ARTICLE: A Critical Objective Analyse of the PC Gaming Industry in Light of the Rise of Console Gaming (REVAMPED)

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
Article ? A Critical Analysis of the Current and Future State of the PC Gaming Industry in Light of the Rise of Console Gaming
Examining it's strengths & weaknesses; it's potential and the possible threats - an amalgamation of ideas

(aka Differentiation & Development or Declining Slowly into Obscurity)

Introduction

First-off just to explain where this thread came from is originally from all the speculation in response to the news of the latest generation of consoles coming out. I thought it deserved more particular analysis and investigation than the news article comments. While, forum posters have done something to investigate the current situation and the future of the PC gaming industry they have typically been too subject to emotional leanings and ?fanboy-ism?. Given the sheer expense and effort many of us go through to enjoy PC gaming at its best perhaps this should not be surprising. However, this article is to attempt to take a more circumspect and objective analysis of the gaming industry at hand. In this though, I admit my only comparative ignorance as I have not been involved in the PC gaming industry first-hand nor do I have any financial interest in it. I?m writing this casually, in my own time and off my own back. Nevertheless, as an outsider looking in, I hope I can offer some objective analysis and get some sort of more detailed discussion going.

This is a long piece of writing but I hope some people have the time and patience to read it (it?s taken me long enough!) ? I hope any game developers would be especially interest to comment on this. For those too lazy to read extensively, I?ve edited this to make skim-reading as easy as possible.

My reason for this article

Everything is subjective and everyone has bias and so to fully comprehend an article you must know the mind of its author and his reason to write it. That is something my studies have taught me and so to be categorically explicit I am neither a hardcore gamer nor quite a casual gamer but somewhere in the middle. In a way, gaming on the PC I couldn#'t give any other response as often the hoops I have to jump through and the energy I often have to invest to get a PC game working well excludes me ever being able to be described as a casual gamer. Therefore, I am not the atypical gamer who is casual and just wants some readily picked up inexpensive fun. That said that strikes a common theme in this writing. Nevertheless, to conclude, while I have gamed on consoles and enjoyed it, I am a PC gamer through-and-through and accordingly care about the PC gaming industry. Maybe that is representative of an emotional investment of sorts - or maybe being sardonic, just my wallet! In short, I want the PC industry to not only survive but thrive in its own unique way. I am worried by what I see as the long term trends where PC gaming seems directed towards increasingly marginalized and eventually hollowed out as money and talent leaves the industry in favour of console gaming. In my opinion, the survival of PC gaming is meaningless if ultimately it is a largely uncreative shell which lacks its own strong identity and something it can unquestionably claim as its own against the ever-encroaching consoles.

PC gaming in decline - the under-pinning conviction of this article

The PC game industry is not only in relative decline but a real decline as the emphasis increasingly shifts from PCs to consoles. Examining the US game markets PC games declined to $1.1 billion from $1.2 billion in 2003. This is despite releases of long-awaited titles like Half Life 2 and Doom 3. So we must ask what would have happened if these games had not been released? An industry can?t survive on the strength of a few recognized game titles alone. In fact, that the recent biggest titles and recent PC gaming can be characterized as sequels is testament to how financially risky and weak the PC gaming market is. If games were more profitable, not only would revenues be increasing but there would be many more innovative games that widely known franchises that can guarantee a decent amount of sales.

To further contextualize the figures of $1.1 billion; that decline must also be set against inflation meaning the decline is actually still more significant. Additionally, set against inexorably rising development costs especially as graphics are pushed ever further (and pushed to compete with consoles), there is a very real squeeze being placed on the PC industry where its long term survival in any meaningful way could start to be questioned. While there will always be die-hard gamers, can they support an industry alone? Moreover, as the newer generation gets more wholly embraced by consoles earlier on (gone are the days where you had to game on PC to enjoy the best and widest breadth of gaming) and consoles offer ever wider experiences, PC gaming risks the newer generation will growing up divorced from PC gaming and set in their ways as the grow older. Indeed, some of the unique features like meaningful online gaming which PC?s have always monopolized seems to be a target of the coming generation of consoles. While last generation?s attempt at and implementation of online gaming was poor, this time round things seem set to change. Why, this is so important is because this is the last absolutely unique feature that PC gaming has had (FPS and RTS has already been bridged to some extent) and this has been the conduit through which many have become initiated into PC gaming.

In response to those that might say PC gaming is not threatened and will always continue just as it always and this is just doom-saying that we've heard all before:

FACT - As above the PC games market is not growing and even shrinking despite recent releases of some big and long-awaited games. This alone obviously isn't enough to just assume the PC gaming industry is facing a long term and serious threat. However, longer-term realities are changing:

- Economically the industry is under threat regards development costs against sales: The cost of developing games is increasing (ever increasing graphics, physics trying to keep up with consoles while PC developers face added cost with developing for thousands of different setups - now in the future add dual-core, quad-core etc support and its a real expensive mess) while PC sales are not increasing. More particularly, the games out there few sell enough - only a few games make it past 500,000 copies. Thus, the PC market is a huge risk venture with very little change of making a good profit. This will mean there simply won't be many games coming out in the future while innovation will suffer at the same time.

- Economically the industry is under threat from the end-user perspective - As the rise of consoles continue so they will benefit from ever larger economies of scale that will make PC gaming comparatively more expensive. While, PC gaming may benefit as the R&D into graphics cards on the consoles may benefit the PC market as a whole consoles will be able to price themselves alot cheaper for a comparative gaming experience.

- Consoles are expanding to become multi-media centres. This includes massive online support planned (Xbox360 especially) while it is known that the Xbox 360 will have keyboard and mouse support - it's simply not known whether this will extend to game support or just data entry for the internet. Turning it to gaming use would be incredibly easy. Either way if they don't this it this generation keyboard and mouse gaming input will become de facto for the next generation for sure. These moves will threaten the tradition segements that have sustained the PC gaming industry (FPS, RTS and MMORPGs) - if just online support is proper and effective MMORPGs on the PC will be under pressure as casual gamers now no longer will have to go through the PC to play them.

Essentially, the PC faces long-term economic, infrastructural challenges. However, this becomes far more fundamental if consoles adopt the keyboard and mouse and continue their set strategy to push strongly into the online arena. If that arises what will PC have left that is 'unique' to justify the increased cost and less accessibility of gaming on PC? While many diehard PC gamers may stick with the PC regardless, they cannot support an industry alone - as consoles attract more people away from the PC, things will get more expensive both hardware and software as economies of scale change - that could risk starting a downward spiral. That said, It's too early to start doom-saying and I will not be doing so in this article. Despite there being some long-term threats to PC gaming and if left unacknowledge and countered the future for the PC gaming industry is grim, there is potential and areas for the PC industry streamline itself and grow. Fundamentally, to meet these challenges the PC industry just needs to make itself more profitable and differentiate the gaming experience it offers from the consoles, which is possible.

Therefore, to continue with some simple conjectures:

- That consoles and PC can co-exist so long as the PC gaming industry can differentiate itself from that of the consoles rather than trying to emulate the consoles strengths. PC gaming as an industry will never be able to compete with consoles head-on and so must use its architectural and platform differences to differentiate itself. Indeed, it must do so before consoles encroach on it too far and risk the situation where the industry is too enfeebled and too discredited a platform in the public?s eyes.

- To reassert that PC gaming will find it increasingly difficult to match the particular strengths of consoles - as a platform consoles are ever maturing, expanding, and get ever larger amounts of money behind them and in design getting more specialized, accessible and optimized for gaming.

- Games matter above all for the success of any platform rather than graphics. Graphics can certainly create a richer and more immersive gaming experience but without decent games it's worthless. Accordingly, the PC industry does not necessarily need to have a leading position graphical over consoles to be successful. Indeed, looking at the success of the Sims is validation of this point. Developers do not need focus so much on graphics - seemingly its often just for the 'elite' gamers, which is not where an industry can be solely based on.

Overview

With those in mind we need to examine the strengths and weaknesses of the PC industry and what it can do to build on them or otherwise limit their impact.

