Armstrong Swift-Lock Laminate Flooring Opinions Wanted

vec

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
I was thinking of replacing the vinyl sheet flooring in our kitchen/entry way with Armstrong's Swift-Lock wood laminate flooring. I've looked at it a Lowes Hardware and checked out Armstrong's website. Installation seems straightforward and the laminate seems very durable and long lasting.

I've downloaded all of the install manuals and tips info, but was wondering if anyone has any experience installing this flooring and would like to share their experiences and thoughts.

Are there any alternatives which are better and just as easy to install? Ease of installation and price are the highest priority for me.

Thanks,

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Huh Huh Huh Huh......he said 'wood'. :D

No experience installing this stuff myself, but I've heard it's really durable stuff that is scratch resistant. I'd just make sure your floor is as flat as possible. Sometimes, if the pieces aren't joined properly due to pits or rises below the mud stuff you can get cracks that will allow water to get under the pieces and cause it to have a shorter life. So do a little research in that area. Also be sure to do plenty of measurements of the room you're putting them in to help plan the placement of the pieces as you would with any floor. ;)

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< I was thinking of replacing the vinyl sheet flooring in our kitchen/entry way with Armstrong's Swift-Lock wood laminate flooring. I've looked at it a Lowes Hardware and checked out Armstrong's website. Installation seems straightforward and the laminate seems very durable and long lasting.

I've downloaded all of the install manuals and tips info, but was wondering if anyone has any experience installing this flooring and would like to share their experiences and thoughts.

Are there any alternatives which are better and just as easy to install? Ease of installation and price are the highest priority for me.

Thanks,
>>

My parents put a Pergo laminate floor in their kitchen a couple years ago. I'm not sure how the price compares to the Armstrong one, but if my parents sprung for it, it can't be that expensive. The installation was a snap--my Dad did the room (probably 10x12 or maybe even a little bigger) by himself in one afternoon--and they are amazingly durable and easy to clean.

vec

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Thanks for the information guys.

I'll be installing it on a cement slab so it should be ok. As far as moisture, I'll probably use their underflooring materials to create a water resistant layer below the laminate.

This stuff is supposed to be easier to install than Pergo. I'm glad to hear you dad did it in an afternoon.

Thanks,

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

<< This stuff is supposed to be easier to install than Pergo. I'm glad to hear you dad did it in an afternoon. >>

Easier than Pergo? Wow.....
Well, I definitely think you're making a good decision. They look so nice and they're so easy to take care of.

vec

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
I think I'll be going with the swift-lock stuff. Thanks for your opinions guys.

Anyone else?

ASK THE COMMUNITY