ARRGH! Why can't my family stop putting the butter in the fridge!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Digobick

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
Repost!
LOL, I knew that thread was archived somewhere. Leave it to you, Ornery.

Sadly I'm in that thread; I was posting as Rubadud back in those days. Can't believe it's been almost five years though. Back then a thread with 400 replies seemed rediculous. Ahh, the memories.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Digobick
Originally posted by: Ornery
Repost!
LOL, I knew that thread was archived somewhere. Leave it to you, Ornery.

Sadly I'm in that thread; I was posting as Rubadud back in those days. Can't believe it's been almost five years though. Back then a thread with 400 replies seemed rediculous. Ahh, the memories.

we have one with 7 thousand something now. Geez.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
I really hate to be nit picky (not really!)

I see people talking about 2 entirely different products in this thread with no differention (sp!) There is the dairy product called butter, then there is the non dairy product officially called Margrine, though many, from habit call it butter.

My gut feeling is that Butter may be better refrigerated, though it is not clear that even that is ture.

Magarine on the other hand need not be. I remember having to refridgerate margarine in the summer 'cus it got to hot and liquified if we left it in the cupboard.

The fact is if you are actively consuming these products they should be able to be left out as a cube of "butter" may not last that long. Then again if you are going through cubes of butter that fast you may want to reconsider your eating habits.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
serious, it belongs in the fridge, nobody i've ever heard of leaves it out all the time, if we're having dinner, we'll get it out and put it on the table 20 minutes early

bo0

Dec 3, 2003
Originally posted by: busmaster11
Originally posted by: Evadman
Butter is suposed to be left out on the counter so it is soft and spreadable! Hard butter sucks.

Here's a hint - where does it sit at your grocer's?

ding! ding!. Now tell him what he's won
:)

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: eakers
we leave ours on the counter. in 22 years it has never made me sick or gone rancid.

edit: we store most of our butter in the fridge and leave a bit out so it is soft enough to spread.

we do the exact same thing and it works fine. Never been sick or seen it go "rancid" or "bad".

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MustISO
Two words, Shed's Spread.

indeed

if im using real butter i have learned to take it out ahead of time, but i dont just leave it out all the time