Strengths:
1 - Strong catalogue of existing PC titles (although are often untapped due to OS incompatibilities and now consoles have developed titles as well)
2 - Some excellent games and a still a dominance in FPS, RTS and MMORPG which has defined and guaranteed the survival of the PC industry (although if/when consoles begin to use the keyboard and mouse as gaming input devices this could be radically undermined)
3 - An enthusiastic modding community that has shown itself to be both talented and creative (this is a fundamental strength and I will come back to this later)

Weaknesses:
1 - PC hardware is inherently not as highly optimized as consoles and will therefore find it difficult to keep up with the console industry (although graphics are not of absolute importance)
2 - Consumer impatience at having to fiddle with drivers and settings to find acceptable/best possible gaming experience ? contrasted to the easily accessible ?plug-and-play? nature of consoles.
3 ? ?Gaming' hardware is inherently more expensive for the PC given consoles are subsidized and benefit from massive economies of scale due to its identical proprietary nature.
4 - Consumer ignorance of PC hardware acts as a serious barrier to viewing PC gaming as a real alternative to gaming on a console ie what simple and comparatively inexpensive hardware upgrades could turn their 'Office' PC into a good gaming platform.
5 - Developing games are too expensive. This is especially important as game development costs go up while the PC market remains comparatively small/stagnant and has the potential to put a ?squeeze? on the PC gaming industry where its pushed into obscurity. Moreover, this is linked to all the varying PC hardware setups increasing development costs.
6 ? PC gaming is increasingly suffering at the hands of pirates which in an industry, which is experiencing a squeeze is incredibly detrimental.

Closer examination of the list of strengths and weaknesses:

The two major factors consoles will always have over PCs that they are more optimized and are plug-and-play. However, while PCs can never match those two factors, they can strive to bridge this game ? to become more streamlined both in optimizations but also in accessibility. The latter is of absolute importance to court the masses of casual gamers. Moreover, consoles benefit from comparatively cheap costs at least initially to get into console gaming. In contrast, the PC industry for consumers minds seems expensive and generally a confusing, fiddly, less social, inaccessible platform. Nevertheless, the industry has still demanded attention from any gamers wishing to game online, or play FPS and RTS. As said above, this may be changing. In short, the only real unique long-term strength of the PC is its moddable nature of its games. This is something I cannot stress enough how important it is.

While other aspects of PC gaming such as online gaming can be wrenched from the PC industry regards the masses of casual, ?not too fussed? gamers, the ?modable? nature of PC games can provide the differentiation PC games need to meaningfully survive. Reiterating - PCs cannot compete directly with consoles ? the console wars are fiercely cutthroat enough without another competitor which has inherent disadvantages. In short, PC gaming must offer something different and richer to justify to gamers why they should invest in PC gaming given its comparative disadvantages otherwise (cost, accessibility etc). Only the richness and individuality as expressed through modding can allow this. This is perhaps the greatest new growth area in the gameplay and nature of games.

Developers have always tried to offer as broad, immersive, freeform and individual an experience in games as possible - however, with an open style of game and a modding community all these things can be realized - and more as users can customize their very gaming experience. This can be best seen with the game Morrowind. The PC version with its expansion packs and mods is an incredibly far cry from its console brethren. Thus, modding is something which is inherently exclusive in the nature of PCs general and flexible architecture which consoles can never attempt. Consoles particular architecture and indeed their business structure makes this impossible.

Summarised version of what can be done to counter PC weaknesses and build on its strengths:

- A more optimised gaming environment perhaps with a 'gaming OS' (and more optimised 'DirectX' if feasible) (to help cut the minimise the inherent difference in gaming power for specs so as to make PCs more hardware competitive or lessen the need to spend money on upgrades fopr the end user)
- A more streamlined and accessible gaming environment - auto-updating drivers and patches (to make it more accessible for consumers)
- The increased use of middleware (increased profitability and thus to allow a greater production of games)
- The use of Direct Distribution (increased profitability and freeing creativity as entry costs are very low)
- Better marketting to consumers (the raise the awareness of PCs as a viable (cost and accessibility) and exciting (modding and freedom enjoyed) platform)

Detailed examination of the strengths of weaknesses:

Discuss those strengths:

1 - PCs do have the greatest and most developed and diverse catalogue of titles but currently, alot of these remain untapped or ignored. Often, incompatabilities in the MS OSs prevent many titles being run. eg some titles need Windows 98 to run. While there are workarounds possible such as dual booting or finding patches or hacks this is a convoluted process that is beyond what a casual gamer wants - he just wants to quickly play the game.

What could be done about this is to create a 'gaming OS' or perhaps more specifically a more compatible stripped down version of Windows. This could be done simply where say in Windows XP you are given an extra boot setting where you can boot into Windows where all extraneous processes are cut out, reducing overhead while at the same time increasing compatibility eg where Windows 98 kernel could be accessible.

2 - PCs have a lead over consoles in FPS and RTS and this is thanks to the implementation of keyboard and a mouse. Without these, consoles will never be quite able to approach PCs in these areas and will guarantee the survival of the PC gaming industry. Thankfully, the XBox 360 appears to be able to use the keyboard and mouse setup only as data input (although this could change very easily). Should the keyboard and mouse not be implemented, this will also allowed other genres like developed flight Sims and MMORPGS to remain firmly in the territory of PCs. Of those genres, FPS and MMORPGS are particularly important to industry as MMORPGs account for an ever larger marketshare of the gaming industry, while both are the main forces pushing and financing hardware development on PC - this is as contrasted to RTS RTS.

3 - The modding community is something I have experience first hand with Morrowind and all I can say is I am amazed by the commitment and talent of individuals that have enriched the gaming experience of so many. As I've stated before, this is something utterly unique to the PC industry and will remain so as the consoles can never copy this because of how optimized they are and the control the consoles and developers which to retain over their product.

Meanwhile, the PC industry as a whole is far liberal and should embrace that ? the very nature of pc computing tends towards the liberal and democratic. However, the PC gaming industry needs to capitalize and harness this force, while at the same time streamlining the very nature of modding so its simpler to the end user. Consequently, game developers should encourage modding actively by providing the high-level, detailed yet easy to use modding tools. Already, this can be seen to some extent with many games like Morrowind, X2 The Threat and Half Life 2. However, this needs to be really encouraged and pushed as to my mind only Morrowind has really been successful with harnassing a modding community and undoubtedly they have benefited from it.

If it was successfully marketed to a wider audience (eg at a simple level get PC games magazines involved ? I don?t know if they are already but it would make sense given the limited number of PC games coming out meaning they would benefit from added content to their magazine) undoubtedly many more people might have bought Morrowind. Fundamentally, if all major games had a strong modding community behind it where you could customize and overhaul your game any way you wanted, then suddenly PC gaming would become radically more appealing the gaming masses. I cannot stress enough how modding can add variety, richness and individuality (in a society which stresses individuality this could strike a very strong chord) and how important this could be. This could completely overhaul and become a force that galvanizes the whole PC industry. Indeed, the very people working on these mods can be the future developers ? mods can bring people into the industry on a massive scale impossible with the current publishers. Moreover, they?ll come into the industry inhibited and with their own unique ideas that can only lead to more diverse and interesting games in the future ? something which consoles in their mainstream and singular nature would be too afraid to touch.

Nevertheless, to properly make modding appealing to the masses it needs to be made accessible and that means direct involved from the game developers themselves. This is something they have shied away from eg Morrowind where it?s left to third parties to host, develop and keep track of all the mods. I?m arguing that while the original game developers should keep distanced from the mods, they should host and look after a central website hosting all the mods. This centralization is key to making it more accessible.

Currently, with Morrowind there are at least 5 different websites hosting various different mods of different version making it very difficult for end users to keep track. Consequently, I suggest game developers should keep creating an official mod hosting website (like MWsummit), while at the same time having a section of general encouraged mods like Telesphorus?s List O? Mods ">http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm</a>. Moreover, the make this even more accessible to users they need to set it up as a database such that users can send in their current list of mods they use to check against the central database for any updates to those mods. If this was done automatically every time the game started and even offered a possibility for automatic downloads ? this would end up as an amazingly streamlined and accessible for modding such that it could be successfully marketed to people.

As for how this could be supported, it could either be done so through advertising as so many people would visit the webpage and perhaps some sort of small fee per year that would also allow the auto-updating service. Indeed, a further option would be through using torrent technology in distribution radically taking the costs off the game developers so the finances needed to set the service up and establish it would be minimal. This would make it even more attractive to developers and particularly significantly, the smaller less established developers who would lack the resources to set up a direct service and pay for the bandwidth. Moreover, it would help foster an even greater PC gaming community. Of the current upcoming games, Elder Scrolls: Obivion is in a prime position to do this with their extensive, pre-existing and enthusiastic modding community.

