Feb 4, 2009
been thinking of picking it up. I have some questions
Is it super hardcore like ARMA 2? I felt the controls, stances and just getting stuff done to be incredibly teadious. I like complex games but it felt like too much. I hate call of duty simplicity
The plethora or DLC, if I play with friends does everyone need the same DLC packages or can one own let’s say tanks can the one person who has tanks use tanks or do we all need tanks dlc?
Are the mods steam workshop type things where you simply subscribe and they appear in game?

Thank you

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
It's basically like ArmA2, but the controls aren't as clunky as they used to be.

As for DLC, yes you can be in the server with it, you just can't use it yourself if you haven't bought it. Most mods are available on the steam workshop, so you subscribe to the mod, and then there is a launcher for the game where you can select what mods you want active.

It's still a single thread poorly optimized pig of an engine also.

Feb 4, 2009
It's basically like ArmA2, but the controls aren't as clunky as they used to be.

As for DLC, yes you can be in the server with it, you just can't use it yourself if you haven't bought it. Most mods are available on the steam workshop, so you subscribe to the mod, and then there is a launcher for the game where you can select what mods you want active.

It's still a single thread poorly optimized pig of an engine also.

Thanks, I know this is an opinion thing. How much less clunky are the controls?

I remember ARMA 2 being such a headache to do almost anything including running, getting over a tiny fence and getting into a car to drive.

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks, I know this is an opinion thing. How much less clunky are the controls?

I remember ARMA 2 being such a headache to do almost anything including running, getting over a tiny fence and getting into a car to drive.
They made them more contextual, so if you run up to a car the default action button will be to get in it, versus scrolling through your weapons etc. Movement and animations are more fluid too.

I didn't spend much time with it though. My least favorite of the series just because I'm not a fan of the futuristic/hypothetical equipment and vehicles. Some great mods and terrains, but decent missions to make use of them have always been an issue IMO.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
...I remember ARMA 2 being such a headache to do almost anything including running, getting over a tiny fence and getting into a car to drive.

This is basically why I never really got into it. Bought the second plus the expansion to play DayZ mod through that obscure mod management app but when I tried the actual game I was like totally not into it. Other "tactical" style shooters like Duty and BF might not be tedious but with games I think the more accessible the better, if meant for the mainstream anyway. ARMA could be considered more of a simulation shooter however, and not the run-and-gun frenetic pace games like the aforementioned titles.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Arma is great if you like walking a lot and then being one shot by opfor that is a single pixel somewhere in the hills.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Arma is great if you like walking a lot and then being one shot by opfor that is a single pixel somewhere in the hills.

I agree, ARMA in general is in dire need of someone who knows how to make missions, because the stock ones are all like 30-45 min of travel time and then 1-3 min of fighting then game over.

I have however had a blast playing it with friends with missions we created ourselves.

They really do need a new engine for # 4 though, i wont be purchasing the next edition without a complete engine overhaul.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
They really do need a new engine for # 4 though, i wont be purchasing the next edition without a complete engine overhaul.

8700k @ 5ghz and its still not exactly 'fluid' Its a pretty old engine now, but man they missed the boat on multicore support.

mV9bFz7.gifv