Arizona elections chief seeks proof of Obama's citizenship

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Arizona is off its rocker...we have really started to turn around since the bubble burst in 2008. There is still more for him to do but that takes a good Congress and time.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So what's the process for a constituent to request the SoS to do such inquiries?

I've no idea. Maybe ask?

The whole thing has been done to death and it might be annoying. OK granted. He might fart in church. Both stink, but to carry on about either? Thats silly too. Now if what I said is factually incorrect please enlighten me.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I've no idea. Maybe ask?

The whole thing has been done to death and it might be annoying. OK granted. He might fart in church. Both stink, but to carry on about either? Thats silly too. Now if what I said is factually incorrect please enlighten me.
I'm asking you because you're asserting that he has the capabilities.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah I'm sure the Arizona SoS is just genuinely curious as to whether or not Obama was born in the US. I mean I'm sure he missed the mountains of news coverage that the repeated certifications by Hawaii, the personal guarantee by the Hawaiian governor, the public posting of the birth certificate, etc, etc. I mean at this point it's simply hard to know if Obama was born in the US or not!

This guy is pandering to the crazies. Period. Everyone here knows it.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
http://www.azsos.gov/election/forms/nomin_paper_partisan_fed.pdf

This affidavit used to be what folks for federal office provided the Elections folks... Sec State usually. I think it is the same for all States given that Federal Elections are a tad bit different than State Elections.

To challenge the veracity of the affidavit seems to me to be a federal district court issue and one must have standing in order to do so.... I'd assume the Sec State has standing but not Joe Citizen... Perhaps someone could argue that Obama lacks the efficacy to self produce the results they seek to obtain.... making moot the affidavit's ummm value?

I think the date of change on the affidavit is Jan of 2012 so it is current.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
Yes, it is. The statement he posted was not racism. Show me anywhere, in any reputable dictionary, where racism is defined as only referring to blacks.

I double dog dare ya.

Are liberals stupid or what?

You need to reread the original quote. In no way did he define racism as only applying to blacks. He presented it as an example of racism. 'For example' would have been clearer than 'say', but did not not say racism only refers to blacks.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
http://www.azsos.gov/election/forms/nomin_paper_partisan_fed.pdf

This affidavit used to be what folks for federal office provided the Elections folks... Sec State usually. I think it is the same for all States given that Federal Elections are a tad bit different than State Elections.

To challenge the veracity of the affidavit seems to me to be a federal district court issue and one must have standing in order to do so.... I'd assume the Sec State has standing but not Joe Citizen... Perhaps someone could argue that Obama lacks the efficacy to self produce the results they seek to obtain.... making moot the affidavit's ummm value?

I think the date of change on the affidavit is Jan of 2012 so it is current.
Except....... according to this form, the filing period hasn't even begun yet.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Except....... according to this form, the filing period hasn't even begun yet.

That is for 'Independent' candidates... I'm not sure but think the 'Party' candidates have similar requirements but the dates are a bit different... and the content, as I recall... But that could be for all candidates too... I'm vaguely aware there are two.. can't seem to locate the other, though.

My wife person has california's but won't let me see them... hmmmmm guess she thinks I'm a spy.... She said, "look it up turkey!" gobble gobble...:D

Last edited:

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
You'd think that a group of people who keep extolling the American Dream would want to promote the story of an immigrant who came to this country and rose to the Presidency.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
You'd think that a group of people who keep extolling the American Dream would want to promote the story of an immigrant who came to this country and rose to the Presidency.

Legislation to enable a few interesting immigrants failed... Schwarzenegger by Hatch and a few others...

I think it is clear that we'd have to amend to enable a non citizen who becomes one to be president.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Legislation to enable a few interesting immigrants failed... Schwarzenegger by Hatch and a few others...

I think it is clear that we'd have to amend to enable a non citizen who becomes one to be president.

And that's an amendment I DO NOT want to see happen.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
And that's an amendment I DO NOT want to see happen.

I sorta want natural born to be synonymous with serving in the Federal and State elective offices.

I don't think I favor the American Dream being extended to Prince Charles as he becomes a citizen, King and President... :eek:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I sorta want natural born to be synonymous with serving in the Federal and State elective offices.

I don't think I favor the American Dream being extended to Prince Charles as he becomes a citizen, King and President... :eek:

I wouldn't object if "native born" was a requirement for ANY/ALL state/federal jobs and political offices, whether elected or appointed.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I wouldn't object if "native born" was a requirement for ANY/ALL state/federal jobs and political offices, whether elected or appointed.

I'd have to think on that for awhile. I'm leaning toward elective office... I just don't know as I type if I could go as far as you.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I'm asking you because you're asserting that he has the capabilities.

