• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

News ARM Matterhorn

soresu

Dec 19, 2014
Found this on the ARM TechCon blog:
1570595006623.png
Someone mentioned this to me recently as something related to ARMv9.0-A, possibly the post Hercules big core.

Link for the ARM TechCon blog here.

A quote under another image:
"MatMuil will double CPU GEMM performance"

"Matternhorn will introduce what Arm is calling "Secure-EL2"
Isolating individual processes within secure memory to avoid cross-contamination.
There will also be stronger protections against return oriented programming exploits."

soresu

Dec 19, 2014
Found this on a related ARM blog from one of the TechCon speakers:

"Since we announced the Cortex-A73, we’ve gradually increased machine learning (ML) performance generation-over-generation and today, we’re working to significantly broaden our CPU coverage for ML. In order to enable this new digital world, we need to push compute to a higher level, which is why we’ve added Matrix Multiply (MatMul) to our next-generation Cortex CPU, “Matterhorn”, effectively doubling ML performance over previous generations."

soresu

Dec 19, 2014
Someone mentioned this to me recently as something related to ARMv9.0-A, possibly the post Hercules big core.
I did mention Matterhorn as the first ARMv9.0-A architecture on the performance core roadmap here
You were the someone in question, I believe I did ask for sources at the time!

Without a source it becomes 'possibly' instead of definitely.

Thanks for linking that thread back though, I lost the R Pi 4 information PDF I posted on there back then.

soresu

Dec 19, 2014
I did mention Matterhorn as the first ARMv9.0-A architecture on the performance core roadmap here
There is another TechCon keynote about this time tomorrow with the ARM head technical fellow Peter Greenhalgh, called "Creating Compute".

I believe considering they name dropped Matterhorn yesterday that they may do the same with v9.0-A tomorrow, though I've likely jinxed the possibility now.

Andrei.

Jan 26, 2015
^ Utter garbage with no relation to Matterhorn.

30% IPC over A77 is 20% lower IPC than the A13. Apple has no plans to switch over from their own custom cores for their Arm Macbook. The A13 largely matches the 9900K, he seems to have no idea of this. Not to mention the GPU rubbish. Ignore such YouTubers.

Asterox

May 15, 2012
^ Utter garbage with no relation to Matterhorn.

30% IPC over A77 is 20% lower IPC than the A13. Apple has no plans to switch over from their own custom cores for their Arm Macbook. The A13 largely matches the 9900K, he seems to have no idea of this. Not to mention the GPU rubbish. Ignore such YouTubers.
You are totally wrong no doubt. If you watch his channel or all videos closely, you will notice that in many cases he was on target.

Time will tell what are Apple real or concrete future plans.As reminder, AMD Threadripper was not on AMD-s the first priority plan or schedule.

soresu

Dec 19, 2014
8cx uses A76 which is a 4 wide core, A13 is 6 wide and more than a little bigger than A76 already - the only way that makes sense is maybe at 5nm.

Even then it took Apple over 2 years between the announcement of v8.0-A and their v8 based Cyclone A7 core - if v9.0-A is announced tomorrow there won't be an Apple core based on it next year, possibly not even the year after.

Andrei.

Jan 26, 2015
Totally wrong no doubt? Remind me again why I bother posting here.

The idea that Apple, which currently has the strongest mobile GPU in the market, and strongest CPU architecture out there outright, would suddenly fall back to have Arm provide them inferior IP is just so laughable that it's not worth discussing. The Apple macbook uses their own cores and their own GPU, and that's a fact.

Matterhorn is a Q4 2021/ Q1 2022 silicon product. But let's not get that minor detail get into the way of spreading made up rumours.

Last edited:

Gideon

Nov 27, 2007
The Apple macbook uses their own cores and their own GPU, and that's a fact.
Finally a confirmation for the ancient but obvious rumor Also seems that you haven't signed any NDAs regarding that, considering the definitive wording

ASK THE COMMUNITY