Army Question: How hard is it to get into army OCS?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
This whole becoming a DOD contracter thing looks like it isn't going to work out...so I am thinking about joining the Army. I have a my bachelors degrees, just got my masters, and 3 years as a police officer and am looking to serve my country in a different way.

How hard is it for someone who has been out of college a few years and working to get into Army OCS? What is the process like?

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Easy..
as long as you have a degree..
Probably the best way is to join the reserve or the guard and go to OCS on weekends..

If you join the army, it's harder.. Very strict basic training..

You have to be in very good shape..

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Papagayo
Easy..
as long as you have a degree..
Probably the best way is to join the reserve or the guard and go to OCS on weekends..

If you join the army, it's harder.. Very strict basic training..

You have to be in very good shape..

Was thinking about going active actually.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
For the AF, minimum is 3.0GPA. Was told by recruiter that the minimum is closer to 3.5.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
I was in the ARMY for 3 years (1990-1992) and National Guard for 6 years (1993-1999).. They were always looking for people to join OCS..

My opinion.... Join the Guard and do the OCS on weekends. When you finish with the school, join the Army. (this voids the Guard contract and you get into the army as an Officer)
Talk to the recruiter..

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: dquan97
For the AF, minimum is 3.0GPA. Was told by recruiter that the minimum is closer to 3.5.

Hmm...I spent of lot of college napping/partying/otherwise occupied and my undegrad GPA was a bit below 3.0. (Yes I know it sucks). My masters was better at a 3.0...but definately not steller academically. I have 3 years of excellent work experience though, and I can get references from a lot of former bosses including several higher ranking military officers who I worked for.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Originally posted by: dquan97

Hmm...I spent of lot of college napping/partying/otherwise occupied and my undegrad GPA was a bit below 3.0. (Yes I know it sucks). My masters was better at a 3.0...but definately not steller academically. I have 3 years of excellent work experience though, and I can get references from a lot of former bosses including several higher ranking military officers who I worked for.

I spent a whole month filling out the application, going to the interview, doing the physical. Prior to that, I gave the recruiter my college transcripts (2.7GPA), when he didn't say anything about minimum GPA requirements. Talk about a disappointment when he wouldn't return my phone calls all of a sudden.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I've been there, so I'll relate my experience in OCS. Getting in wasn't that hard, it's staying in and graduating that is hard. The washout rate is over 50%. My class started with something like 135 and we actually graduated about 60 to 65.

In the Army (I've had this discussion on this board before) you have to enlist, go to Basic and AIT, then when you get to your unit you can apply for, and go to OCS.

If you want more information, PM me. I went to Army OCS in 1988.

My advice is to not listen to anyone else unless they've been there and done it. The last time this topic came up, it turned into a flame war, but it turned out that I was right all along. The other branches don't require that you enlist first, apparently in the Navy and Air Force, you can go directly into OCS, but not in the Army.

When I became a unit commander in 1995, I sent several young men off to OCS. Some made it, some didn't. It's all in your mindset. It is demanding physically, but all the endurance and strength in the world won't get you through OCS. You have to be mentally prepared to go the distance.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: jemcam
I've been there, so I'll relate my experience in OCS. Getting in wasn't that hard, it's staying in and graduating that is hard. The washout rate is over 50%. My class started with something like 135 and we actually graduated about 60 to 65.

In the Army (I've had this discussion on this board before) you have to enlist, go to Basic and AIT, then when you get to your unit you can apply for, and go to OCS.

My advice is to not listen to anyone else unless they've been there and done it. The last time this topic came up, it turned into a flame war, but it turned out that I was right all along. The other branches don't require that you enlist first, apparently in the Navy and Air Force, you can go directly into OCS, but not in the Army.

When I became a unit commander in 1995, I sent several young men off to OCS. Some made it, some didn't. It's all in your mindset. It is demanding physically, but all the endurance and strength in the world won't get you through OCS. You have to be mentally prepared to go the distance.

Yeah, I am considering the Army, the Marines, and even the Coast Guard. I am not all that fond of the idea of enlisting even if the contract guarantees me OCS, just don't really trust the system not to screw me over.

The only thing comparable (even remotely to OCS) I have been through was the police academy, and my probation period, and I really didn't think it was all that hard.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

Yeah, I am considering the Army, the Marines, and even the Coast Guard. I am not all that fond of the idea of enlisting even if the contract guarantees me OCS, just don't really trust the system not to screw me over.

The only thing comparable (even remotely to OCS) I have been through was the police academy, and my probation period, and I really didn't think it was all that hard.

In the Army, you won't be able to get a contract that guarantees you OCS. It's up to you. Even West Point Graduates have a contract. If they fail their Officer Basic Course, they have to revert back to enlisted to fulfill their obligation for free college. I went to Officer Basic Course with a bunch of West Pointers, and they were absolutely freaking out about failing FAOBC. None did fail, but once they passed that course, they were pretty much home free.

