'll see if I can put a script together, and check the lists. Not sure right now how I'd do that, but it would be a fun little project.

One thing to keep in mind with these lists is more isn't better. They can slow down browsing if you use too many lists. I haven't run into that yet, but it could be a problem if you load every list you run across, and end up with numerous duplicate entries.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
As I age I give less of a crap.
What gives? 13 years ago, I used to with great interest and care read every chipset, CPU, and graphics tech review/article twice, from multiple sources. Now-a-days I just skim quickly and don't slow down unless I see the words 'boobies' or 'orgasm' or 'drunkenness'. What happened to us?

EvanAdams

Nov 7, 2003
What gives? 13 years ago, I used to with great interest and care read every chipset, CPU, and graphics tech review/article twice, from multiple sources. Now-a-days I just skim quickly and don't slow down unless I see the words 'boobies' or 'orgasm' or 'drunkenness'. What happened to us?

here here!!!

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007

You grew wise and learned to filter the important words :p

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

LOL...2X. I can agree to this. I finally finished my new PC build about a month ago. It's still sitting in my daughter's room where I built and installed Windows. I haven't had the interest to move it to it's final location yet. 15 years ago, I would have torn down my walls to get it into place the instant it was finished. Now, it's outdated by several revisions before I get it into place.