Arpaio: PI hired to investigate judge's wife

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This is one of those threads that really shows just how delusional some posters are. It's like a PSA on cognitive dissonance for the forum! And thanks for quoting zaap guys, I wouldn't have seen his breathtaking commitment to ignorance otherwise.

I think it's cute there's room in rudeguy's bubble for two. Awwwwww...

------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Assholio realizes he fuct up.

"I have a deep respect for the courts," he said on the stand Thursday. "It really hurts me … after 55 years to be in this position. I want to apologize to the judge. I should have known more about these court orders that slipped through the cracks."

Pompous racist dumbfuck just ran up $64 million in legal costs for the government because he just can't be bothered to follow the law or suppress his inner good 'ol boy. *applause* Arizona shines again, they must be so proud.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/immigration/la-na-arpaio-contempt-hearing-20150425-story.html

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Always nice to see a poorly informed Zaap rage flameout.

The irony of him trying to call other people stupid and misinformed is pretty great too.

What I find quite humorous, if not depressing, are the mental gymnastics that are performed trying to deny the Republican party absorbed the Southern tier of states into their voting base and somehow left the South's racist attitudes behind. Like the Republicans somehow forced a change in the South's culture and politics......which certainly hasn't happened. If anything, the Republican party has been changed into what the old Democratic party was before the Repubs. took over the South as the dominant voting party.

Sad, really.

As Johnson said about losing the South with the introduction of the Civil Rights act, "I know the risks are great and we might lose the South, but those sorts of states may be lost anyway."

So far, he was correct......partially. I don't think Johnson knew how much the Republicans would come to depend upon the South for a major part of its support. Guess when you dance with the devil, some of it rubs off. In the Republicans' case, the attitudes in the South did more than just rub off on them....they swallowed without a thought.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What I find quite humorous, if not depressing, are the mental gymnastics that are performed trying to deny the Republican party absorbed the Southern tier of states into their voting base and somehow left the South's racist attitudes behind. Like the Republicans somehow forced a change in the South's culture and politics......which certainly hasn't happened. If anything, the Republican party has been changed into what the old Democratic party was before the Repubs. took over the South as the dominant voting party.

Sad, really.

As Johnson said about losing the South with the introduction of the Civil Rights act, "I know the risks are great and we might lose the South, but those sorts of states may be lost anyway."

So far, he was correct......partially. I don't think Johnson knew how much the Republicans would come to depend upon the South for a major part of its support. Guess when you dance with the devil, some of it rubs off. In the Republicans' case, the attitudes in the South did more than just rub off on them....they swallowed without a thought.

When looking at that circumstance from a historical perspective, one could say that it looks like history is repeating itself in that a new civil war is brewing almost along the same geographical lines as our previous one, albeit one that isn't as medievally bloody and violent.

I find it amazing how our nation can turn on itself with such passion yet unite as one with an even greater passion when an external existential threat presents itself.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
When looking at that circumstance from a historical perspective, one could say that it looks like history is repeating itself in that a new civil war is brewing almost along the same geographical lines as our previous one, albeit one that isn't as medievally bloody and violent.

I find it amazing how our nation can turn on itself with such passion yet unite as one with an even greater passion when an external existential threat presents itself.
There's a great documentary you might be interested in, called The Power of Nightmares by Adam Curtis. You can probably find it on youtube as a whole or in 2-3 broken up pieces, if not as a torrent.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh really?

1976.gif

Did they now?

So Republicans "moving in hard" is defined by Democrats running southern candidates in order to win national elections with the south.

Republicans kicking your asses in multiple national landslides running California candidates is somehow racist, Dems blatantly courting the south with southern governors and fucking PEDIGREE offspring of the worse segragationists = not moving in hard, just you know, being liberals.

You (like most ignorant Demcorats that don't actually know shit about the party) are a fucking moron.

On the flip side you idiot, to suggest the south is the same south it was in the 50's is just plain stupid. And yet you do it all the time....

.. EXCEPT when you ignore 1976 and the 1990's and 2000 running southern governors and segregationist offspring in the top slot, while pointing fingers (blazingly stupidly) at Republicans.

Moron.

Holy shit you are dumber than toast.

Coming from where I come from--NC--all you have to understand is that the then-leaders of the Southern repub caucus--Strom "let's lynch some black people" Thurmond and Jesse "the only pigs I like are white!" Helms, having abandoned the Democrats, for the "Dixiecrats," to then lead the takeover of the republican party with all of their buddies. If you knew them, and you knew their platforms and their buddies, then you know your version of history is grossly misinformed.

