Army Virtue-Tweet Backfires: 1000s Expose "Heartbreaking" Horrors Of War

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You seem like a very bitter and jaded individual with your own made up version of what people with a strong sense of nationalism or religion actually stand for. I find your post particularly ironic because my experience has been the exact opposite of yours. I've talked with close friends and relatives who served in the military and have a great love for their nation which motivates them to sacrifice for the benefit of others. They endured some really crappy environments, daily deprivation, and some hellish fighting because they believed in defending the rights of their fellow countrymen. I am always humbled at the stories I hear from my WWII vet grandfather and my Vietnam vet father. The stuff they went through, the sacrifices they made, are truly heroic in my eyes. Have we gotten into some wars and places we shouldn't have as a nation? Absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that there are a LOT of self-sacrificing members of the military out there.

As for the religious, again I find my experience to be the polar opposite of yours. I grew up agnostic and became religious later in life. I have found so many more opportunities to serve and sacrifice for my fellow man due to my religious beliefs than I ever did when I was agnostic. We are taught continually how important sacrifice and loving and serving your neighbor is. We have organized opportunities all the time to help at homeless shelters, assisted living centers, community clean-ups, Eagle Scout projects, caring for the poor and elderly, and actively working at being better human beings. I'm not saying that non-religious folks aren't charitable or loving to their neighbors, I see plenty of examples of that too. But my own experience is that those opportunities to sacrifice have come far more frequently after I became religious than before and I imagine I'm not alone in that experience.

Are there some really crappy religious people out there? Well of course, they're human too. But maybe it's time to look for the good people do around you rather then making acerbic comments about those you don't understand.

Nothing you wrote here contradicts what I said.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
These stories are horrifying

War is the worst hell and should be used as a last resort.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I still think the military is a suitable place for people if it fits their personality. You can learn a lot, travel a lot, learn discipline and lead others. I did not know that things like rape and drugs etc. were so pervasive these days. I would never have even thought about anything remotely like that due to the fear or punishment and humiliation when I was in.

I don't like it one bit that we are entrenched in these unwinnable wars overseas. In my lifetime it was viewed that the first gulf war was justified, heck I even volunteered although they didn't take me. The second gulf war, no way. I've been cursed because I tell people that volunteered for that that no way in hell would I go over for that mess.

My older brother was in Viet-fucking-Nam. Like many, he doesn't say much about it, but I don't think he saw much if any any combat, he was just a combat engineer. He does take offense when people these days say "thanks for your service!" because he wants to say "I was fucking drafted you moron, who would volunteer for that?!".