As a rule do you register your software?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Hardware is one thing, it's often a good idea to register your hardware as sometimes your warranty is dependant on it and you can get other benefits. But usually most people don't use the warranty on software but companies still usually want you to register when you purchase a new piece of software. Be it a game or a new OS there is usually a registration card in the box. Do you very often register software. If so why?

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Colt45
I've never registered anything ever. hard or soft.

Aren't hardware warranties sometimes tied to registration though, I thought so anyway. For software it seems more often than not a ploy to send you more junk mail.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: Colt45
I've never registered anything ever. hard or soft.

Aren't hardware warranties sometimes tied to registration though, I thought so anyway. For software it seems more often than not a ploy to send you more junk mail.

yup, I believe ULTRA is that way. And in most instances unless you register the software, you can't get updates and patches. and almost all online game have to be registered before you can even play. like WoW or EVE.

Loreena

Oct 30, 2008
I stopped registering the in the mid 90's with Windows 95. I used a cartoon character name to register Windows 95 and a few months later the mailman delivering to our condo was putting question marks on the name because Spider Man was getting all kinds of junk mail! Just goes to show they sell your name regardless!

Who needs tech support nowadays as long as www.google.com works? :p

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Pretty much never. I got excited last year when I got my PS3 though, so I think I registered that and a few games.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What a bunch of paranoid geeks...

I always register hardware AND softwareif it's requested.

I may not give them ALL the info they ask for, but the basic stuff...Yep.

Do they possibly sell that info? Maybe...but if you're on someone's catalog mailing list, or for that matter, ANY mailing list, odds are, your info will be sold anyway.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I only register software that will provide me with a free new version (upgrade) should it come out in the future. But for software that is going to make me pay for a new version when it comes out, what's the point?