Arresting Barr

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Congress needs to act for the health of the Constitution. They cannot allow the presidency to run out of control.

Barr, Menuchen, need subpoenas to force the law, and be arrested if they choose to disregard the law of the land.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
If the Dems aren't going to use every tool in their toolbox to hammer Trump and his criminal enterprise until the public can no longer ignore the fact that the GOP are illegally running cover for criminals then we are already lost. Time to pull the plug.
And do what? Just give up?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
And do what? Just give up?
Yes. 100% GOP policy until the idea of implementing any conservative policy is repugnant to every human on the planet. Bye bye Medicare, Medicaid, SS, welfare, immigration, all regulations. Pollution, monopolies to the point that we have to pay for drinkable water, and we have to evolve better stronger lungs to even breathe anymore. Then when people are crying for liberals to save them we can tell them to fuck off and die.

Reactions: zinfamous
Feb 4, 2009
As I stated earlier, I really thing we will see the Sargent at Arms sent out in the near future the current dude looks the part and is from a Republican Controlled Congress.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_at_Arms_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

LdCgfBj.jpg

Interesting tid bit of knowledge, part of his job is to quiet the house if it gets too rowdy and the speaker orders it. He’ll shake his mace at the offending parties to quiet them.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This guy is quite the practitioner of the legal rope-a-dope. I half expected him to challenge one of his questioners on the definition of "is".

He must drive his wife nuts.

"What would you like for dinner?"

"Well, as it's only 11 AM, I'm trying to grapple with the word "dinner". Also, I might "like" dinner, but then again I may thoroughly dislike it, depending on what's being served.

You cannot simply ask "did Trump suggest this" or "did Trump" order this. Everything he said is considered to be simply "thinking out loud" or "talking with his mouth" - until someone acts on those words, and Trump decides to own the outcome.

This is what I call the "Trump Uncertainty Principle". No particle of an idea can be disentangled from Trump's quantum bullshit universe until he perturbs it by the act of seeking credit for it.

I hope every future interrogator will consider these quantum bullshit mechanics when formulating their questioning strategy. Kamala Harris at least tried

Barr is doing Trump's work, doing the white mans work, doing the Lord's work. Trump's supporters know that, even if the rest of us don't.

Initially, Trump did what most incoming presidents do, inheriting some staff and hiring the rest from among his immediate political circles, not really knowing whether or not they would work out for him. That changed!. Trump is an authoritarian. Trump insists on loyalty over ethics, loyalty over the law, over everything. Initially, I suppose that those who agreed to work for Trump did so with the assumption that there would be disagreements but that they could influence him and shape him: Kelly, Mattis, McMaster, Tillerson, Sessions, Priebus, Cohn, and others. But people now know who Trump is. It's understood that if you agree to work for Trump, you work for Trump, not the American people.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Congress needs to act for the health of the Constitution. They cannot allow the presidency to run out of control.

Barr, Menuchen, need subpoenas to force the law, and be arrested if they choose to disregard the law of the land.

Would a contempt of congress charge be a ticket directly to jail?. At this point I just don't know - Or at least not right away. It would immediately be litigated in court, which would probably take us past the end of Trump's first term. For all practical purposes, until further notice, the attorney general and the justice department is a legal arm of the Republican party.

And.... a tip o' the hat to Barr for doing so much to (apparently) advance the novel argument that Trump is absolved of any potential Obstruction charges because he was upset. I can certainly get behind that. "Yes officer, sure I shot that guy on the freeway, but I was upset because he cut me off. Am I free to go?"

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Would a contempt of congress charge be a ticket directly to jail?. At this point I just don't know - Or at least not right away. It would immediately be litigated in court, which would probably take us past the end of Trump's first term. For all practical purposes, until further notice, the attorney general and the justice department is a legal arm of the Republican party.

And.... a tip o' the hat to Barr for doing so much to (apparently) advance the novel argument that Trump is absolved of any potential Obstruction charges because he was upset. I can certainly get behind that. "Yes officer, sure I shot that guy on the freeway, but I was upset because he cut me off. Am I free to go?"

My understanding is that the Congress is able to hold someone in custody for as long as that congress is in session in order to enforce a subpoena. They need to send the Sergeant at Arms down to his office and get him.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Failure by officials of the Executive to comply with congressional subpoenas is nothing new, but I believe an actual arrest would be highly unusual. Has Barr actually been subpoenaed yet? That said, I'm for it. Why not force this particular aspect of Separation of Powers before a high court? It'll be a hell of a show.

Feb 4, 2009
Failure by officials of the Executive to comply with congressional subpoenas is nothing new, but I believe an actual arrest would be highly unusual. Has Barr actually been subpoenaed yet? That said, I'm for it. Why not force this particular aspect of Separation of Powers before a high court? It'll be a hell of a show.
To my understanding he has not for today but he’s missed two regarding Mueller report

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Guess it's time to see if your dems actually have balls. This fucking clown should be arrested yesterday.

Reactions: sandorski

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Congress can arrest as surely as law enforcement can arrest and judges cite contempt. As long as it's done by the book I see no grounds for judicial review and i have doubts about the SCOTUS hearing a complaint at all.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
To my understanding he has not for today but he’s missed two regarding Mueller report

Maybe Mueller needs to come out with another open memo to Barr which reads in full. "No you feckless lackey, I wasn't talking about the media I was talking about you. I clearly stated that it was you who misrepresented my report!"

