Arizona County Lists Wrong Election Date on Spanish-Language Voter Documents

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why is it whenever these "mistakes" are reported it's always in minority communities? Mailers, phone calls in these same communities giving the wrong date for the election or other false information. Anyone want to make bets (not $10,000) this kind of stuff will continue up to election day?

In June, the county’s elections office started distributing Spanish-language voter registration cards that listed the wrong date for the 2012 general election, CNN reports.

The voter ID documents in question listed the correct date of Election Day, November 6, for those reading the English section, but listed it as November 8 in Spanish

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/18...ion-date-on-spanish-language-voter-documents/

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Can't read/speak Englis? Haven't found out from a Gov source when the election is? Sorry, sympathy not found...

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
They used the number 8. You don't need to know english to translate that. Notice they didn't put a space between the 8 and DE so it would not stand out. They had a space on the other dates. No doubt it was on purpose.

19854625_BG1.jpg

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
So typical.
The issue is plain and simple fraud. Language is not the issue here.
I don't care of they are commie loving leftist pig Latin speaking midgets voters,
the intent here was to confuse and outright mislead.
A crime!
You know this ballot form was verified and re verified before they are released.
This is simple criminal activity by this county in AZ.
Lets guess which party is in charge for this county?
Go on... Guess.
And those responcible should go to jail.
But that will never happen because those that should bring charges are birds of a feather, no doubt.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
So typical.
The issue is plain and simple fraud. Language is not the issue here.
I don't care of they are commie loving leftist pig Latin speaking midgets voters,
the intent here was to confuse and outright mislead.
A crime!
You know this ballot form was verified and re verified before they are released.
This is simple criminal activity by this county in AZ.
Lets guess which party is in charge for this county?
Go on... Guess.
And those responcible should go to jail.
But that will never happen because those that should bring charges are birds of a feather, no doubt.

The most obvious answer here is that it is a simple typo. But in your desire to bash the Republican party, you have made the assumptions that:

1. Multiple people in charge had the stupidity to believe that they could pull off a stunt like this MONTHS IN ADVANCE OF THE ACTUAL ELECTION without gaining state-wide or even national attention.
2. Non-english speakers lack the basic cognitive abilities to recognize a simple pattern (all thee of the other dates follow the same pattern, where the date listed in English matches the date listed in Spanish, IN A NUMBER EVEN, which is pretty universally recognized).
3. This was intentional criminal activity and you are already condemning people to jail time, going on absolutely nothing but pure speculation.

Pathetic.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
The most obvious answer here is that it is a simple typo. .

Not only that, but we are talking about only 50 document with the mistake (out of 2 million) ?

The voter ID documents in question listed the correct date of Election Day, November 6, for those reading the English section, but listed it as November 8 in Spanish. In an October 16 press release, the Maricopa Recorder’s Office said elections officials mailed out 2 million new voter registration cards, and only those that had been handed out in the office had the date error. Based on figures from previous years, the office estimates that it gave out 50 or so erroneous cards.

If this were some nefarious plot, wouldn't they try and get a bit more mileage out of it ? Give Romney a latino last name ?? Something ??

Unless I'm missing something, gonna have to call Occam's Razor on this one.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The obvious answer is that US official documents and publications should be in English only and people who want to participate in our society should learn to speak our accepted language.

Either way, you'd have to be Hellen Keller to not figure out what "NOVEMBER 6, 2012" means. Seriously, I don't speak a lick of Spanish, and I'd be able to figure out what "6 DE NOVEMBRE 2012" meant.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The most obvious answer here is that it is a simple typo. But in your desire to bash the Republican party, you have made the assumptions that:

1. Multiple people in charge had the stupidity to believe that they could pull off a stunt like this MONTHS IN ADVANCE OF THE ACTUAL ELECTION without gaining state-wide or even national attention.
2. Non-english speakers lack the basic cognitive abilities to recognize a simple pattern (all thee of the other dates follow the same pattern, where the date listed in English matches the date listed in Spanish, IN A NUMBER EVEN, which is pretty universally recognized).
3. This was intentional criminal activity and you are already condemning people to jail time, going on absolutely nothing but pure speculation.

Pathetic.
Very well put.

The obvious answer is that US official documents and publications should be in English only and people who want to participate in our society should learn to speak our accepted language.

Either way, you'd have to be Hellen Keller to not figure out what "NOVEMBER 6, 2012" means. Seriously, I don't speak a lick of Spanish, and I'd be able to figure out what "6 DE NOVEMBRE 2012" meant.
I agree completely. Borders, language, culture. We need ONE language in which every American is reasonably fluent.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why is it whenever these "mistakes" are reported it's always in minority communities? Mailers, phone calls in these same communities giving the wrong date for the election or other false information. Anyone want to make bets (not $10,000) this kind of stuff will continue up to election day?

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/18...ion-date-on-spanish-language-voter-documents/

I have an issue with them sending out spanish language voter documents at all.

Sympathy not found.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Naturalized citizens are tested on English before being granted citizenship.

Native citizens learn English in school.

So how exactly would any US Citizen not know English?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Naturalized citizens are tested on English before being granted citizenship.

Native citizens learn English in school.

So how exactly would any US Citizen not know English?

People doing the naturalization test do not follow the rules.
If a person can not converse in english, a translator is provided.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont think its cool to fuck people over like that, on the other hand the only reason ANYTHING is in spanish is because the majority of illegals are spanish-speakers and I see no reason to do anything nice for their so-called "community". If Obama wont let us throw them out then I'd like to do everything I can to make them feel as unwelcome as possible.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I dont think its cool to fuck people over like that, on the other hand the only reason ANYTHING is in spanish is because the majority of illegals are spanish-speakers and I see no reason to do anything nice for their so-called "community". If Obama wont let us throw them out then I'd like to do everything I can to make them feel as unwelcome as possible.
Once again your racism is on display for all to see. There are millions of American-born American citizens for whom Spanish is their first language.