By the way, Officer Basic Course is the final phase of OCS. That is where you go off to be branch qualified in the field you are going to be in. Mine was Field Artillery, you could go Infantry, Aviation, Military Police, Admin, Air Defense, etc., etc. You have to complete your Officer Basic Course within one year of graduating OCS. It lasts anywhere from 2 months to over a year, depending on your branch, mine was six months at wonderful Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

In the Army, you won't be able to get a contract that guarantees you OCS. It's up to you. Even West Point Graduates have a contract. If they fail their Officer Basic Course, they have to revert back to enlisted to fulfill their obligation for free college. I went to Officer Basic Course with a bunch of West Pointers, and they were absolutely freaking out about failing FAOBC. None did fail, but once they passed that course, they were pretty much home free.

By the way, Officer Basic Course is the final phase of OCS. That is where you go off to be branch qualified in the field you are going to be in. Mine was Field Artillery, you could go Infantry, Aviation, Military Police, Admin, Air Defense, etc., etc. You have to complete your Officer Basic Course within one year of graduating OCS. It lasts anywhere from 2 months to over a year, depending on your branch, mine was six months at wonderful Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.

Thanks for the info. I think I have learned all I can form the internet and talking to people in the military. I guess it is time to make the dreaded call to the recruiter. I hate recruiters almost as much as car salesman.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I just noticed this thread, and I too have been considering OCS for Army and/or OTS for the Air Force. After talking with a recruiter and some other online sources, I essentially gave up on the Air Force. They have closed down all but one board for FY 2004 unless you are an engineer, rated, and/or a 'stressed' candidate.

Anyhow, for further resources I would check out
Army OCS

Huge wealth of information, also check out: About.com

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
Airforce is the way to go! I was in the Army, and if I could do it again, I would go Airforce. Laid back, and everthing is just nicer.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
This whole becoming a DOD contracter thing looks like it isn't going to work out...so I am thinking about joining the Army. I have a my bachelors degrees, just got my masters, and 3 years as a police officer and am looking to serve my country in a different way.

How hard is it for someone who has been out of college a few years and working to get into Army OCS? What is the process like?

Boy do i have the site for you!

Make a login and read the threads and post... There's a site for each branch.
For the forums!!

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000

Yeah, I am considering the Army, the Marines, and even the Coast Guard.

Hey, don't you be disrespectin the Coast Guard! :|

:p

radiocore

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
I actually just graduated ARMY OCS and Signal OBC. I graduated college in 2001 and signed up for OCS March 2002 and left for Basic Training at Ft. Benning Nov. 2002. Did the 9 weeks of Basic Training and went straight to OCS. You don't have to go to AIT to goto OCS now. Its open to civilians with a college degree...you're called a college option.

After 14 weeks of OCS you head off to your branch OBC. Mine was Signal for 18 weeks. I just graduated that in Oct. Now I am preparing to deploy for Iraq. Should be leaving within the next 2 weeks...just waiting on my visa.

Its not so bad, looking back on the whole experience, but boy does it suck when you're going through it. It was cool though that I went through OCS and Basic with a good group of people. There were like 30 OCS people in my Basic Training Company.

If you flunk out of OCS, you can either get recycled to the next class until you graduate or you have to go to AIT as an enlisted soldier and finish out your contract. OCS contract is 3 years, and enlisted contract would depend on your MOS.

In order to get in to OCS, you have to fill out some paperwork, mostly your recruiter will have to fill out a packet for you. You have to be selected. then you also have to go to a review board and basically get interviewed. Then they'll let you know if you were picked or not. Then you get your dates to ship out to Basic. And then you just take it day by day.

Good luck! :Q:)

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: radiocore
I actually just graduated ARMY OCS and Signal OBC. I graduated college in 2001 and signed up for OCS March 2002 and left for Basic Training at Ft. Benning Nov. 2002. Did the 9 weeks of Basic Training and went straight to OCS. You don't have to go to AIT to goto OCS now. Its open to civilians with a college degree...you're called a college option.

After 14 weeks of OCS you head off to your branch OBC. Mine was Signal for 18 weeks. I just graduated that in Oct. Now I am preparing to deploy for Iraq. Should be leaving within the next 2 weeks...just waiting on my visa.

Its not so bad, looking back on the whole experience, but boy does it suck when you're going through it. It was cool though that I went through OCS and Basic with a good group of people. There were like 30 OCS people in my Basic Training Company.

If you flunk out of OCS, you can either get recycled to the next class until you graduate or you have to go to AIT as an enlisted soldier and finish out your contract. OCS contract is 3 years, and enlisted contract would depend on your MOS.

In order to get in to OCS, you have to fill out some paperwork, mostly your recruiter will have to fill out a packet for you. You have to be selected. then you also have to go to a review board and basically get interviewed. Then they'll let you know if you were picked or not. Then you get your dates to ship out to Basic. And then you just take it day by day.

Good luck! :Q:)
Yeah, I was an active duty recruiter for 2 years. It sounds like little has changed in regards to OCS if the applicant enlists.

I once sent a college grad to the recruiting battalion review board. Prepped him for three days and I'll be damned if he still didn't fail the board.