Arsonist burns down 600+ y.o. national landmark in Seoul

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
WTF?

Wiki article on the landmark

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- A 69-year-old who was previously convicted of torching a palace has been arrested in connection with a fire that destroyed Namdaemun, South Korea's oldest wooden structure and a national treasure, authorities said on Tuesday.

Police searched the home of Chae's ex-wife and found a can of paint thinner and a pair of leather gloves they believe were used in the fire, Kim said.

Chae confessed to starting the fire, saying he was upset by a land grievance that led him to start the 2006 fire and by the sentence he was handed in that case, Kim said.

Namdaemun was more than 600 years old and stood at the center of Seoul, having served as a main gate into the capital for centuries. The gate was considered a national symbol to Koreans around the world. E-mail to a friend

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn1
WTF?

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- A 69-year-old who was previously convicted of torching a palace has been arrested in connection with a fire that destroyed Namdaemun, South Korea's oldest wooden structure and a national treasure, authorities said on Tuesday.

Police searched the home of Chae's ex-wife and found a can of paint thinner and a pair of leather gloves they believe were used in the fire, Kim said.

Chae confessed to starting the fire, saying he was upset by a land grievance that led him to start the 2006 fire and by the sentence he was handed in that case, Kim said.

Namdaemun was more than 600 years old and stood at the center of Seoul, having served as a main gate into the capital for centuries. The gate was considered a national symbol to Koreans around the world. E-mail to a friend

Just because he had motive and the police find a pair soiled gloves on his property doesn't mean he's guiltly. I'd like the prosecutor to have him try on the gloves and see if they fit, which I doubt.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
WTF?

Just because he had motive and the police find a pair soiled gloves on his property doesn't mean he's guiltly. I'd like the prosecutor to have him try on the gloves and see if they fit, which I doubt.

He has a previous history of arson as well

larciel

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
I wonder what'd happen if a man, who was pissed off by recent recession, goes to NY and blows up the Statue of Liberty. That is what that man basically did.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
I took a few photos of that when I was in Seoul in November last year :shocked:

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Thats terrible for the people of Seoul, heres hoping they rebuild it....but it's never going to be like the original again.

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by: larciel
Originally posted by: beat mania
Why wasn't it fenced off in the first place?

they opened it for people to see it upclose

Well they would've considered it possible to lose it in a fire then. If not arson, then by accident, such as a cigarette.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
man I was there not too long ago too. ah well, that royally sucks. my dad was pretty pissed off at this news as well

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
That guy deliberately destroyed a piece of history and a national treasure. It's a shame they probably won't execute him for doing it.

ISAslot

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2001
I wonder why they didn't put a sprinkler system in it. Perhaps the rebuilt one will have one.

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
WTF?

WTF?

Just because he had motive and said he did it doesn't mean he's guilty. I'd like the prosecutor to have him take a lie detector test to see if he's telling the truth, which I doubt.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
It is a very public place. Not too far from the busiest train station in Korea. I was surprised that there was no security around it at the time.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Kadarin
That guy deliberately destroyed a piece of history and a national treasure. It's a shame they probably won't execute him for doing it.

That is a shame