Arkham Asylum

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
It's fun OUTSMARTING THE GAME too, at one point you can be in a room with two of those large Bane freaks, keep dodging them, letting them take out the smaller goons. Then much easier to fight the Bane freaks...grin.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I played through about half the game (w/ KBM) before I realized there were combos. Made things much less frustrating once I figured those out.

You mean the force takedowns / throws, etc? I thought the game explained those pretty well, what with the alerts telling you to press down + RMB. ;)

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
You mean the force takedowns / throws, etc? I thought the game explained those pretty well, what with the alerts telling you to press down + RMB. ;)

As dense as I am I did manage to I get those down. :D It was the combos or strings or whatever they were called where you had to time the strikes (instead of attacking as fast as possible) that I didn't catch on to for a while.

Looking forward to the next game.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
This would be a top 10 if it weren't for GFWL. What a piece of crap! Anyone else enjoying that mess?

Yeah I had problems with it. I was never able to get updated past 1.0... :/

Regardless, it was an excellent game, if a little short. PhysX caused me some graphical glitches and crashes at various points, but nothing game breaking.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
As dense as I am I did manage to I get those down. :D It was the combos or strings or whatever they were called where you had to time the strikes (instead of attacking as fast as possible) that I didn't catch on to for a while.

Looking forward to the next game.

Hmmm, I have to try this. I haven't bothered to because button mashing has been getting me through the game perfectly.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
it was a great game, but lets not be delusional it was incredibly formulaic and this type of game has been done a zillion times

all that it really added was atmosphere and a sense of freedom because you could zip around wrecking people

they definitely put a lot of work into the game and i would not rob them off that credit, but ive played a zillion games that follow exactly the same progression

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
it was a great game, but lets not be delusional it was incredibly formulaic and this type of game has been done a zillion times

all that it really added was atmosphere and a sense of freedom because you could zip around wrecking people

they definitely put a lot of work into the game and i would not rob them off that credit, but ive played a zillion games that follow exactly the same progression

You're forgetting the most important thing that makes this game awesome...Batman! :awe:

Already having an attachment to the characters and the high-level strolyines really made the game more enjoyable to me.

KT

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Awesomely fun game!

Just curious - I played it on the PS3. Was there any advantage to playing the Xbox or PC versions?

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Yeah I had problems with it. I was never able to get updated past 1.0... :/

Regardless, it was an excellent game, if a little short. PhysX caused me some graphical glitches and crashes at various points, but nothing game breaking.

I didn't think it was short, especially when compared to the shooters and such out there. Then again, I take my time and explore alot (or at least try to). I think my total playtime was 19 hours or so, and I still haven't found all the tapes and so on.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Freaking game scared me yesterday.
I was walking down a corridor when the screen fills with garbage for a second, looking exactly like my last video card which died on me after 2 days of use. Then a video starts playing and I feel a bit relieved but then I remember it looks exactly like the intro video and I'm like fuck this shit, the game crashed and restarted and it probably reset my savegame to the start...boy was I rfelieved when I saw the joker was driving the batmobile and I realized it was going to be another Scarecrow encounter.

Awesome game :thumbsup:

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Freaking game scared me yesterday.
I was walking down a corridor when the screen fills with garbage for a second, looking exactly like my last video card which died on me after 2 days of use. Then a video starts playing and I feel a bit relieved but then I remember it looks exactly like the intro video and I'm like fuck this shit, the game crashed and restarted and it probably reset my savegame to the start...boy was I rfelieved when I saw the joker was driving the batmobile and I realized it was going to be another Scarecrow encounter.

Awesome game :thumbsup:

I've played through the game twice, and that scene has startled the geek in me both times :).

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Hmmm, I have to try this. I haven't bothered to because button mashing has been getting me through the game perfectly.

Yeah, me too - I guess I never figured out the timing to avoid getting whacked. It seemed if I was mid-attack when someone came at me with a pipe, I got hit with it. :p

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Awesomely fun game!

Just curious - I played it on the PS3. Was there any advantage to playing the Xbox or PC versions?
Just better graphics. I think on the ps3 you get the batcave for home and you get the joker challenge maps

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
does anyone has tips on doing chain combos with keyboard and mouse, basically beating the whole game on keyboard and mouse only?
i started the game with xbox controller but i've since put it away and don't want to bother with it again and was wondering if it was worth finishing it on keyboard and mouse.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
does anyone has tips on doing chain combos with keyboard and mouse, basically beating the whole game on keyboard and mouse only?
i started the game with xbox controller but i've since put it away and don't want to bother with it again and was wondering if it was worth finishing it on keyboard and mouse.
Funny,I started playing with kb/m and felt better with the xbox controller.