Arizona birther bill

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Assholes who want to be reassured their president is American? Lol.

Why do these assholes require more reassurance with this President than they did with any other President before? Lol.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Because this one has freely admitted he's of Kenyan decent and his "grandmother" and wife have said that that is his home? Lol.

So the birth certificate was provided and verified 2 years ago and you still doubt it. Got it. Why is that, I wonder?

The constitutional requirement, article II section 5, makes no mention of descent. Lol.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Again, not really sure what the big deal is.

Like the immigration issue, the federal government is unwilling to enforce the law or the constitution.

The constitution clearly states that the president must be a natural citizen.
How is requiring someone to prove that irrational?

Nice bit of innuendo there, implying that FEC did not enforce the constitution in Obama's case.

Nope, this law is not partisan birther nonsense at all . . .

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont know if anyone has considered the fact this really doesnt fucking matter. They let the guy get elected. They swore him in. THEY DONT FUCKING CARE!!
Does anybody in this country honestly think that congress or a supreme court justice will take the president out of office?
And what if he were? Since he was supposedly an invalid president, do all of his decisions automatically get overridden? Is that what this is all about? Arizona doesnt like the healthcare bill so they want turn back the clock or enter an alternate dimension where the president didnt do it?

Seriously guys, even if he sells secrets to North Korea and rapes white American girls in the Oval office on national television, his work in not going to simply disappear. At best the next president can push to override or cancel the health bill, and at that point it will have already been going for a bit.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It doesn't matter where he was born; he is still a Moron.

Proving where you were born is important if you are running for Pres. It is the law.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Agreed. Its sad when people get up in arms and angry when asked to follow the law. Certain public offices require specific requirements be meant, there's nothing wrong with laws requiring that those requirements be meant and made public.

Same with the immigration bill, enforcing immigration laws is a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with asking people to follow the law. It's the way support for this law is phrased, as well as the timing of it being implemented, make it very clear that the intended implication is that President Obama DIDN'T follow the law during the 2008 election. The constitutional requirement was already in place, the only reason to add this kind of "verification" law now is if you think the constitutional requirement won't be met otherwise.

Even though I have no doubt that this law wouldn't prevent Obama from being President, since he IS a natural born citizen, this bill is still legislative Obama bashing pretending to be something else. And that's what I have the problem with.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I still don't see how the birther movement actually hurts Obama's presidency. It actually makes it much easier for him to dismiss his critics as idiots. If Obama himself didn't think they were a useful sideshow he would have produced his birth certificate very early in the process. There is only one person with the power to make the birthers go away, but the corollary is crystal clear once you see it: there is only one person who ever had the power to create the birther movement in the first place.

Don't worry about Obama's feelings or the potential for his "embarrassment" in all of this. He is a shrewd politician. By doing exactly what was required of him in the election process and nothing more, he caused a large contingent of his critics to marginalize themselves into a movement that made them repulsive to the center. Any Presidential candidate would give his largest donor to have such a gift. It's only gravy that he has the exclusive power to disperse this fringe movement at will.

I don't know who is sillier: the birthers or the people who think that Obama is actually hurt by them politically...

Because Obama is the President NOW, for one thing...while this law would only come into effect when he runs again 2 years from now. In the meantime, the existence of this law is implying that he skirted the system (which is why we need more protection in the form of this law) and got into the most powerful office in the country while lying about his citizenship. That sounds pretty damaging to me...

In any case, proving that your opponents are morons doesn't always make their attacks ineffective. Many political attacks are based entirely on accusation and insinuation, and even in the target can't be concretely linked to anything bad, just creating the linkage in peoples' minds by repeating it over and over is often enough.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
There's nothing wrong with asking people to follow the law. It's the way support for this law is phrased, as well as the timing of it being implemented, make it very clear that the intended implication is that President Obama DIDN'T follow the law during the 2008 election. The constitutional requirement was already in place, the only reason to add this kind of "verification" law now is if you think the constitutional requirement won't be met otherwise.