In a way perhaps with modding, the PC industry could survive on far less games being produced given that through modding a game can suddenly represent a massive wealth of game experiences sometimes utterly different the original games eg you can see many complete game overhaul mods which end up offering nigh an entirely different game eg there is an attempt to make a Babylon 5 based mod for Freespace 2. I need not even mention all the future mods for Half Life 2. In short, mods could completely revolutionise the PC industry where the PC industry does not need to even produce many games to compete with consoles as modding can more than make up for that.

Discussing those weaknesses:

1+2 - Combining points 1 and 2 about hardware not being optimized and consumer incomprehension at fiddling with settings and updating drivers: fundamentally the PC industry needs to make every attempt to streamline the gaming experience for the end user. In my mind this is the chief challenge for the PC gaming industry (this is why I have already tried to suggest some ways it could streamline the modding experience for end users). Extrapolating to the hardware side of things, auto-updating drivers and patches for any game is a real necessity.

This means like Windows Update, drivers for your graphics card would auto-update for you (I think the new ATI Control Panel interface can attempt something like this) while any new patches for the game would auto-update as well eg Far Cry would prompt you/update itself to version 1.3 for you. This would radically simplify any possible glitches that users might find in trying to play games or at least in the minds of gamers reassure them that the PC can provide a good and simple gaming experience ? in a way the PC gaming industry is faced with a battle for minds of casual gamers in attempting to get over its diehard/overly-complex/glitchy gaming experience.

Now the second suggestion I would make is to have a separate gaming OS or perhaps rather a separate start-up mode for gaming which would streamline the PC to remove nearly all background processes and services and thus unneeded legacy. Already with the X2 dual-core review">http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=7</a>we have seen how a second-core taking the load of all the background processes has sometimes allowed it to equal the speed of a single-core processor 200mhz faster. Now, while this may not be that significant with such high-speed processors, if someone was operating a lower speed processor it would become far more significant.

Ultimately, the ideal would be to offer a streamline OS which even entailed some optimizations for gaming such that the performance benefit would be far more than 200mhz. Unfortunately, discussing optimizations one of the most important areas where PC fall down in regards of consoles is in the use of DirectX as opposed to direct writing to the hardware. Just to quote a figure about 50% of CPU power can be 'wasted' in going through DirectX. While this is inherent in the nature of PC hardware, if there was a way for MS to optimize DirectX further, the PC gaming industry would benefit radically.

To summarise, PCs will struggle with comparative un-optimization next to consoles but there is still real and very significant opportunity for the PC industry to close the gap with consoles. This will become ever more important as consoles comparatively increase in power and specialization. In a way I see a possible future where the PC industry is constantly playing catch-up with consoles and only being able to do so towards the very end of a console?s life. Of course, remember graphics are only of comparative importance ? games being far more so and so this is of only relative importance to the gaming industry.

3+4 - Combining points: unfortunately PC hardware will always be more expensive than console hardware ? this is just a matter of economies of scales and manufacturing refinement with its maturity ie when 50 million identical pieces of hardware is shipped there are massive cost advantages. However, this is only relative and must be further reviewed. Often people have bough systems with quite power processors but weak graphics card. If users decided to just stick in a competent graphics card (eg one might recommend now the 6600GT) and perhaps an extra stick of RAM they could have a very decently performing gaming box. This would be at equal cost or perhaps cheaper than a console although contemporary markets and technology will rule over this. As such the price difference between a console and a gaming PC setup is often not seemingly as great as might initially be.

Unfortunately, it?s the end user?s ignorance and general suspicion and fears of upgrading hardware that is acting as a barrier to this. The gaming community as a whole needs to be targeted to convince them that upgrading hardware is not a difficult thing or something to worry about. Moreover, knowledge of what to upgrade to provide the best bang/buck and meet their minimum standards must be disseminate widely, truthfully and freely. ie those consumers with 1280x1024 might be recommended the X700XT, 6600GT or 9800Pro. Both PC games magazines and hardware sites could be much clearer on this than they current are ? ie just simply state whether a card is good enough to play current and near-future games at X resolution. Often, recommendations are convoluted and fail to get to the central point of what a casual gamer might care about.

Essentially, hardware is one very complicated subject and is the very reason why sites like anandtech can exist and where people can argue constantly about hardware! In short everything should be simplified and cards clearly and obviously labeled into categories of sufficiency eg gaming at 1280x1024 at medium-high detail level, 1280x1024 at near maximum settings and ditto with 1600x1200. If this information was included more clearly in game reviews, on the box of a game, or else interactively (forwarded to a contemporary database online even?) when a user was setting up the game, this would both simplify things but also most importantly reassure the casual gamer that the PC can provide an excellent gaming platform and inexpensively too. If PC games could also be produced more cheaply than consoles (discussed in the next point) and this was conveyed to the gamer this could even further reduce the price discrepancy with consoles and appeal even more to gamers.

However, at the same time, hardware manufacturers (namely Nvidia and ATI) could make their product lines much simpler to understand to the consumer by having only several as opposed to a multitude of products - ie low-end, midrange, and high end, so that it is easy to relate to the consumer. Moreover, in specification if they were simpler eg a low-end card should not be matched with 256MB of RAM when by and large 64MB would be more than sufficient. In, short the hardware industry in trying to get ahead of eachother must share some of the blame in confusing the consumer for their immediate gain, when in the long term if they corroborated to just a small degree and set up some standards it would be to the benefit of the gaming industry and them in the long-term.

5 ? About costs of developing games: The PC industry cannot directly do anything about the increased costs of developing for so many different platforms as that is inherent in the nature of PC hardware. However, there is a much more serious problem facing the PC gaming industry that cost of developing games especially with the increasing graphical detail is becoming radically more expensive which is set against relatively small sales of each title. For many years now development costs have been increasing faster than revenue from game sales (this is a situation consoles do not find themselves) and consequently, the number of titles coming out on the PC has been declining such that there are few big releases each year. While the PC industry could survive with a relatively small number of gaming titles (so long as these sell well ie a few that sell well, not many that sell poorly) given a developed modding community whose work is made readily accessible and marketed to gamers, the PC industry still needs to fight this trend to ensure it doesn?t decline too far. This can be done through two means ? through the use of direct distribution ala Steam and the use of more middleware.

If costs were reduced successfully through these means the savings can either be passed onto gamers and back as profits to developers. As such it can only be a positive influence on the industry as it becomes healthier and more games are sold/made - A more profitable industry where more games are sold will stimulate the industry to produce more games, and more importantly, more diverse and creative games. Often creativity is stifled by conservative publishers and that development costs are too high too take risks with something more creative. Steam is a system that might just be able to liberate developers from this. While many people criticize Steam, the PC gaming industry may look back on it in future as a god-send that pushed the industry forward to where it has a new Renaissance.

Through direct distribution costs can be massively reduced meaning more creative games could be produced. Moreover, it?d weaken the power-hold of publishers over developers meaning developers could take a game in their own direction according to their specific vision. While I don?t foresee the end of publishers I see their roles changing and being far more limited: their role may shift towards being much more weighted towards supplying the initial capital, while marketing to consumers takes a lesser part. Moreover, they may assume a greater role of offering support/oversight/expertise for less established developing studios. Ultimately, these services would be for a cut of the studios profits at the end but this cut would be smaller than currently exists while profit margins would still be higher.

Steam, or rather its technology is a real opportunity for the PC gaming industry ? the fact that it is successful at limiting piracy is another big boon the PC gaming industry often too used to being exploited by pirates. However, it is still at a relative stage of infancy as its dependent on widespread broadband adoption while because of its intangible physical form will require more marketing on part of the studios to ensure customer confidence and awareness of the products.

On further thought on using Steam, the costs could even be further reduced if they included using Torrent technology in its distribution ie if you were happy to use your PC to aid extra bandwidth you could either purchase the game more cheaply or alternatively receive premium content or service (the latter is probably much more viable). Of course, before this this could be implemented regards the modding community, fitting in perfectly with its liberal, democratic nature.

The second measure of using middleware (in the sense of offering the basic physics and graphical engines of future games) will perhaps become more important in the longer term future rather than more immediately. This will be a response to increasing graphical and physical complexity demanded in gaming worlds. However, I foresee the idea of middleware as a rather interesting grey area which merges with the idea of the modding community ? in a way the modding community use games as middleware for their own visions just as game development studios might use some engine for their own visions. This could become an interesting cyclical and self-fueling model ? say as costs go down and amateurs gain experience creating mods, suddenly a group could very easily create a team that could take middleware (either a game engine or else properly designated middleware) and produce their own end game. That provides a very exciting prospect.