He's secretary of state and in charge of the election process of his state. He would have authority vested in him by the state and as a part of the executive branch has the ability to act in whatever way considered proper by AZ unless it contradicts law. Thats such a basic concept it's difficult to imagine someone thinking otherwise. He does not need the approval of any federal entity. Imagine someone saying that the US sec of state cannot move unless every possible action was first legislated then approved by the courts. You'd laugh at that. Well within his states borders the same principle holds. Overstepped his authority? He does not answer to the feds no more than Obama is legally obliged to follow AZs orders. It's a basic seperation of state and federal authorities.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
He's secretary of state and in charge of the election process of his state. He would have authority vested in him by the state and as a part of the executive branch has the ability to act in whatever way considered proper by AZ unless it contradicts law. Thats such a basic concept it's difficult to imagine someone thinking otherwise. He does not need the approval of any federal entity. Imagine someone saying that the US sec of state cannot move unless every possible action was first legislated then approved by the courts. You'd laugh at that. Well within his states borders the same principle holds. Overstepped his authority? He does not answer to the feds no more than Obama is legally obliged to follow AZs orders. It's a basic seperation of state and federal authorities.

There are some aspects of State law that are not applicable to Federal office candidates... Term Limits for instance. The State cannot impose those on a Congressional person... and from the fiasco in Florida of 2000 we have the 11th circuit being involved with the federal aspect of voter stuff... that would be fine by State Law...
In general, I'm trying to suggest that the States and their officers can act in accord with what ever their authority is so long as they don't try to trump federal law as in my example of the congress person's right to run regardless of state law on term limits... Even if they were broad enough to include all offices. Which, I don't know of any States that have laws that are.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
There are some aspects of State law that are not applicable to Federal office candidates... Term Limits for instance. The State cannot impose those on a Congressional person... and from the fiasco in Florida of 2000 we have the 11th circuit being involved with the federal aspect of voter stuff... that would be fine by State Law...
In general, I'm trying to suggest that the States and their officers can act in accord with what ever their authority is so long as they don't try to trump federal law as in my example of the congress person's right to run regardless of state law on term limits... Even if they were broad enough to include all offices. Which, I don't know of any States that have laws that are.

That's perfectly true. Conversely the Federal government cannot interfere in state law unless it conflicts with Constitutionally valid powers or run counter the the Constitution which is the ultimate authority in matters of law. In these cases Federal law trumps State. That does not mean as some would seem to believe that states are subservient to the whims of Congress when the latter lacks Constitutional authority to do so. To use your example of term limits the Federal government cannot limit those of state representatives. It's Civics 001.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeah I'm sure the Arizona SoS is just genuinely curious as to whether or not Obama was born in the US. I mean I'm sure he missed the mountains of news coverage that the repeated certifications by Hawaii, the personal guarantee by the Hawaiian governor, the public posting of the birth certificate, etc, etc. I mean at this point it's simply hard to know if Obama was born in the US or not!

This guy is pandering to the crazies. Period. Everyone here knows it.

"Not Birtherism, but #1 with Birthers..."

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
That's perfectly true. Conversely the Federal government cannot interfere in state law unless it conflicts with Constitutionally valid powers or run counter the the Constitution which is the ultimate authority in matters of law. In these cases Federal law trumps State. That does not mean as some would seem to believe that states are subservient to the whims of Congress when the latter lacks Constitutional authority to do so. To use your example of term limits the Federal government cannot limit those of state representatives. It's Civics 001.

Right! The Supremacy clause of Article VI has to be 'in pursuance thereof' [Constitutionally authorized stuff] and the 10th gives the rest to the States... except, imo, Arizona. In Arizona it is obvious the grand schism to the north draws the brain power from the inhabitants down into the muck that once contained the remnants of a strong breed of person... but that too has been lost to the calm ocean to the west.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Right! The Supremacy clause of Article VI has to be 'in pursuance thereof' [Constitutionally authorized stuff] and the 10th gives the rest to the States... except, imo, Arizona. In Arizona it is obvious the grand schism to the north draws the brain power from the inhabitants down into the muck that once contained the remnants of a strong breed of person... but that too has been lost to the calm ocean to the west.

There's the principle that because a thing may be done does not mean it should be. That's my take on much that goes on. Still, an accurate representation of the facts is not without merit, nor does it imply approval. Objectivity is hard.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
There's the principle that because a thing may be done does not mean it should be. That's my take on much that goes on. Still, an accurate representation of the facts is not without merit, nor does it imply approval. Objectivity is hard.

Sounds like what Moonbeam keeps trying to drill into my thinking...:) I sorta take the easy way and IF they have authority and choose to exercise it then fine... if not then fine too. IF they don't have authority then I scream from the cactus top... both the pointy things and their actions ought not be sticking my behind.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Sounds like what Moonbeam keeps trying to drill into my thinking...:) I sorta take the easy way and IF they have authority and choose to exercise it then fine... if not then fine too. IF they don't have authority then I scream from the cactus top... both the pointy things and their actions ought not be sticking my behind.

Maybe Hay is an INFP.