ARRRGGGHHH! Weird problem with WinXP and XP2100+...

Paunchy

Sep 19, 2001
I've run into this problem twice in the past few weeks, and again this afternoon. For some reason, WindowsXP randomly decides that my XP2100+ CPU is running only at 864-867 Mhz as opposed to the 1.7Ghz it should be running at. There's a HUGE slowdown in all system functions when this happens. Now the chip is set to run at 133Mhz frequency and 13X multiplier in the BIOS, but the System Properties in WindowsXP identifies it as an AMD Athlon XP2100+ CPU running at 864Mhz.

Has anyone ever seen or had a problem similar to this? Aside from this, there are no other errors/problems with the computer. It gave me this problem when I first installed the CPU, and then it magically fixed itself. Then it happened once more, and then again today, each time at a random interval. Any ideas or suggestions?

System Specs:
Soyo Dragon KT400 Ultra
AMD Athlon XP2100+
Samsung 512 MB DDR PC2700 RAM
Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4200
WindowsXP w/ all hotfixes except SP1

Thanks in advance...

--Paunchy

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Looks like it slows down a bit. I'm sure it isn't OS-related. WinXP definately wouldn't throttle down the CPU.

Paunchy

Sep 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Booster
Looks like it slows down a bit. I'm sure it isn't OS-related. WinXP definately wouldn't throttle down the CPU.

Well.. I don't know. I'm at a COMPLETE loss. WCPUID reports the CPU running at 133 Mhz clock and 13X multipler (1728.99Mhz), but WindowsXP reports the CPU at 864Mhz and everything is slooooow as hell.

What's going on here??????? :( :( :(

--Paunchy

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Paunchy
Originally posted by: Booster

Well.. I don't know. I'm at a COMPLETE loss. WCPUID reports the CPU running at 133 Mhz clock and 13X multipler (1728.99Mhz), but WindowsXP reports the CPU at 864Mhz and everything is slooooow as hell.

What's going on here??????? :( :( :(

--Paunchy

If WinXP reports it's frequency is lower, than it's true. WinXP displays the exact (to 1MHz) frequency straight from the BIOS.