In all, regarding cost cutting and the use of ?middleware?, the PC has opportunities the console industry will not have at least in its current form. The console makers are unlikely to ever use technology such as Steam (at least in this generation of consoles) given their conservative nature and their will to retain control over content (especially Sony and their will to do all things proprietary eg Blu-Ray) meaning a preference to retain a physical disk. Moreover, console buyers might be up in arms over distributed content as no longer will they be able to take their disk round to their friends house etc or even sell it. As such, it would seem take up on such technology would be slow even if offered. The PC industry would not face such problems.

6 - While I'm not going to make the ridicuolous assumption that every pirated game would equal a sale it is clear that the PC industry would benefit from less piracy. Looking objectively at the lucrative hardware industry that PC gaming, it must become apparent that PC gaming is much bigger than its sales otherwise how else could it be supported quite as successfully. In a sense, while pirating can be a rather effective way of introducing people to PC gaming it only really supports the hardware vendors and not the PC gaming industry itself. Therefore, every step should be sought to limit it as far as possible yet produce games as cheaply as possible to appeal to those who might be otherwise tempted to pirate them.

Additional viewpoint about how this might be coordinated:

Because, of the difficulty in pushing such changes across such a multititude of sometime conflicting parties, an official and progressive PC Gaming Executive Council should be established. It should include all parties involved in the industry - game developers, hardware manufacturers (eg ATI and Nvidia), Microsoft and publishers to discuss the PC gaming industry and how to push it forward as quickly as possible to make it a more viable, attractive, exciting and profitable platform which is in the best interests of all. This is is given because the PC gaming industry is no longer competing internally but rather as a platform others in the form of consoles. Only through some sort of centralized effort can the PC gaming platform hope to evolve itself quickly to meet the growing challenges from consoles. Through unified action of all parties in various ways can the PC be very effectively streamline and optimised and made as a gaming platform accessible and marketted successfully to the wider gaming masses.

Conclusion

Well after a long spiel, that is my assessment of the PC gaming industry. Accordingly, I see the current situation of the PC industry not as under mortal threat by consoles but rather in a position of great opportunity in which they can ensure not only their survival but prosperity into the future. So long as the current generation of consoles do not use they keyboard and mouse setup as gaming input devices, the PC industry will be given enough time to realign itself. Otherwise, it is endangered of being dealt a withering blow before it can which would raise questions of its long-term survival as a primary gaming industry. The industry cannot survive on the modding community alone as it currently stands - they need to be nurtured while costs are radically reduced.

Thus, these next few years will be significant in whether the industry will revolutionize itself or end up accepting a position of increasing relative decline. In the long term, consoles are increasingly encroaching on the PC gaming industry and while they may not do so to create an irrecoverable position for the PC industry this time ? the long term they undoubtedly will. The PC gaming industry must respond to this tenaciously and with a will to revolutionize itself: to optimize itself to be closer at keeping up with consoles; to streamline the gaming experience (eg ?gaming OS? + auto-updating and auto-patching); to inform and more widely disseminate information to relate the unique richness of the PC experience + the relative ease/inexpense of having a gaming machine; to streamline production and development costs to ensure more plentiful and more creative games and to build on the strengths and to streamlining the modding to more widely act as a base to galvanize the PC gaming industry.

In short, what is suggested is a radical and complete overhaul of the PC gaming industry that would change its very nature. To do so, it would need to overcome it?s conservative elements within, while undertake this as a concerted plan and rally the various factions and groups to push the industry forward ? the question fundamentally is ? can this be done and can it be done quickly enough? The PC gaming industry still has time ? the consoles are still some way away. Meanwhile, it?ll take even longer for games to fully utilize their potential and even longer for HDTVs to be taken up enough. Moreover, with such promising technology as the PhysiX Processing Unit, there is real potential for the PC gaming industry. In the meantime games will still be ported from consoles to PC and vice versa from PC to console, but the PC gaming industry?s long term survival is dependant on it having its own strength and its own differentiate products and gaming experience.

--------------------------------

I look forward to any comments. If anyone?s has read this and appreciated the article please say so. More generally, I look forward to anyone?s input and I will gladly respond to any comments or indeed criticisms made.

(NB this is at a mostly complete edit at least regards posting on a forum, I may edit and qualify things more later - nevertheless, as I said this is to provoke discussion and analysis of the PC gaming industry so I do not claim knowing any absolute truths here)

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I will be the first to say that I can only think of a single strength the consoles have, although it's also a weakness at the same time. Every console is the same, so testing games is easy. Thus we get bugless that require zero patches. The problem with this is, you can't upgrade consoles, and therefore must straight up wait for 3-5 years to get the next one. Bugs are a huge frustration in the PC world, but at least we can patch bad gameplay too. And in 6 months I can upgrade my RAM to keep up with games.

Other than that, PC's can do anything consoles can do. With support for cloned game controllers and even adapters to use the same controllers, PC's have better flexibility in game controls. FPS and RTS games are better handled with a mouse and keyboard, something consoles do not have. Racing games and sports games are better with a controller, something a PC can have, and therefore works on both. The only thing here is that there are more and better games on consoles by default.

Personally, I have both. But I will say, often I wish a console game were on the PC and never the other way around.

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
This thread is not about how pc games might be better than console games or vice versa - it's about what the PC industry may need to do if it wishes to survive in any meaningful way.

Currently, consoles are increasingly marinalizing PC games - even though PC games sales have not been decreasing the fact that costs are increasing much faster threaten its long term survival. Either revenues need to increase (more specifically $ per game rather than as an industry) or else costs need to decrease. In my mind the success of the PC gaming industry depends on bridging some of the gap to the more casual gamers.

As it stands now consoles have over the PC gaming industry:
- convience in gaming
- simplicity of hardware (lack of drivers) --> confidence in console gaming
- low cost of hardware comparatively
- a wealth of games (but PCs can compete on quality)
- a more immeditiaely social gaming experience

While the PC gaming industry can do the same as the console industry eg with controllers, TV out etc it can only do this at far greater financial cost while doing so also necesitates an investment of time and energy - far beyond what a casual gamer would be happy to do. This thread is not about how informed ardent gamers can take advantage of the PC's general architecture but how the PC because of its complexity is failing to serve the casual gamer successfully and is paying the according price - being marginalized and being faced with being driven into obscurity.

Mar 19, 2003
That was an extremely long post, but you made some very good points, and it was well written, so I don't have a whole lot to add. :)

I personally have no problems spending upwards of $300 on a video card, but I also realize I'm in the vast minority overall. Although yes, a perfectly good gaming experience can still be had with video cards that cost half that or less (I've just decided I prefer higher settings, etc).

Your recommendations make a lot of sense and I basically agree with them (things do need to be made easier for the "average" gamer, if at all possible) - but I'm not sure how likely any of these things are to happen. I would like to think that even though costs are rising, PC gaming can still prosper - and in a way, your point about middleware is already being exploited to some extent (think Unreal Engine 3 and the licensees thereof).

Good read overall. :thumbsup:

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
Thank you for your comment SynthDude2001 - I really appreciate it. ..I spent rather too long on writing all of that so I welcome any comment. :)

In a way most of the ideas are already at some stage of implementation or otherwise not that great a leap to get there - the problem is that alot of very different factions would have to act concertedly and with belief that it will benefit everyone in the long term.

I mean, the modding community is already highly established and increasingly centralised as websites like MWsummit or halflifesource can show - I think now it just needs to go that step further and be fully embraced by the game developers. Steam is already in action and proven albeit limited to Half Life 2 - will others dare risk upsetting their relationship with the publisher (necessary for their start-up capital) to make the leap? On the good side we are increasingly seeing internet updates being embraced but they need to do so fully - the pace needs to be accelerated. Finally, however will Microsoft have to desire to streamline gaming on windows - streaminlining an OS setup for it or otherwise seeking every last optimisation with DirectX when they are now heavily invested in consoles and may not wish to see the PC gaming industry too streamlined. With Microsoft producing Windows and DirectX is this really a conflict of interests?

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
The only meaningful numbers on this topic are.

PC Gaming Industry $1billion per year in business
Console Gaming Industry $8billion per year in business

And thats just the United States. The PC game industry isnt dying, it will probably always hover around that $1billion mark.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Diasper
Thank you for your comment SynthDude2001 - I really appreciate it. ..I spent rather too long on writing all of that so I welcome any comment. :)

In a way most of the ideas are already at some stage of implementation or otherwise not that great a leap to get there - the problem is that alot of very different factions would have to act concertedly and with belief that it will benefit everyone in the long term.

