ARGGGG

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
I am here at work and was trying to recover a hard drive with a corrupted mbr, and it was close to lunch so I left it. My supervisor was playing around and fdisked my test system! This is a 1.8 running seti! Now I am trying to scramble to get it back up enough to crunch before I leave for the weekend! DARN IT!

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Sorry to hear that MoFunk! nothing like lost crunch time. I've only put in about 2 hours of time today due to trying to get BF1942 to work again. It is some kind of driver problem but I havent quite figured out which one yet (99% sure it's the chipset :|)
Edit...Never used the mad emotion icon before, it's not quite that bad.;)

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: titanmiller
Sorry to hear that MoFunk! nothing like lost crunch time. I've only put in about 2 hours of time today due to trying to get BF1942 to work again. It is some kind of driver problem but I havent quite figured out which one yet (99% sure it's the chipset :|)
Edit...Never used the mad emotion icon before, it's not quite that bad.;)

What does it (not) do?

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
It caused problems out of the box due to my system being a 1 in a 1000 that wont work out of the box. After 12 hours of work christmas day I got it working after reading messageboards and found others with the same problem. It turned out to be my chipset driver (upgraded to Via Hyperion 4 in 1 driver) BF1942 worked then but after a few weeks I ran 3dMark2001 SE only to find that my score had drastically been reduced (from 7908 to 5500). It had been 3 weeks or so since I ran 3dmark and I had made various changes and therfore took a while to realize that the new Via driver is what caused my score to be so low. I found an older version of the via driver and my score was (nearly) where it was before. And BF1942 seemed to work at the same time. Recently BF quit working (I'll explain later) and I have reinstalled it 3 times today. I can boot into the main screen and when I try to load It normally locked up while in the process or spontaniously restarted. Whell I'm a bit further and now It (for the most part) loads into the game and allows you to choose the spawn point but it locks when you are transfered to that spawn point. I believe that I can get it working by reinstalling the driver that causes poor 3dmark scores but I am afrade that this will cause low preformance in BF (havent looked to see if it does, it might not (that is what is inportant)). Anywhay I am sure you have all had those days where your computer is nothing but a big pain, today is one of those days for me. I really want to buy myself an external HDD so that I can copy all of my files on to it and reformat my hdd and start over because small glitches accumulate and after a year or two becomes a problem. Well I'll go install the preformance degrading drivers now and just live with it. :(

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
I installed the "bad" driver and it is working at a decent level. I sure wish I had a job so I could build a new system. Food stores are the only place a sub 16 year old person can work.:frown:

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
I can relate........ I hate the Week of Pain!

Good luck with it man, I wish I had a good suggestion.

Budweiser?
rolleye.gif

a sub 16 year old person

OOPS, we cross-posted.... I guess I better change that to a Dew! :D

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: titanmiller
I installed the "bad" driver and it is working at a decent level. I sure wish I had a job so I could build a new system. Food stores are the only place a sub 16 year old person can work.:frown:

Good luck with that! I feel your pain man, when I was making little to no money I was in the same boat, now that I make more I just go into more debt! LOL. So be carefull what you wish for! ;)

Anyway got her back up and running, just a base load with networking! So I can sleep better this weekend.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: MoFunk
I am here at work and was trying to recover a hard drive with a corrupted mbr, and it was close to lunch so I left it. My supervisor was playing around and fdisked my test system! This is a 1.8 running seti! Now I am trying to scramble to get it back up enough to crunch before I leave for the weekend! DARN IT!

If it was truly just a bad mbr all he had to do was run fdisk /mbr.
rolleye.gif

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Yeah the Dew would suit me better, I'm proud to say I'm not that type of a kid.:cool: Really the prefomance is not accectable. If I set the thingy that sets the ammount of ai "bots" to 400% it goes down below 10fps and I really think that my 1.2ghz Athlon should be capible of more than that (I might be wrong) so I am waiting for via to release a new driver that will hopefully solve the problem. Untill then I'll be crunching away (lost about 8 hous of time today)

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
That game is a total resource hog. (but a great game!)

I'm on GF3 and an AXP @ 1775, playing at 1024 X 768 X 32, no AA and still feel the need to turn off shadows to get it smooth(er)

If they don't get those NV30s out soon.... I'm gonna have to consider ATI..... well, not really, but I hope Nvidias' next is out soon :D

-Sid

MoFunk

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: MoFunk

If it was truly just a bad mbr all he had to do was run fdisk /mbr.
rolleye.gif

I tried that! I had a Win98 boot disk and it would look like it was working and then quit. So I booted off the Win2K disk and used the recovery console and it said that it fixed the problem, but I would still get a boot error. Nothing would work. I could see the drive and all the contents under DOS but when I slaved it up to a windows machine it would say that the drive was not formatted. So I took that drive, fdisked it and formatted it! Then I took it to my machine, and used a lovely little proggy called getdataback and recovered all the lost files that were there from the last ghost backup. Ghosted her system back to a new dirve, moved her lost files back and viola! This is the first chance that I had to really test this program and I must say that I am impressed. They even have a version for ntfs that I will test with this drive again. But I did an fdisk and format and still got all the data off! In fact I just formatted again to NTFS to test it. So far I am very impressed!

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Yeah I just read that NV30 (GeForceFX) will be out the first week of Feburary! I dont need it though because my computer is too slow for my GeForce4 Ti4400 anyway.