Argentinan Supreme Court rules in favor of recreational MJ use.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8221599.stm

Argentina rules on marijuana use

The court said adults were free to make lifestyle decisions
The supreme court in Argentina has ruled that it is unconstitutional to punish people for using marijuana for personal consumption.
The decision follows a case of five young men who were arrested with a few marijuana cigarettes in their pockets.
But the court said use must not harm others and made it clear it did not advocate a complete decriminalisation.
Correspondents say there is a growing momentum in Latin America towards decriminalising drugs for personal use.
The Argentine court ruled that: "Each adult is free to make lifestyle decisions without the intervention of the state."
Supreme Court President Ricardo Lorenzetti said private behaviour was legal, "as long as it doesn't constitute clear danger".
"The state cannot establish morality," he said.
The initiative has been supported by the government - Congress is expected to introduce amendments to the current drug laws.
But the court said it was not advocating a complete decriminalisation of the drug - a move possibly aimed at deflecting criticism from the Church and conservatives, says the BBC's Candace Piette in Buenos Aires.
The eight-page statement also called for a comprehensive policy against illegal drug trafficking.
Health fears
The move has been criticised by some campaign groups who say it will encourage damaging behaviour and lead to health problems.
"There will be an increase in the drug trade and the people that fall into addiction will not, unfortunately, access treatment," Claudio Izaguirre, director of the Argentine Anti-drugs Association told Reuters.
"My country doesn't have the necessary health coverage for what will happen," he said.
Argentina's move follows rulings by several other countries across the region, including Venezuela, Ecuador and Colombia.
Last week, Mexico enacted a law decriminalising possession of small amounts of drugs, including cocaine and heroin - the country is in the midst of a drugs turf war which has claimed more than 11,000 lives in the last three years.
The aim of such moves is to enable police to focus their efforts on the big criminals in the drugs trade rather than dealing with petty cases, says our correspondent.
But it also marks a shift a dramatic regional shift to the decades-old US-backed policy of running repressive military-style wars on the drug trade, she adds.

I don't use it so I don't really care, but it is interesting.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Or you can move here to CA, tell the good Dr. about your migranes, and smoke away.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: OCguy
Or you can move here to CA, tell the good Dr. about your migranes, and smoke away.

or that you cant sleep well
or that your thumb hurts from an injury prior
or that your knee hurts from prior injury
or that you dont like your pain pills

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I agree, they should get rid of that silly doctor step and sell it in the liquor stores right next to the 151 proof.

Oct 30, 2004
I hope the Californians end this charade, legalize it out right, and tell the other 49 states and the federal government to grow up and legalize it.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
The reactionary drug policies of the last 70 years finally appear to be crumbling. Mexico did it, now Argentina. Too bad Obama was a coke head like Bush, or we might be decriminalizing here too. Now that the neocons are out of power, time for the Democrats to step up and do something.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
I hope the Californians end this charade, legalize it out right, and tell the other 49 states and the federal government to grow up and legalize it.

Push the feds too hard and they can kill it all, including MMJ. I think they are attempting to fly under the radar.

Obama has stopped the raids on clinics, but has said he is not for recreational use. The DEA would get very nasty.

NORML would be set back 20 years if they helped cause sick patients to lose their MMJ licenses because a state attempted to truly legalize, which a state obviously cannot do.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: marincounty
The reactionary drug policies of the last 70 years finally appear to be crumbling. Mexico did it, now Argentina. Too bad Obama was a coke head like Bush, or we might be decriminalizing here too. Now that the neocons are out of power, time for the Democrats to step up and do something.

Do tell, how many politicians have legalization on the table?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: irishScott
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8221599.stm

Argentina rules on marijuana use

The court said adults were free to make lifestyle decisions
The supreme court in Argentina has ruled that it is unconstitutional to punish people for using marijuana for personal consumption.
The decision follows a case of five young men who were arrested with a few marijuana cigarettes in their pockets.
But the court said use must not harm others and made it clear it did not advocate a complete decriminalisation.
Correspondents say there is a growing momentum in Latin America towards decriminalising drugs for personal use.
The Argentine court ruled that: "Each adult is free to make lifestyle decisions without the intervention of the state."
Supreme Court President Ricardo Lorenzetti said private behaviour was legal, "as long as it doesn't constitute clear danger".
"The state cannot establish morality," he said.
The initiative has been supported by the government - Congress is expected to introduce amendments to the current drug laws.
But the court said it was not advocating a complete decriminalisation of the drug - a move possibly aimed at deflecting criticism from the Church and conservatives, says the BBC's Candace Piette in Buenos Aires.
The eight-page statement also called for a comprehensive policy against illegal drug trafficking.
Health fears
The move has been criticised by some campaign groups who say it will encourage damaging behaviour and lead to health problems.
"There will be an increase in the drug trade and the people that fall into addiction will not, unfortunately, access treatment," Claudio Izaguirre, director of the Argentine Anti-drugs Association told Reuters.
"My country doesn't have the necessary health coverage for what will happen," he said.
Argentina's move follows rulings by several other countries across the region, including Venezuela, Ecuador and Colombia.
Last week, Mexico enacted a law decriminalising possession of small amounts of drugs, including cocaine and heroin - the country is in the midst of a drugs turf war which has claimed more than 11,000 lives in the last three years.
The aim of such moves is to enable police to focus their efforts on the big criminals in the drugs trade rather than dealing with petty cases, says our correspondent.
But it also marks a shift a dramatic regional shift to the decades-old US-backed policy of running repressive military-style wars on the drug trade, she adds.

I don't use it so I don't really care, but it is interesting.

Ah so only liberals smoke pot you potato eating drunk?

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005

Actually, California Democrat Tom Ammiano is pushing to legalize cannabis in California.
He is not getting a lot of support. Where are those supposed freedom loving Republicans when you need them?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Barney Frank is always pushing it ...

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Well OP, nice crack about liberals.

Now if they could just find a place for the cokehead conservatives to go.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Pens1566

Yes, and Kucinich pushes a national gun-grabber buyback program to eliminate all weapons. They probably have the same chance.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic

I agree, they should get rid of that silly doctor step and sell it in the liquor stores right next to the 151 proof.

Weed has no place next to something as potent and dangerous as 151 proof.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Push the feds too hard and they can kill it all, including MMJ. I think they are attempting to fly under the radar.

Obama has stopped the raids on clinics, but has said he is not for recreational use. The DEA would get very nasty.

NORML would be set back 20 years if they helped cause sick patients to lose their MMJ licenses because a state attempted to truly legalize, which a state obviously cannot do.

The thing is though legalization in CA would likely be crack that ends up breaking the levy.
Yes the Feds would still probably come down hard at first, but if you could get other states to join in (Oregon, NY and I think VT are all close to or have legalized medical MJ) and the cracks in the levy get larger and larger until it crumbles and you get federal level legalization.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Pens1566

Yes, and Kucinich pushes a national gun-grabber buyback program to eliminate all weapons. They probably have the same chance.

You asked, I answered.