I mean, the modding community is already highly established and increasingly centralised as websites like MWsummit or halflifesource can show - I think now it just needs to go that step further and be fully embraced by the game developers. Steam is already in action and proven albeit limited to Half Life 2 - will others dare risk upsetting their relationship with the publisher (necessary for their start-up capital) to make the leap? On the good side we are increasingly seeing internet updates being embraced but they need to do so fully - the pace needs to be accelerated. Finally, however will Microsoft have to desire to streamline gaming on windows - streaminlining an OS setup for it or otherwise seeking every last optimisation with DirectX when they are now heavily invested in consoles and may not wish to see the PC gaming industry too streamlined. With Microsoft producing Windows and DirectX is this really a conflict of interests?

VUGames wouldnt have been as upset if they were just the publisher. VUGames owns the Half Life franchise. Its why Valve and VU dont get along.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
I liked the first part of your post -- but then it became four screenfuls of text with NO PARAGRAPH BREAKS. And I had to stop, because it hurt my eyes.

I beg you, please break your text into paragraphs so it's readable. :)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Too long to read, but I'm sure I agree with something you said, cept for the parts I disagree with.

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
I'm in the process of editing this currently but hovering around 4,000 words please be patient. (I have the lady coming over tonight and she won't tolerate me editing this instead of paying attention to her!)

It'll end up with a nice readable and accessible synopsis at the end. :)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Sigh. It looks like a large clump of text to me.

I believe the PC gaming industry needs to smarten up a hell of a lot.

Its all well and good having cutting edge hardware but the compatibility issue is just ludacris. 3 Sockets to govern the 2 largest cpu competitors, the migration from AGP to PCI-E, the variability of graphics cards/drivers....

We need some stronger standards. Perhaps reduce the number of different engines around and make them more modular to reduce bugs/incompatibility problems.

One major thing is the big 4, AMD/Intel and ATI/Nvidia, really need to stop playing the average customer for fools. 256mb FX5200's and 256mb on a 9000 is really just like robbing the blind. I guess that discourages the average joe from pc gaming 'its got big numbers but it runs crap on my pc' *shrugs*.

Socket differences confuse consumers. They confuse me but only because I havent paid enough attention to them. Im happy with my Socket A for performance and an upgrade now is a complete waste of money to me. Bring back the days of the Super Socket 7 where AMD/Intel shared the same platform. Not going to happen these days with HTT and HTT but if the gaming industry wants to survive, the big companies must be prepared to consolidate technology to make PC Gaming more attractive. They have quite a bit to lose if they dont help.

Convergence and standards would make it easier to compare/contrast and to upgrade.

To be honest, over a 2 year period.... considering purchase of a gaming PC and 10 games compared to a console + office PC + the 10 games, its not that much different since PC games on the whole are cheaper on release (£30-35 here) and it would help offset the balance.

Ive just came out of a 2 hour exam, Management Science for Accountants, Im tired so if I havent made much sense and left half my points out, just nod and agree :)

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Matthias99
I liked the first part of your post -- but then it became four screenfuls of text with NO PARAGRAPH BREAKS. And I had to stop, because it hurt my eyes.

You must have a small screen ;)

...Sorry couldn't resist.

I hear you guys - I will edit this monster. And yes, if anyone was wondering I wasn't planning to write as much as I did...

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Diasper
Originally posted by: Matthias99

You must have a small screen ;)

...Sorry couldn't resist.

I hear you guys - I will edit this monster. And yes, if anyone was wondering I wasn't planning to write as much as I did...

I recommend uploading it to a website. Its a little awful reading that much in a Forum-environment.

shukusatsu

May 17, 2005
The PC Gaming industry will never die, it will just never EVER be as big as the console industry for obvious reasons. What some devoted PC gamers don't seem to understand is that the vast majority of people out there still have no clue about what?s inside their computer, and most don't and will never care. In there lies the inherent advantage of consoles. Most people only buy one of the 3 (or however many) consoles per generation, so they drop $500 at launch (system, controllers, memory cards, games, etc..) once every 5 years. That is the only large investment. Even if they subscribe to an online service at $30 a month or however much it is and buy a new game every month at $50 each, which most people don't, they will still only spend about $5,300 every 5 years on consoles, games and services. This, of course, doesn't take into account new consoles if one breaks, repairs, add-ons, etc.. but this also makes very broad generalizations in terms of purchasing, for arguments sake, an average guy would probably spend about $1,000 a year for a console. They don't have to worry about building a system, compatibility, game performance, or many of the other issues PC gamers face. Buy the game, put it in, turn it on, and you are good to go. Not to mention it is becoming a wildly accepting social activity among gamers and non-gamers alike.

For a PC gamer starting from scratch, you are going to drop at least $1500 as an initial investment (BARE minimum, probably closer to $2000 including monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc..), 3-4 times that of a console gamer. This doesn't include the fact that your gaming machine is much more likely to break down or have other problems and also that you will need to continually upgrade it for better performance. Every console gamer can expect the same performance as everyone else that has the same system. I can't really get into the specific numbers for how much upgrades, maintenance and games cost for a PC since every person is different, but given the initial cost and the high cost of new upgrades, a PC gamer spends alot more per year on average than a console gamer. The money situation is an obvious advantage for consoles in my opinion, but I am sure many of you will disagree.

Advantages PC gamers may have had in the past will soon by gone or severely diminished with every new generation of consoles. Consoles are now becoming the home entertainment systems that PCs are or try to be. Consoles can play DVD's, new formats (Blu-Ray w/ PS3), music, multiple televisions, whatever, so on and so forth with little or no need for extra purchases (except for the obvious TV or whatever, I'm talking console wise). Consoles will also have excellent online support in the near future at affordable rates. I wouldn't mind dropping $30 a month to play people from around the world in games like Halo or Madden. What is the difference between that and say WoW besides genre preference?

I am not bashing PC gamers or the industry, I still game alot on my PC because I still find it to be a better gaming experience with many games (most obviously and importantly First Person Shooters), but consoles are the mainstream and will always have inherent advantages over PC's, especially to the mainstream public, which means their profits will always be higher.

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
I hope the authors do not mind me quoting them here but some quotes from other topics similiar to this that are particularly relevant and good contributions:

I dont think PC gaming will die, cause people like to make extra maps and mods to the games while you cannot do that with a console game, you could but i haven't heard of any modded console game yet. Quake I, II, and III for the PC is a classic Example, lots of mods and maps to the game which made it more enjoyable.

No death to pc gaming. Won't ever happen. PC gaming gives you a totally different experirnce. Granted for the very first time the graphics on the console finally passed up the PC but that won't last too long. Playing with a keyboard, downloading intricate mods for games, playing shooters online with xfire and other apps, having a really nice dell LCD close to you're face is just a better gaming experience IMO than a console. I will undoubtably get one of the two new consoles but it will be for the kids and sports games (no shooters until later). Also both our kids build PC's with me (my wife helps too sometimes). It's a family thing and i don't see consoles taking that over because we havea gamecube, xbox, and PS2 (on a 42" big screen) and we sold all of them after we played sports games for a while. They (we) simply enjoy the PC experience alot better. So yeah, the console will be faster for a while, but it won't last that long. Maybe a year.

I guess what i would like to see, is a drastic reduction in the price of pc hardware to keep the scene alive...as a compulsive upgrader, it often breaks my bank. I love sports games the best, and also ravenshield...i am not supporting the death of pc-gaming..im deathly afraid of it....the only thing i love better then building a new machine is....my wife. And it's close... ;-)

Nice post. I don't think PC gaming will be going anywhere. It may slow down though for a while until it leapfrogs the consoles again. Ironically if it does slow down i actually expect better games for the PC. Games don't have to be techically advaned to be good games, they just need to be fun IMO.

People don't seem to get it. Development costs are going to sky rocket to such a point that there is no way to make a PC only game unless you're valve or blizzard. Do some math and figure out how a game that sells 500,000 units is going to make any money if development costs are 10-15 million. Economics do change. Mainstream PC's (intel graphics are in half of pcs) are still SLOWER than Xbox1 with it's geforce 3.5. It wasn't until the release of the Radeon 9700 that PC's gained the upper hand on xbox1 and ps2 (in a practical rather than purely technological sense). 6800U/x850XT is 16 pipelines and the xbox 360, the slowest of the new systems is 48. All of the new systems have heavily multicore cpus, games won't be written for dualcore x86 cpus for another couple years. Do you see the overall thrust of this? By the time the economics are in place to make developing PC games of the quality as nextgen systems feasible, the consoles will have been out for years. I'm a lifelong PC gamer, I have a PS2 because I love GTA games and am impatient, but that's it. I'll be saving my money for a 24" LCD and a PS3 to run in full 1080p and not a Geforce8.