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The "Witch Hunt" continues even after Barr proclaims that Trump is the innocent victim of an attempted coup and *heh* Lindsey says “So, no collusion, no coordination, no conspiracy,” and the terminal closer "I'm not going to do any more. Enough already. It's over." It's too bad that he proclaimed that edict in a fit of frustrated anger rather than having a victorious smile on his face. It would have sent a better image to their base. It is what it is.

I can see where the Repubs on the hill are on unfamiliar ground being on the defensive yet what's so hilarious about their interminable predicament is that when they shifted gears and went into attack mode, they immediately went after Hillary (again) instead of "the deep state conspiracy against Trump" they've been relying on as of late. I guess that just didn't fire up their base enough because it seems that was too complicated for their base to comprehend and rally against.

They needed and effigy to burn and a rallying call of "Locke her up!!!" rather than a concept that takes a couple of seconds to comprehend and cannot be so easily turned into a comic picture book to throw on the pyre.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The "Witch Hunt" continues even after Barr proclaims that Trump is the innocent victim of an attempted coup and *heh* Lindsey says “So, no collusion, no coordination, no conspiracy,” and the terminal closer "I'm not going to do any more. Enough already. It's over." It's too bad that he proclaimed that edict in a fit of frustrated anger rather than having a victorious smile on his face. It would have sent a better image to their base. It is what it is.

I can see where the Repubs on the hill are on unfamiliar ground being on the defensive yet what's so hilarious about their interminable predicament is that when they shifted gears and went into attack mode, they immediately went after Hillary (again) instead of "the deep state conspiracy against Trump" they've been relying on as of late. I guess that just didn't fire up their base enough because it seems that was too complicated for their base to comprehend and rally against.

They needed and effigy to burn and a rallying call of "Locke her up!!!" rather than a concept that takes a couple of seconds to comprehend and cannot be so easily turned into a comic picture book to throw on the pyre.

Barr refused to show up today, because those weaselly DEMOCRATS didn't want him to! ;colbert;

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Graham is just playing to what his constituents want. Apparently, when he was sort of acting sane and said some bad things about Trump, his ratings in his state were heading to the toilet. Now that's he grown some big fat lips to wrap around Trumps dick, his ratings and chances for re-election have sky rocketed. So fucking sad.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
https://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich-arrest-william-barr-attorney-general-supboena-congress-1408786

I don't know that the House will, but it's good to see that people who understand the law and Constitutional rights of Congress are speaking up to point them out.

Edit- Since people complain about others getting off topic with TDS and the like, please restrict comments to this specific subject to make those types happy.

I'm wondering what's taking them so damn long.. Lock them all up. Donny will get a clue when Ivanka is sleeping on a concrete cot.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Barr refused to show up today, because those weaselly DEMOCRATS didn't want him to! ;colbert;

Trumpian logic that replaced Rovian logic. In other words, a severe dumbing down of the GOP's efforts to get their iron clad fists around the emotional triggers of their base and rapid fire those triggers as fast as they can pull it.

Along comes Trump and he gets right down there into the deepest depths of those hate and fear triggers, selected auto fire and haven't let go of it yet. Ssssmok'in!

That's allowed Trump and his loyalist scumbag tools in Congress the ability to say anything, do anything and have it gobbled up by their followers without question. Their base has been primed and locked into drone mode, exactly where Trump and the GOP leadership wants them.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Wow, I just heard Barr is refusing to head to the House tomorrow. The AG didn’t like the questions today in the Senate and something about Lawyers being present in the House.

Send out the summons then send out the Sargent at Arms

The Dems are trying to turn a hearing into a William Barr investigation. Seems like they are trying to start some backdoor impeachment proceedings by having attorneys ask questions for House Judiciary Committee members. Are the Dems too stupid to ask their own questions so they have to use their attorneys to do the questioning? I guess they are mad because Barr won't break the law and provide an unredacted copy of Mueller's report.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Dems are trying to turn a hearing into a William Barr investigation. Seems like they are trying to start some backdoor impeachment proceedings by having attorneys ask questions for House Judiciary Committee members. Are the Dems too stupid to ask their own questions so they have to use their attorneys to do the questioning? I guess they are mad because Barr won't break the law and provide an unredacted copy of Mueller's report.

Has Barr violated the Law?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

He can answer a subpoena and if he declines a lawful order then haul his ass in. As far as "too dumb" they demonstrated a better ability to question than the Republicans who couldn't deal with substance.

Barr is an attorney and will lie but be careful to provide a way out for himself. A snake is best managed by others of his kind. Harris wiped the floor with him and facing his peers terrifies him as well it should.

Impeachment won't work but his ass can be thrown in the pokey for 12 months according to the powers of Congress. I don't know if they will the Administration has been breaking and defying laws for too long and now they want to deny the Constitutional division of powers as well. Only the traitorous could support that.

Feb 4, 2009

What law prevents the release to Congress when it’s asked for?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Guess those Republicans were to stupid to ask their own questions in the Kavanaugh hearing too...right?