Yeah, I saw this just now and was about to post it. It sounds all dire, but there are a few weird bits, like:
1. Intel is undercutting them on low-end prices, same as they've offered sweetheart deals to OEMs to stiff AMD CPUs. (I wonder where the people who complain about Nvidia stand on this - the weaker product winning thru cheap prices.)
2. Everyone seems to know what's up with the NV30, but what interest do rivals have in saying anything BUT Nvidia's on schedule.
3. Earlier today, it was announced that Nvidia has 68% of the retail market, but this article makes it sound like they're 6 months from oblivion, despite reports that they've made up with M$ and are starting to talk about X-Box 2.
4. A lot of the drop in the stock price is due to multiple class-action suits by lottery-hopeful lawyers. Nothing's been proven, but they just want to have a place at the trough in case something pans out.
5. The article assumes that ATI will execute flawlessly.
6. Over the years, I've seen too many BS "analysis" by Wall Street suits who seem clueless about the tech sector compared to an average ATF member! A couple of years ago, they were proclaiming Nvidia to be in trouble because of....get this...the VOODOO 5!!! "Oh, it's really fast. 3dfx is gonna hurt them.", went the analysts and we all know what happened shortly thereafter.
The article is from the current print issue of Business Week. As I mentioned above, this Wall Street types are incredibly clueless about tech stuff. You'd think that if they're trying to ANALYZE this stuff, they'd learn something about it!
The part about the ATI Radeon 9700 is akin to Ford having to win stock car races - the automakers had a slogan, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" to reflect the cachet that being the top dog brings to your product lines. (e.g. Dale Jarret wins, so people will buy an Escort.)
Nvidia has equaled speed for a looooooooooooooong time, but ATI and Intel's leads in corporate desktop sales aren't because they've leapt ahead, but that they've low-balled the price. When OEMs are trying to eke out every penny of profit, why not go for a Rage Mobility instead of a GFx2Go when most people won't notice and the price difference goes to the bottom line?