People won't stop playing games on computers, but gamers might.

PC gaming won't die, sure it might slow down a little, but not die cause PC gaming as something consoles don't, flexibliity. You can literally buy a game and play it for a whole year, using different mods and online. Console games are too focused on graphics and less on game play. Don't need the fanciest game, just something fun to play with friends.

as long as they're making GTA's and FPS's then i'll be a pc gamer. nothing beats A,S,D,W, and a mouse for visual range and motion.

The only thing that will seriously damage (not kill, PC gaming will never "die" completely) is when and if all console games for whatever system accept a keyboard and mouse as the controls. When that happens, I pretty much have no reason to play PC games because by that time console online support will be solid and the only thing I play on a PC is things that require me to aim a gun in first person (FPS?).

Let's not talk about consoles. Just take a look at the state of the PC gaming industry in general. Behold the same tired gameplay rehashed and rehashed all over again. Creativity has gone down the crapper in developers. Just look at the number of WW2 shooters are out there. And D3/HL2/Far Cry. And UT/UT2003/UT2004. Is there any significant gameplay improvements between them? There is also this new genre of PC games becoming rather popular: Rushed PC games.

The delivery of the games itself has sunk down to a deeper hole than before. Will you like games that cannot even work out from the box, but left on the mercy of the developer on whether they want to make a fix or not? Or will you like games you paid for that dictates you not to run it whenever it detects a DVD writer in your system? No doubt all these nonsense will piss gamers off, and left them baffled why did they spent $2000 for a gaming PC in the first place.

Is there any future left in PC gaming other than better and better graphics and physics each year?

Another large part of the problem is our consumeristic society. If there is anything they can sell you to make life more convenient, by God they certainly will - we're becoming so spoiled and pampered that our health is starting to suffer. Make it illegal to use elevators unless you're handicapped, and remove the concept of drive-throughs altogether, and you'd see America's physical activity uptick a large amount.
- I've quoted this one, because it hits the nail on the head - though capitalism with have become a consumerist society (the West etc) which is based more importantly on convience - the majority of people don't want to go throught too much effort to get somewhere. So in an industry which needs to sell to the masses because of development costs that's very important.

Consoles and games will not kill PC gaming, game developers will kill it. Not much money is in PC gaming, the money is in console gaming. Unfortunately the game developers today make titles for consoles first them port to PC. But as long as games still come out for PC I will still prefer PC over any console. Even if I have a game on a console, I would most likely get the PC version if it comes out. Case in point: GTA San Andreas, played it twice on my PS2 but will get it for the PC just to play it at a much higher resolution

I am a gamer in general, whether its on PC or a console. I own many PCs and around 18 consoles. Even the bad ones (Jaguar, DS et al) and as long as there is something to play great games on I don't care what it is. If PC games die, fine, PS3 or PS2000 or whatever is out at the time will still be there for my gaming needs. While I have always preferred PC gaming its only because of the better resolution, game updates, online gaming and better peripherals. Of all the console systems I have had throughout the years, the only games I bought for them were exclusive to them. IE all zelda games, FF games, you get my drift. Lets just enjoy gaming in general. Remember, its we, the consumers, who control the market.

Happy Gaming.
Unfortunately, more specifically the masses of gamers control the market who are casual and want convience.

You also need to consider, no matter how good the consoles get, people will still buy home computers to do real work. Consoles will never be seen as work machines. They may get some usefull functions, like E-Mail, and web browsing, but the livingroom TV isn't where people want to do work. I would never do my taxes on a console.

As a result, there are and will continue to be millions of PCs out there that easily run games. A large portion of those PC owners will be willing to buy games. Combine a platform that isn't going away with people willing to play games on them, and you have a market that isn't going to die.
- Yes, so long as people can be convinced that the PC platform is a viable platform (ie accessible) and inexpensive (ie through a simple and inexpensive upgrade (- that might be cheaper than an Xbox say), they can turn it into a good gaming platform.

that's what i got out of it. for 1800 canadian, i got a decent cpu, ram and motherboard, hardrives, case etc. i still would need a better graphics card ( i have a 9800 SE) 5.1 surround speakers, better keyboard and mouse etc etc. I probably couldn't live without my computer and i do like gaming on it, but for a huge % of the market out there, buying an xbox or playstation is way cheaper and easier to get up and running.

always say that if you fully want to enjoy gaming, you have to own both a PC and a console(s). But, if you were to make a compromise for gaming, a console is a cheaper and more secure bet since it lasts 5 years and still outputs good games. Let's put graphics aside for a moment. I played Legend of Zelda:Majora's mask on the gamecube (same as on N64) and the graphics suck. Yet it was a really fun game. Then you have Doom 3 that doesnt even touch this game even if you mulitplied its graphics by 10x further. The point is gaming is NOT only ABOUT GRAPHICS. It is about having fun and gameplay. Then the most important question for you to ask is -- do I have more fun playing platform, sports, fighting, action-adventure, rpg, racing games on a console?? or FPS, Massively multiplayer, RTS on a PC?

I agree with you. It's about the gameplay, not the graphics. I still play the n64 all the time, and most of the games that I have for that are way better than xbox or new pc games out now.

And Longhorn will be as much entertainment as business. Microsoft knows that games are a huge part of the software industry. They own and publish many game titles. They aren't going to lessen support for gaming. Longhorn is going to have a new version of DirectX for example.
Here's hoping it's much more optimized and streamlined

The market has tanked itself. It may recover and it may not but let's face it, everyone going out and upgrading their rigs to high end machines will not change anything. We will still have the larger problem of rushed, poorly developed games saturating the market and that, in my opinion is the reason for the declining state of PC gaming.

i think that the better computers have killed the pc games. instead of trying to make a good, fun game, they have competitions to see who can make the best graphics, and who can make a game that only people with $10,000 computers can get, i too was sad that i got a new computer, and so far, ive only found 1 fun game, and it still isnt as fun as the games i used to play on my 400mhz celeron.
I feel this is a by-product of developers ambitions of wanting to realize their visions of a great game rather than gameplay. Perhaps, also they may tend to develop games for gamers in their own image - cutting edge and enthusiatic about the latest technology. As the Sims have shown, graphics aren't everything to selling many copies regards industry profitability.

You got some good points. I believe we've been tapped for about 3 years on what you need from a PC to do 90% of tasks. I mean I browse web on a old tbird, run excel..do all sorts of PC stuff that feels little different than my power box. In sum I feel a PC has become an applaince, not needing upgrades unless you 3D game or run heavy work station apps, that's like 10% of market.

If XB360/PS3 adds a Keyboard, Mouse, printer and full USB capability they could destory the PC market. You'd get a great game machine which all sorts of titles are written for, plus a PC "good enough" for 90% of users.

But that's a big if. You'd also need applications written and compatable and legacy support... not hard with basically PC hardware inside with a tweaked MS OS.

Since when can you mod console games to the point where you have an entirely new game?
Since when can you customize console games to the extent you can on PC games?
Since when can you play against 50+ people in a FPS shooter game on a console? Perfect Dark 0 suppozedly can is going to offer it, however I've personally been able to do that on a PC since 1998, 6.5 years ago...

My first Commodore 64 didn't cost as much as that. My first PC didn't cost as much as that. There were plenty of great games for those systems. The game market has gotten pretty sad, really. I've got a Sempron 2800 and this week I've been playing Warcraft II. I'd rather go back and playZork I than most of the stuff on the market today.

How good your system is really doesn't matter for gameplay. If I want to play FarCry or Doom III on my GeForce Ti 4200 all I have to do is turn off some of the eye candy. The problem is that none of these games are as much fun as the original Duke Nukem 3D was on my Pentium 90.

BAH-HUMBUG, The same thing was said about the PS2 and then again with the XBOX. What you are saying has been said so many times before and yet PC gaming is still here and will remain a powerfull force in the industy. Most game delopers are die hard PC gamerz them selves and is where places like EA, MS, and Valve recruit from (MOD Commnity). It is a place where new gaming concepts are first born and tried out long before they ever reach the console. "L337 G4m3rz" are are all Pioneers, just some of us are lacking the Necessary spirit.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Why upload it? It's a sophomoric essay. You obviously don't understand the industry, or technology. A gaming OS? Why would anybody get a gaming OS, to have their $1000+ computer turned into a console? Why not just get a console? I like the fact that my computer can have an email client in the background, bittorrent running, winamp playing music, two browsers opened side-by-side with a dozen tabs in each one... and if i need to burn something, i can just pop a DVD into the drive and start it without any problems.