I don't know if you grew up in and lived in LA all your life, but what you assume about the actual South in this country could not be further from the truth.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Particularly when the external threat is a propaganda construct rather than a real threat.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
For most of a century the south was Democrat because they couldn't imagine voting for anyone from the party of Lincoln. They were Democrats, but they were conservative Democrats. The civil rights movement of the 60's, and particularly the actions of Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, forced these conservative Democrats to rethink there allegiance to the Democratic party and in short order began the switch from blue to red. In just a few years, beginning with the actions by Kennedy, the south, which had been very highly Democratic, became mostly Republican.

The Republican party saw an opportunity to gain power and said the things that the southern conservatives wanted to hear. The RNC took advantage of the unhappiness that southern conservatives felt about losing the right to deny blacks access to universities and openly fought policies to do away with Jim Crow.

Since then the repubs have relied upon a southern strategy to largely own the south allowing them to focus the majority of the campaign activities on the swing states.

Brian

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
For most of a century the south was Democrat because they couldn't imagine voting for anyone from the party of Lincoln. They were Democrats, but they were conservative Democrats. The civil rights movement of the 60's, and particularly the actions of Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, forced these conservative Democrats to rethink there allegiance to the Democratic party and in short order began the switch from blue to red. In just a few years, beginning with the actions by Kennedy, the south, which had been very highly Democratic, became mostly Republican.

The Republican party saw an opportunity to gain power and said the things that the southern conservatives wanted to hear. The RNC took advantage of the unhappiness that southern conservatives felt about losing the right to deny blacks access to universities and openly fought policies to do away with Jim Crow.

Since then the repubs have relied upon a southern strategy to largely own the south allowing them to focus the majority of the campaign activities on the swing states.

Brian

See...this is an informed, well thought out, mature response. I really appreciate that. Its a nice change.

Of course you are completely wrong, but it was nice :p

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
See...this is an informed, well thought out, mature response. I really appreciate that. Its a nice change.

You should try emulating that. Maybe like being smarter by not clinging to arguments that make you look like an indoctrinated zealot burying your head in the sand.

lol, I guess when you have no credibility to begin with maintaining this devotion to ignorant revisionism isn't really an issue. At least you seem to be comfortable with proving others correct. Zaap's frothy rage isn't your style, which is good, it's just too bad thinking isn't either.

Colin Powell once said "Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position goes, your ego goes with it." Do yourself a favor and contemplate that.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
There's a great documentary you might be interested in, called The Power of Nightmares by Adam Curtis. You can probably find it on youtube as a whole or in 2-3 broken up pieces, if not as a torrent.

Excellent referral.:thumbsup:

Particularly when the external threat is a propaganda construct rather than a real threat.

I read you loud and clear on that. But if history is any indication, our nation is so gullible and forgetful enough that it will happen again and again given the fact that there are those who will always profit quite nicely from propagating the fear and the hate that they foment in order to launch our nation into more for-profit wars. As is the norm, they're just manipulating things and posturing themselves in the background while waiting impatiently for the next opportunity to occur again.

edit- I forget where I read it, but I recall how a perfect storm to war got created whereby after many years of positioning themselves and taking advantage of opportunites, a cabal of neocons finally got ahold of our government and took us to wars that we're still feeling the effects from.

Last edited:

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Were you homeschooled or something? I can't think of how someone could get that dumb.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

seriously, rudeguy: explain why this is wrong, and provide your sources and your history.

or:

1. Admit you truly are as uneducated as you appear
2. Admit that you are just trolling.

You are basically saying: "History as it happened and has been well documented, and can be easily verified, is plain wrong." That takes a very special kind of willful stupidity to accept.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Holy shit you are dumber than toast.

Coming from where I come from--NC--all you have to understand is that the then-leaders of the Southern repub caucus--Strom "let's lynch some black people" Thurmond and Jesse "the only pigs I like are white!" Helms, having abandoned the Democrats, for the "Dixiecrats," to then lead the takeover of the republican party with all of their buddies. If you knew them, and you knew their platforms and their buddies, then you know your version of history is grossly misinformed.

I don't know if you grew up in and lived in LA all your life, but what you assume about the actual South in this country could not be further from the truth.
Notice how none of you dimwits can refute a single thing I've actually said because you're bone stupid.

Your entire argument is one big "Nuh Uh!!" and then right back to your stupidity.

So was Jimmy Carter a Republican? Did you look at the election map, dimwit? If winning the south =racist then how do dumbshits like you explain Carter/Clinton/Gore/Edwards? You're too stupid to even realize that the Democrats have been courting the south for years, all during time you claim it was all Republican.

