Argh, this is slowly driving me insane. (aaand.. bye!)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
My keyboard randomly stops working. OK, that's ok, I figure I can get a new keyboard eventually. This happened on another computer once before. At this point I've switched mobos and power supplies so I ruled out those... But now I'm starting to have second thoughts. My mouse suddenly dissapeared. It was EXACTLY like the keyboard failure. I unplug it and plug it back in, and magically it works again. That is insanely frustrating when it keeps happening. However this is the first time for the mouse. The keyboard thing has happened for a long long time. Sometimes it goes a week without dying, sometimes it dies 3 times in twenty minutes.

Should I unplug my computer and leave it unplugged, before I go insane? Yesterday I felt like smashing this keyboard to bits. If I had a backup or a new keyboard, I WOULD have. ;)

Now the MOUSE, on top of it? If nothing like this had ever happened I'd have said, OK, I dropped the mouse a few times, it seemed to work fine but maybe there was damage. But when the SAME FREAKING THING happens with the mouse AND keyboard.. grrr. And why would the mouse JUST start NOW?

Another thing... I got a shock yesterday. I reached to replug the keyboard, I didn't actually touch the comp (at least I didn't think I did), and I got a shock! I was getting shocked by all kinds of things that day. That happened once before, which made the sound stop working. This time it didn't apparently do anything.

Last time I checked, reliable computer hardware (last time I checked, LiteOn and Logitech WERE reliable, and mouse/keyboards don't typically get faulty) was not supposed to randomly cease functioning. Should I do something before I go insane? What do you guys suggest? What would you diagnose as the problem?

Otherwise the system works perfectly, been on for weeks (months?) running 2K. It's a cheapo K7S5A mobo, some 300w PS. My bro also has a K7S5A and the same typical generic case/PS and he has no probs. Thing is, I don't want to spend on new mouse/keyboard just to realize it STILL happens. And I don't wanna buy a new mobo/case/ps just to discover the keyboard was defective afterall. If I move the keyboard to test, what if it works fine for a bit so I suspect it's not faulty, yet it actually turns out to be faulty?

Dammit...

Should I just avoid my computer till I'm out of college (except when I NEED to use it for an assignment. which should be rare to never)?

Need some ideas..

Thanks.

-RSI

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000

<< i'm confused >>

Ironically, that's the most intelligent response yet.

<< go to hell. >>

Thanks for all the insightful, intelligent, mature responses. I can see that nobody even considered the fact that I accidentally hit enter after typing the subject line, huh. Wow... I thought at least SOMEONE would have guessed that. Anyway, read again, people.

-RSI

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
I have a similar problem with my optical mouse. Every so often it will go off and most of the time I just have to reboot my computer to get it to work again. Though every so often it will not come back on after I reboot so I have to plug it into either the PS/2 or USB port, whichever one it was not plugged into when it turned off. Luckily this doesn't happen very often, but yes I know what you mean about going crazy because of this.

I have no idea why they do this, but maybe somebody does.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
That sucks, Tony. It's different from mine though. This thing is like... evil, possessed or something. I swear, it's out to get me (my sanity that is).

It's always exactly the same thing. It just randomly suddenly stops working. Plugging back in always makes it work. Never any exceptions. Never needs a reboot. Argh..

Frustration of computers...

-RSI

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
My keyboard starts acting weird every once in a while and so does my mouse. I fret over it for hours every time and then I remember that my kb and mouse are wireless. The damn batteries are going dead. Never fails. Sometimes I feel llike Pavlov's dog.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Ok, I've made the decision. I'm shutting this bastard off. Off I tell you!!!! It can't get me if it's off.

There's no point in keeping it on all the time and wasting my time. I figure this is a good time to do this, with my situation at school and all. I have to shape up quick. I've never really put in an effort before and I've got this far, but if I want to actually succeed and get anywhere I'm going to have to get my act together. And suddenly "trying" isn't going to magically work, I know. This is about the last point where I can slack off. I can't keep doing it. I've got to get my CRC score (my average compared to everyone elses averages.. this is used heavily in university acceptance here) up which is currently terrible. I have a semester to get my work habits good, then i've got to get good grades in all my courses, for 3 (maybe 4) semesters. If I succeed as planned, I will be ok, good to go... If not then I'm screw-ed.

Anyway, take care, y'all. If you here from me again soon, it's likely being posted from school.

-RSI

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Have you ever stopped to consider that you might not be going insane, but that you may already be? That would explain the apparent sporadic outages you are experiencing. Maybe that shock did something to your brain perhaps? The human psyche is adept at fooling itself into believing things that are not true.