Why not turn a console into a computer by adding more feature? Such as ability to multitask, services to help networking and filesharing, ability to find files and documents, add a word processor so i can type up some documents now and then, a browser to go to websites, ability for usb storage... and soon enough, you're going to get a console OS that's as 'bloated' as a PC OS. People always blame the OS, but it's not all the OS fault. Consoles are better optimized, because developers optimize whatever they have to work with... they have no choice, because consoles aren't upgraded... so they learn from their past experiences, and can apply them to future games. A PC developer will use TnL codes that are 5 years old 5 years ago, then find ways to optimize it in the next game... 4 years ago. But then the game after that, most people are using a completely new generation of cards that don't use that technology any longer, so why bother working on the original?

You're like every other knee-jerk reactionaries. You see this as a fight between PC and console... it's not, they're becomign the same thing. There's been talk about convergence for over 10 years, that our TV and computer will merge. THIS will be it... or at least the beginning of it. With HDTVs being so popular now, we can actually sit at our TV and browse the web. If you're watching TV, somebody can IM you on your xbox, and you'll get a notice while watching TV saying somebody has msged you... you'll then take the keyboard from under the coffee table, and type a reply.

Heck, xbox will have voip and even videochat that you can chat with other xboxer. Just sit in your couch infront of the tv, and video chat with other friends who have xbox. If this takes off, the protocol may even be standard... if not, we'll probably see a similar program like Trillian that would allow you to voip/videochat with other consoles/systems on yours.

Not all systems will be 'converged'.. there'll still be standalone TVs, and stand alone PCs... at least for the next 10 years or so (when OLED and 1080p become standard, who will need a PC). And games will still be made for the PC... if it's not, it's because consoles are just like PCs, or PCs are just like consoles. I can see a time in the near future when buying a PC, it will be a very small SFF PC that can be hooked up to a monitor, but also to a TV (maybe the next consoles will be a console that is meant to hook up to a TV, but can probalby be hooked up to a monitor).

Have a text input system, storage, and internet access, and the console can replace the PC for most people. Heck, 5 years ago, most computers didn't even have internet access. How about stuff like word, photoediting software, etc? Who knows, Google will probably create something web-based eventually (and this would probably be the biggest threat to MS ever).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Perhaps the PC gaming industry doesn't deserve to survive.

It looks like Prey is getting the same distrubition as HL2 "via steam". IF this is the ONLY method of delivery - then they have cut off those of us stuck on dial-up and they can go to hell.

If this is the PC gaming's "innovation" and soon to be mainstream, i WILL be getting a console [whichever on supports KB+mouse gets my $$$s]
:thumbsdown:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin

It looks like Prey is getting the same distrubition as HL2 "via steam". IF this is the ONLY method of delivery - then they have cut off those of us stuck on dial-up and they can go to hell.

If this is the PC gaming's "innovation" and soon to be mainstream, they can go to hell and i WILL be getting a console [whichever on supports KB+mouse gets my $$$s]

So what is your idea of innovation? Using a dog's tail as a paint brush? Sure it's different but is it what we really want? As someone who missed out on Quake 2 & 3, I am seriously looking forward to Quake 4. Also, Battlefield 2 is shaping up to be the blockbuster hit of the summer &, gasp, it does offer some innovation in the way of the commander mode. Let's not forget that not everyone wants to play the same games you want & if you want MMO's or strategy games then the PC is the way to go. Anyways, I had a reaction to your original post and I think now would be a good time to chare it:

PC gaming is going to away like my hemmoroids are.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pr0d1gy

If this is the PC gaming's "innovation" and soon to be mainstream, they can go to hell and i WILL be getting a console [whichever on supports KB+mouse gets my $$$s]

So what is your idea of innovation? Using a dog's tail as a paint brush? Sure it's different but is it what we really want? As someone who missed out on Quake 2 & 3, I am seriously looking forward to Quake 4. Also, Battlefield 2 is shaping up to be the blockbuster hit of the summer &, gasp, it does offer some innovation in the way of the commander mode. Let's not forget that not everyone wants to play the same games you want & if you want MMO's or strategy games then the PC is the way to go. Anyways, I had a reaction to your original post and I think now would be a good time to chare it:

PC gaming is going to away like my hemmoroids are.

Well, i found a cure for mine. :p
[100% cured - no operation] :)

What's YOUR idea of innovation?

The game developers cutting OUT the publisher and giving US the consumer ZERO advantage? Forcing us to BUY a game that THEY control?

They are turning the PC into a console. :p
. . . EXCEPT where it counts. The ability to mod and patch the game . . .

How about RUSHED and sloppy games? - Like Tribes - Vengence that the developers REFUSE to Support. Or Bloodlines - that will never see a second patch. Or KotOR II which took TWO months to patch and is still buggy as hell.
:disgust:

IF that is the way PC gaming is going . . . . i won't support it.

Consoles were here FIRST. i had Pong THEN an Atari 800xl. ;)

i really don't mind playing on a console if they can give me all the advantages without the CRAP . . . and i can even get used to a controller again.
:shocked:
[and sooner-or-later the consoles will offer a KB+mouse if they really want the PC gamer]

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I agree with a lot of points you've made. However, PCs have come a long way where before you had to spend $5000 for a top of the line system, then 2k, and now for $1k you can get a very fast system. I think the cost of PCs will continue to drop. You can now pick up 1 gig of ram for $80 yet 2 years ago it was $200 or more.

I think one of the main problems, and i am going to disagree with you here, is the graphics. You see I think majority of gamers do care for graphics. Why else do we see so many ppl compare if xbox360 or ps3 is more powerful? What do you need all that power if not to make games more pretty? Now sure Doom 3 looks better at 1600x1200 4AA/16AF on a 20inch LCD monitor. But, does it look 5x better (about the difference between a good gaming PC without monitor and an Xbox)? Last time I played it at a friend's house on his 50 inch TV and I can't really tell that I missed the PC version that much. And here lies a problem - Since xbox 1 came out in 2001, a PC gamer probably upgraded 2-3 times (spending $200-300 or more each upgrade on a videocard). If I look at Doom3, Splinter Cell, Need for Speed : Underground for consoles, I cannot really agree that same exact PC games are significantly better. Sure resolution and anti-aliasing is reduced. But with new HDTV era (parents upgrading TVs, home stereo systems) and so on, consoles will start to look even better and sound better.

Another big advantage you mentioned about PCs is online gaming, modding etc. Majority of the world doesnt even have internet access. They have a TV and can afford a console but even if they have internet it is damn expensive. For all eastern european countries, it is cheaper to game on a console. And P2 450 is enough to do any type of office work so they are not in a hurry to upgrade their PCs any time soon. People have to realize that majority of the world is MUCH more price sensitive than in North America. People in India, China, Russia, Malaysia, Pakistan probably find it unjustifiable to buy a PC for gaming for their kids and support that habbit. But a $500 console every 5 years isnt so bad. Of course they probably get pirated $2 software over there but that's another story. But these countries are about half the world's population if not more!!!! That's some serious target market right there.....a big win for consoles.

I love FPS, and RTS games on a PC. But come to think of it, sometimes I think I wouldnt have free time in life with all the gaming I would get from owning all 3 consoles @$500 a piece and renting $5 games for a week at Blockbuster. That's another problem....unless a person is into FPS, or RTS, what is the point of a gaming PC? Sure Massively multiplayer games, here and there other genres. Consoles offer much more variety.

I am not sure what the age of largest group of gamers is, but gaming is all about atmosphere. And PCs cannot easily offer the experience of a 4 way split screen Goldeneye shootout. I am pretty sure a lot of 10-16 year olds come over to each others houses to play videogames. Once 1 kid owns a console, another one wants one so they can share games with one another. It's more complicated with PCs. PCs are more independent and isolated like mature older people who dont crave all that human interaction young kids need -- that is why they have more mature games on them too that do not necessarily push the multiplayer envelope (specifically gaming inside 1 room). Moments like those are priceless and cannot be touched by a PC. And I am afraid, the gaming market has a lot more gamers that care to play together rather than than not, at least when they are young. This hole market segment is uncontested for consoles for this reason in my eyes. I remember I worked for a 30-something year-old guy a couple years ago, and one time we all got together at his house to play tiger woods golf and have some beers. Now would you imagine 4 guys in front of a 17 inch LCD playing a sports game on a PC???