You're also too dumb to know most Dixiecrats remained Democrats. So if the Dixiecrats define the party that they stayed with as racist.. why do you float a pass to the Democrats while trying to tar and feather the Reps with the legacy of a few Democrat turncoats. We all know why. Because you're dumber than a box of rocks and you have your head so far up the ass of the Democrat party you can't see how stupid your excuses for the Democrats are for all the shit you're swimming in.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
What I find quite humorous, if not depressing, are the mental gymnastics that are performed trying to deny the Republican party absorbed the Southern tier of states into their voting base and somehow left the South's racist attitudes behind.
More blather.

So Carter won in 1976 because of Democrats appealing to racists. Thats the Democrst base, right? Clinton and Gore were the Dems appealing to racists also.

Or wait... let me guess. You have an excuse for the Democrat southern strategies.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I agree with you zaap. Democrats also court the south for votes.

Holy shit! Some intellectual honesty! A refreshing change around here.

Now that that blatant obviousness has been admitted... is the reason racism?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Here is an explanation of the shift....

In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to a Republican Party strategy in the late 20th century of gaining political support for presidential candidates in the Southern United States by appealing to regional racial tensions and history of segregation.[1][2][page needed]

The Democratic Party in the South defended slavery before the American Civil War. After regaining power in state governments in the 1870s, Democrats imposed white supremacy. At the end of the century, southern states passed new constitutions and laws making voter registration and voting more difficult, resulting in disenfranchising most blacks and many poor whites. The South became a one-party region, maintaining political exclusion of minorities well into the 1960s. The Solid South and its political power in Congress was achieved at the expense of African Americans. In the years after World War II, African Americans pressed for civil rights. White Southern Democrats gradually stopped supporting the national party following its adoption of the civil rights plank of the Democratic campaign in 1948 (against which the Dixiecrats formed), support for the African-American Civil Rights Movement, passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965, and push for desegregation.

In the late 1960s, a period of social turmoil, Republican Presidential candidates Senator Barry Goldwater[3][4] and Richard Nixon worked to attract southern white conservative voters to their candidacies and the Republican Party.[5] Barry Goldwater won the five formerly Confederate states of the Deep South (Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina[6][7]) in the 1964 presidential election, but he otherwise won only in his home state of Arizona. In the 1968 presidential campaign, Nixon won Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee, all former Confederate states, contributing to the electoral realignment of white voters in some Southern states to the Republican Party. After federal civil rights legislation was gained with the support of the Democratic Party, including the Voting Rights Act of 1965, more than 90 percent of black voters registered with the Democratic Party. The VRA provided tools to end their decades-long disenfranchisement by southern states. Hundreds of cases have been litigated to change election systems, such as at-large voting, that have prevented even significant minorities from electing candidates of their choice for city and county positions.

As the twentieth century came to a close, most white voters in the South had shifted to the Republican Party. It began to try to appeal again to black voters and rebuild the political relationship that had lasted through the 1920s, though with little success.[5] In 2005, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People NAACP, a national civil rights organization, for exploiting racial polarization to win elections and ignoring the black vote.[8][9]

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
From that quote:

"In 2005, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People NAACP, a national civil rights organization, for exploiting racial polarization to win elections and ignoring the black vote.[8][9]"

...well that clearly didn't happen. I mean that would just be yet another indicator that certain posters really are that stupid or completely dishonest. Perhaps a combination of the two. Good thing we got 4 pages or so behind us to help rule that out.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Notice how none of you dimwits can refute a single thing I've actually said because you're bone stupid.

Your entire argument is one big "Nuh Uh!!" and then right back to your stupidity.

So was Jimmy Carter a Republican? Did you look at the election map, dimwit? If winning the south =racist then how do dumbshits like you explain Carter/Clinton/Gore/Edwards? You're too stupid to even realize that the Democrats have been courting the south for years, all during time you claim it was all Republican.

You're also too dumb to know most Dixiecrats remained Democrats. So if the Dixiecrats define the party that they stayed with as racist.. why do you float a pass to the Democrats while trying to tar and feather the Reps with the legacy of a few Democrat turncoats. We all know why. Because you're dumber than a box of rocks and you have your head so far up the ass of the Democrat party you can't see how stupid your excuses for the Democrats are for all the shit you're swimming in.

In 1972, Nixon was the first Repub to take the south in many, many moons. Jimmy Carter was the last Dem presidential candidate to carry the south in what was a transitional period. Reagan & GHWB took it all 3 times. Clinton got a piece of it but never won it. By the time 2000 rolled around, Al gore couldn't win his home state. Kerry couldn't win a single southern state but Obama peeled off a few.

Very much the same thing has happened wrt state govt, as well.

Mere fact. Deal with it.