Article from USA Today - Email templates to use when running late for a job interview

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I'm really sorry I am late for my interview, but I was out until 03:00AM this morning drinking and smoking it up with my friends. That is so unlike me as I usually only do that on every other day of the week...

Reactions: Kaido and purbeast0

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Unless the weather is totally nuts and transportation grinds to a halt, being late is not an excuse.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
definitely a slow news day for USA Today it seems if they are running crap like this...

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
or maybe this article is for millennials???

No, if it was for millennials it would include advice on how to take a selfie of yourself oversleeping so that it included the clock and it would automatically forward a participation trophy for booking the interview in the first place. As millennials go, actually getting an interview is a BIG step, showing up for it would be too much to ask.

If you're late for an interview for any reason other than a life threatening injury or a zombie apocalypse, don't even bother asking to reschedule. If you're not professional enough to show up on time you're not going to get hired for anything better than dog walker.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
http://college.usatoday.com/2017/05/10/running-late-for-a-job-interview-use-these-email-templates/

Is this what the world is coming to? if the person writing this article had any clue, sending an email that you are running late is probably the last thing you would want to do....I don't know, but maybe calling might be a better idea...

and then including something about oversleeping? WTF???

or maybe this article is for millennials???

You know, from a knee-jerk perspective, this does sound awful. HOWEVER, this has never been an issue at any company I've ever worked at. I suppose if it's either a small business, or else you have a really OCD hiring manager who would flip out & be personally offended by that sort of thing, then it would be a big deal, but as everyone is busy & has to take time out of their schedule (HR, hiring manager, etc.) to meet with the interviewee, they really appreciate it if they get either an email or a call in the event of a last-minute schedule change, because then they're not stuck waiting & they can get back to work. It shows that you're a professional person who keeps people in the loop. I would say that specifically sending out an email that you overslept would look kinda bad, but people realize it happens & as long as it's not a habitual thing for your workweek, it's usually not going to be an issue.

I have seen the flip side. I had a dude come in last year a full day later. Literally the next day after his scheduled interview, to which he didn't show up to at all, nor email, nor call. And DEMAND that we see him. Short of a catastrophic event like being in a car accident on the way over & not being able to respond, that shows that you don't value our time & you're not professional enough to keep us appraised of the schedule changes. And unless you're in a really competitive market, showing up on time (or preferably, a little early), having a few copies of your resume, and being dressed in a button-up shirt with a tie (or better yet, a suit) puts you miles ahead of most people (unless you're somewhere ultra-competitive like NYC or something).

And there's really only 3 rules for keeping a job: (well, most jobs anyway)

1. Show up on time
2. Do your work
3. Keep people in the know (call if you're going to be late, email them if your project is going to be past due, etc.)

People can be pretty understanding...providing you let them know what's going on. Just my IRL experience, especially when working with HR to hire people. And personally, I would cut them some slack if they overslept, because I've done that before & been late to work, and at least they had the courtesy to be honest about it & send a note out.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
lol if you overslept you've already blown it.

Eh, depends on the job. Again, if you notify people that you're going to be late, that's a lot better than radio silence.

We hired a single mom with a crazy schedule at my last job. Had a young kid, school full-time, etc. Being late to the interview was understandable due to the schedule, but the actual work hours were separate from her kid's school & her school hours. Ended up being one of our prize workers, did an absolutely phenomenal job. So sometimes you have to cut people some slack, especially if they're upfront & honest about it and actually let you know they're going to be late or need to reschedule. I mean, unless you're Apple and can afford to hire the best of the best & skip out on potentially great workers, you know?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Eh, depends on the job. Again, if you notify people that you're going to be late, that's a lot better than radio silence.

A lot better, sure, but both of those hypothetical applications are going into the round file.

e65.gif

Reactions: GagHalfrunt

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If I were late for an interview, I'd call and/or email, but I'd assume I was at the bottom of the stack, even if they were willing to reschedule.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Use this one.

Dear interviewing Manager;

I am running late for the interview. I want to thank you for giving me a chance at what would have been a fantastic job. I hope the person that you hire for the job works out well and does a great job for you.

Thank-you

(Insert your name here)

Reactions: pcgeek11 and Ns1