PC gaming should be most innovative to survive. Best sound, best graphics, best games available in key genres like action-adventure, platform, racing games, RPGs and not just FPS and strategy games. Of course to offer all that PCs will be more costly than consoles like now. At least this will guarantee they carve a niche strong enough for a man :)

Diasper

Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Looney
Why upload it? It's a sophomoric essay. You obviously don't understand the industry, or technology. A gaming OS? Why would anybody get a gaming OS, to have their $1000+ computer turned into a console? Why not just get a console? I like the fact that my computer can have an email client in the background, bittorrent running, winamp playing music, two browsers opened side-by-side with a dozen tabs in each one... and if i need to burn something, i can just pop a DVD into the drive and start it without any problems.

Why not turn a console into a computer by adding more feature? Such as ability to multitask, services to help networking and filesharing, ability to find files and documents, add a word processor so i can type up some documents now and then, a browser to go to websites, ability for usb storage... and soon enough, you're going to get a console OS that's as 'bloated' as a PC OS. People always blame the OS, but it's not all the OS fault. Consoles are better optimized, because developers optimize whatever they have to work with... they have no choice, because consoles aren't upgraded... so they learn from their past experiences, and can apply them to future games. A PC developer will use TnL codes that are 5 years old 5 years ago, then find ways to optimize it in the next game... 4 years ago. But then the game after that, most people are using a completely new generation of cards that don't use that technology any longer, so why bother working on the original?

You're like every other knee-jerk reactionaries. You see this as a fight between PC and console... it's not, they're becomign the same thing. There's been talk about convergence for over 10 years, that our TV and computer will merge. THIS will be it... or at least the beginning of it. With HDTVs being so popular now, we can actually sit at our TV and browse the web. If you're watching TV, somebody can IM you on your xbox, and you'll get a notice while watching TV saying somebody has msged you... you'll then take the keyboard from under the coffee table, and type a reply.

Heck, xbox will have voip and even videochat that you can chat with other xboxer. Just sit in your couch infront of the tv, and video chat with other friends who have xbox. If this takes off, the protocol may even be standard... if not, we'll probably see a similar program like Trillian that would allow you to voip/videochat with other consoles/systems on yours.

Not all systems will be 'converged'.. there'll still be standalone TVs, and stand alone PCs... at least for the next 10 years or so (when OLED and 1080p become standard, who will need a PC). And games will still be made for the PC... if it's not, it's because consoles are just like PCs, or PCs are just like consoles. I can see a time in the near future when buying a PC, it will be a very small SFF PC that can be hooked up to a monitor, but also to a TV (maybe the next consoles will be a console that is meant to hook up to a TV, but can probalby be hooked up to a monitor).

Have a text input system, storage, and internet access, and the console can replace the PC for most people. Heck, 5 years ago, most computers didn't even have internet access. How about stuff like word, photoediting software, etc? Who knows, Google will probably create something web-based eventually (and this would probably be the biggest threat to MS ever).

Uploading it? As, other people have said it would make reading it a little easier and more comprehensible. Also, it wouldn't have to compete with X number of new posts in general hardware sending it to page 3 all the time. ;) But then, again I'm not writing this as 'truth' so I want feedback on it, so the forum environment it must be.

About a 'gaming OS' - If you ready it carefully, I was not blaming the OS as the largest area where the PC cannot be as optimised is because games cannot write direct to hardware on PC but must go through DirectX. In relation to that 'tweaking' an OS (as might be a better definition) is a small something that might further help - the basic implementation might be a feature such as logging-on as a gaming user where as few background services and processes (including preventing spyware) are running as possible (only really feasible for single player games) because it can give a small but perhaps significant performance boost to those on older systems especially with more limited RAM. I wasn't talking about a completely sold separately gaming OS. But, at the end of the day a tweaked OS for greater use of gaming is relatively minimal and can't solve anything on its own. I will edit that to make it clearer when I can.

Knee-jerk reactionary - I think my post is a little too long and considered to quite get superficially branded as that. Also, I freely admitted I'm not involved in the industry first-hand nor have had any claims to it - I admit my relative ignorance and am hoping for others to contribute and correct me. I didn't write that post to be 'right' but rather to start something with other people who might know more and would eb able to qualify the ideas I stated.

As, for your lat point, that was something I was considering adding in myself, but given my post was discussing the PC gaming industry I didn't want to diverge to discuss it. Zebo made a comment very good similiar to that recently. Again, I think that's an area consoles have an area to expand into (and will) and because of other possible added benefits like reduced spyware worries it may end up being attractive to many. However, people use PCs for much more than that and need its flexibility so it won't start being threatened by that.

Originally posted by: Howard
"amalgamation"

Ok, you got me :p.
*deletes original post and starts again* ;)

If this is the PC gaming's "innovation" and soon to be mainstream, i WILL be getting a console [whichever on supports KB+mouse gets my $$$s]

Again, an area I perhaps could have been more explicit about. I don't think games are just going to switch over to complete distribution by steam-like technology any time soon. Maybe some indie games companies or bedroom developers might be the first to pioneer that. In the meantine, while developers may use Steam games developers will continue to be sold on shelves for a while yet. Even after games might be stopped selling on shelves (very unlikely unless we can change the conscious awareness of casual gamers), there is always the option of e-tailing which would also be comparatively very efficient at reducing costs. I will qualify that when I can.

However, in a way as games advances and people have to spend X amount on new hardware, eventually there may be some expectation that a majority of those people will have the money/desire to have broadband. Unfortunately, markets are not about individuals but about the majorities, so Steam might be a large part of the future, albeit not absolutely exclusively. Additionally, as I've written later, Steam technology can offer other advantages (outside of possible greater support) such as being able to release expansion packs incredibly cheaply, very quickly.

What's YOUR idea of innovation?

The game developers cutting OUT the publisher and giving US the consumer ZERO advantage? Forcing us to BUY a game that THEY control?

They are turning the PC into a console.
. . . EXCEPT where it counts. The ability to mod and patch the game . . .

How about RUSHED and sloppy games? - Like Tribes - Vengence that the developers REFUSE to Support. Or Bloodlines - that will never see a second patch. Or KotOR II which took TWO months to patch and is still buggy as hell.

IF that is the way PC gaming is going . . . . i won't support it.

Consoles were here FIRST. i had Pong THEN an Atari 800xl.

i really don't mind playing on a console if they can give me all the advantages without the CRAP . . . and i can even get used to a controller again.

That's one of my big grips about PC games - often they are released with serious bugs and somewhat unfinished and then don't even support them. In my mind, the PC gaming industry needs to prevent that unless they want to turn people away from it. Moreover, having an element of high level support would be necesary and nuture a modding community ala Morrowind at its most basic.

As for cutting out the publisher, I don't think that would be possible or desirable yet (given current technology, or possible given technology uptake and limited awareness of consumers). At the end of the day many gaming studios will benefit from the experience, expertise and money that a publisher can provide. In fact it'd be critical for most studios except the most experience and established with their own reputations to uphold and quality control measure (eg Valve and Half Life). All I was saying in my original post is that more direct and profitable means of distribution will help free from the stifling atmosphere of unprofitability - publisher X might say, we'll only support FPS or RTS that do things in these ways as we know that will sell. We need to get away from that.

Another benefit of Direct Distribution I could have mentioned is that it allows expansion packs and other content to be released much more quickly to the player - these allows more revenue for the developer, cheap expansion for the gamer and expansions sooner and more in number. That's a good advantage.

Originally posted by: RussianSensation

Another big advantage you mentioned about PCs is online gaming, modding etc. Majority of the world doesnt even have internet access. They have a TV and can afford a console but even if they have internet it is damn expensive. For all eastern european countries, it is cheaper to game on a console. And P2 450 is enough to do any type of office work so they are not in a hurry to upgrade their PCs any time soon. People have to realize that majority of the world is MUCH more price sensitive than in North America. People in India, China, Russia, Malaysia, Pakistan probably find it unjustifiable to buy a PC for gaming for their kids and support that habbit. But a $500 console every 5 years isnt so bad. Of course they probably get pirated $2 software over there but that's another story. But these countries are about half the world's population if not more!!!! That's some serious target market right there.....a big win for consoles.

I agree that's a problem. Alot of countries don't have the infrastructure to support cheap broadband. Over time, it will become cheaper and hopefully more affordable to a good amount of people. Of course, that will take time. Also, an assumption that might be made is that if people can have the hardware to play these games they may also have broadband. Anyway, things will be continued to be sold for a while on shelves and at the very least e-tailing.

Nevertheless, PC gaming has always been about being a niche - it has never appealed to the widest masses, but a comparatively engaged, moneyed minority