As a child, I was terrified of the dentist.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
See, this is an example of a joke that doesn't work when you read it, but if you tell it to someone, it's hilarious.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
See, this is an example of a joke that doesn't work when you read it, but if you tell it to someone, it's hilarious.

only if you can tell it wearing nothing but a loin cloth and a propeller hat.
then.. i'd laugh. :laugh:

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo

I don't know... I think I would just get weird looks.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Heller
I don't get it :confused:

The starting phrase, "As a child, I was afraid of the dentist," is something many of us can relate to. It is an irrational fear stemming from the fear of the unknown, combined with the presumption that it may hurt. We figure from this opening line that he is going to tell us about how irrational his fear was.

However, in the turn, we hear that the dentist is a pedophile. In this case, his fear was not irrational, but largely justified based on his dentist's sexual advances. This is a situation most of us aren't familiar with, and we weren't expecting based on the setup of the joke. The humor stems from our own assumptions about his fear being irrational and the unexpected reality that his fear stemmed from an unlikely source.

Alternately, pedophilia is funny, so anytime someone says pedophile, you should laugh. This is especially effective at group therapy sessions.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Originally posted by: Heller
I don't get it :confused:

The starting phrase, "As a child, I was afraid of the dentist," is something many of us can relate to. It is an irrational fear stemming from the fear of the unknown, combined with the presumption that it may hurt. We figure from this opening line that he is going to tell us about how irrational his fear was.

However, in the turn, we hear that the dentist is a pedophile. In this case, his fear was not irrational, but largely justified based on his dentist's sexual advances. This is a situation most of us aren't familiar with, and we weren't expecting based on the setup of the joke. The humor stems from our own assumptions about his fear being irrational and the unexpected reality that his fear stemmed from an unlikely source.

Alternately, pedophilia is funny, so anytime someone says pedophile, you should laugh. This is especially effective at group therapy sessions.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hm... No, I dont think its funny :confused:

Btw I am aware of that thing called sarcasm dont worry

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
OK, to make up for that one:

A guy see's a woman in a bar, and decides to make his move.

"Want to go back to my place?"
"Sure!" the woman replies.
"I have to warn you though...I'm VERY kinky." the guy warns his new date.
"Not a problem...I LOVE kinky!" the woman assures him.

They both go back to his place and have 15 minutes of boring, uneventful sex. When they're finished, the woman looks at him, confused.

"I thought you said you were kinky!"

"Oh yeah," the guy responds, "before we started, I shit in your purse."