Even though I have no doubt that this law wouldn't prevent Obama from being President, since he IS a natural born citizen, this bill is still legislative Obama bashing pretending to be something else. And that's what I have the problem with.
So for the sake of clarity, if McCain had won and was our President, you would be just as opposed to this legislation because it would be McCain bashing. Right? Remember, there was some controversy over his being born in the Panama Canal Zone.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Because Obama is the President NOW, for one thing...while this law would only come into effect when he runs again 2 years from now. In the meantime, the existence of this law is implying that he skirted the system (which is why we need more protection in the form of this law) and got into the most powerful office in the country while lying about his citizenship. That sounds pretty damaging to me...
If that is the extent of the damage, then it is totally wrong to claim that is a reason not to inflict it. There is nothing technically wrong with a state reserving the right to verify a candidate's eligibility. Sure it's being advocated by wingnuts as a cheap ploy, but an ad hominem attack is still an illegitimate reason to discredit a policy - even if the as hominem is totally legitimate (here the legitimate ad hom I am refering to is the one you are making against the loons in Arizona, not the one on Obama). You could claim that any state that chose to be more assertive about it was "damaging" the sitting President and thereby make excuses to never improve any rules. Obama is a big boy, he can take it. And if it wasn't clear from my previous posts, my next paragraph continues to lay out why Obama himself actually benefits from the "damage".
In any case, proving that your opponents are morons doesn't always make their attacks ineffective. Many political attacks are based entirely on accusation and insinuation, and even in the target can't be concretely linked to anything bad, just creating the linkage in peoples' minds by repeating it over and over is often enough.
The thing is the birther movement actually helps Obama. As long as it is a major force on the extreme fringes of the Republican party, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to gain enough momentum on the center right to unseat him. In order to do so a GOP nominee would have to consolidate the base and that would require reaching out to the brithers, opening them up to "pandering to crazy folk" attacks. The WORST thing that could happen to Obama's reelection chances is the birther movement disappearing from prominence. As long as it is in place Obama's only vulnerability is from the far left. And incumbent Presidents usually don't have a hard fight to get their second nomination.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
the only reason to add this kind of "verification" law now is if you think the constitutional requirement won't be met otherwise.

Again, that last paragraph nails the biggest reason for such a bill right on the head. This legislation isn't because they don't think the constitutional requirement won't be met otherwise - this legislation is to maintain the votes of their Republican base. "Yeah, see that! Our Congressman is tough on going after Obama! Yeeehawwww, I'm a going to vote for him again."

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
don't all localities have their own rules for how they allow/verify candidates. if this doesn't do anything illegal what's the big deal?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
To keep the dream alive, I hope the GOP makes this one of the planks in their national platform.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Originally Posted by Patranus said:
Secondly, there were people on the left who did question his eligibility.
Bullshit.....show me a real poll where 20-30% of the country said that McCain wasn't a citizen. I am sure there might be one or two people but not many. Certainly not like Obama.

On the other hand, 1 year AFTER Obama's inauguration, 20-30% of the country STILL think he wasn't born in the US.

Again, intellectual dishonesty is you forte, it seems. You again willingly ignore facts because of your blind partisanship.

Still waiting on Patranus to provide some proof of his bullshit that "the left" doubted McCain. Show a poll that showed that 20-30% of Americans thought McCain wasn't eligible to run for President. There are plenty of polls that show they still don't think Obama is born in the US.

You post lies, expect to be called on them. And you still didn't answer either how the Republican governor of Hawaii, and their DoH examined and verified Obama's birth certificate and found it valid? Do you hate Hawaii? Are they somehow not conservative enough for you?

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I wonder if McCain had won if this birther movement would exist. He definitely wasn't born in the US.

Somehow I doubt it.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why exactly do we care where our president was born? I've met many people who moved here in their 20s or later who are better Americans than a lot of people born here.