Arizona elections chief seeks proof of Obama's citizenship

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Maybe Hay is an INFP.

E or I NTP

After he was Haya then Winston I thought INFJ... He is within his realm when he can reason with logic while I am and I maintain you are blessed with intuitive absorbtion followed by reasoned explanation for what we already know... hehehehhe

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
When was AZ ballsy?

We've been stuck on stupid since we elected Ev Mecham.

When they took a stand against illegals and the federal government did nothing except encourage them.
Now they are just acting like angry teens.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
That is for 'Independent' candidates... I'm not sure but think the 'Party' candidates have similar requirements but the dates are a bit different... and the content, as I recall... But that could be for all candidates too... I'm vaguely aware there are two.. can't seem to locate the other, though.

My wife person has california's but won't let me see them... hmmmmm guess she thinks I'm a spy.... She said, "look it up turkey!" gobble gobble...:D
Nope. Was linked to here.
A.R.S. § 16-341 Presidential Candidates – Filing Information
http://www.azsos.gov/election/candidate/Presidential_16-341.htm

Which was linked to from here
Presidential Candidate Packet ~ A.R.S. § 16-341
http://www.azsos.gov/election/CandidateFilingInformation.htm

Last edited:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
He's secretary of state and in charge of the election process of his state. He would have authority vested in him by the state and as a part of the executive branch has the ability to act in whatever way considered proper by AZ unless it contradicts law. Thats such a basic concept it's difficult to imagine someone thinking otherwise. He does not need the approval of any federal entity. Imagine someone saying that the US sec of state cannot move unless every possible action was first legislated then approved by the courts. You'd laugh at that. Well within his states borders the same principle holds. Overstepped his authority? He does not answer to the feds no more than Obama is legally obliged to follow AZs orders. It's a basic seperation of state and federal authorities.
No, he can't just do anything he wants.

http://www.azleg.gov/const/5/1.htm
C. The officers of the executive department during their terms of office shall reside at the seat of government where they shall keep their offices and the public records, books, and papers. They shall perform such duties as are prescribed by the constitution and as may be provided by law.

Section 9. The powers and duties of secretary of state, state treasurer, attorney-general, and superintendent of public instruction shall be as prescribed by law.

http://www.azsos.gov/public_service...ewide_elected_officials/secretary/history.htm

Is the chief elections officer for the state: certifies the names of state candidates and initiative and referendum measures to the ballot; tests the voting equipment in each county before each election; conducts recounts; prepares the official canvass for both the primary and the general elections; and certifies recognition of new political parties.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/16/00242.htm&Title=16&DocType=ARS

16-242. Qualifications for ballot; nomination paper

A. A person seeking nomination as a candidate for the office of president of the United States shall sign and cause to be filed with the secretary of state a nomination paper that contains the following information:

1. The name, residence address and mailing address of the candidate.
2. The name of the recognized political party from which the person seeks nomination.
3. The name and address of the chairman of the candidate's state committee.
4. The exact manner for printing the candidate's name on the presidential preference ballot pursuant to section 16-311.

No requirement to check for birth certificates.

B. The nomination paper shall be filed not less than fifty days nor more than seventy days before the presidential preference election and not later than 5:00 p.m. on the last day for filing.

I.e., No papers have been filed yet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No, he can't just do anything ./QUOTE]

He can't do anything which counters state law. Now where does the law say he can't ask? You are missing a basic point. Some AZ guy asks him to make a request. As the person charged with dealing with foreign governments he requests official confirmation. Thats the end of it as the op post describes it. Note "request" as in ask? People have their panties in a bunch and consequently change things to what they want to have been said. Now if he demands it as a condition to be a candidate then hes overstepped his authority without doubt since there were multiple attempts to pass requirements aka birth certificates which failed. I'm not defending him but unless he tries to impede or require then thats that. Note that the thousands of lawyers who might have challenged asking haven't? He is most likely using a request as an excuse to curry favor with potential voters.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
"On behalf of a constituent..." Sure...

Likely "constituent".

arpaio_underwear.jpg

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He is most likely using a request as an excuse to curry favor with potential voters.

Just say it- He's pandering to Birthers, depending on the notion that swing voters won't mind being associated with delusional fringe-whacks & their enablers.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
No, he can't just do anything

He can't do anything which counters state law. Now where does the law say he can't ask? You are missing a basic point. Some AZ guy asks him to make a request. As the person charged with dealing with foreign governments he requests official confirmation. Thats the end of it as the op post describes it. Note "request" as in ask? People have their panties in a bunch and consequently change things to what they want to have been said. Now if he demands it as a condition to be a candidate then hes overstepped his authority without doubt since there were multiple attempts to pass requirements aka birth certificates which failed. I'm not defending him but unless he tries to impede or require then thats that. Note that the thousands of lawyers who might have challenged asking haven't? He is most likely using a request as an excuse to curry favor with potential voters.
Again, if its an official function of his office, then where are the procedures for a constituent to ask for verification of other candidates???

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/arizona/politics/article_69c323d8-ab70-11e1-8e41-001a4bcf887a.html

AZ sec. of state not ready to check Romney’s birth status

Secretary of State Ken Bennett will not verify the birth records of Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, at least not now — and possibly not ever — despite an earlier public commitment to do so.

Bennett acknowledged Thursday he has received requests from Arizona residents to perform the same kind of verification through Michigan about Romney’s birth certificate as he did through Hawaii for Barack Obama. And he said that he had, in fact, agreed to make such a check if he got a request.

But Bennett is now saying he needs something else: An allegation by an Arizona law enforcement agency that there is a question about the veracity of a candidate’s claimed birth certificate.

He said that was always a precondition of looking into Romney or anyone else. He just never disclosed that.

Yup...