Argentina wins the Copa America

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I hope Italy wins.

It's kind of shocking this is the first international title for Messi.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Wow England really choked those PKs after Pickford gave them a good chance.

This year's Copa America should be renamed the Covid Cup. Hats off to Argentina who played a superior match. Brazil's players were salty afterward complaining Argentina didn't play football in the second half; when their strategy shifted to holding onto the lead.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I am such an American, I have no idea what Copa is. I assume it has something to do with soccer.

Me and you both dude!

I was thinking Copa Cabana.... There used to be a strip club in downtown Charleston SC called the Copa Lounge. :p

Or so I heard...

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Good for Argentina. Brasil always came off as cocky assholes and I loved watching them lose.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I assume the Euro Cup has something to do with Soccer?
I am being serious. I am not joking.

Yes, the rest of the world pretty much plays Futbol in massive leagues. The USA doesn't really do well in that sport on the world stage.

If it isn't futbol, it's probably hockey in EU 😉

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yes, the rest of the world pretty much plays Futbol in massive leagues. The USA doesn't really do well in that sport on the world stage.

If it isn't futbol, it's probably hockey in EU 😉
Eh? US Soccer does decent on world stage. It's just doesn't get the support of the people as much.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Eh? US Soccer does decent on world stage. It's just doesn't get the support of the people as much.

How far has the team progressed recently? I'll admit I may be outta the loop here

Yea, the country doesn't really care so much for futbol. It's cultural for sure.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I hope Italy wins.

It's kind of shocking this is the first international title for Messi.
Italy really trounced England, even though the score was close, they dominated play. They had possession >70% of the time. England only rarely maintained possession. Shots, shots on goal, all majorly belonged to Italy. I had the feeling Italy would win the penalty kick tie breaker, and did, and it was fitting. Disclaimer: I WAS rooting for England, but my feeling after it was over was one of depression. They were totally outclassed. Harry Kane was the only Englishman who was on the level of the Italians, IMO, and he never had a shot on goal.

Was glad to see Messi and the Argentines pull it off. Great goal, that, by Di Maria. The celebrations!!! They really know how to celebrate in South America! I've never seen anything like it. A thousand hugs, etc. Makes the Stanley Cup celebration look sick.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Italy really trounced England, even though the score was close, they dominated play. They had possession >70% of the time. England only rarely maintained possession. Shots, shots on goal, all majorly belonged to Italy. I had the feeling Italy would win the penalty kick tie breaker, and did, and it was fitting. Disclaimer: I WAS rooting for England, but my feeling after it was over was one of depression. They were totally outclassed. Harry Kane was the only Englishman who was on the level of the Italians, IMO, and he never had a shot on goal.

Was glad to see Messi and the Argentines pull it off. Great goal, that, by Di Maria. The celebrations!!! They really know how to celebrate in South America! I've never seen anything like it. A thousand hugs, etc. Makes the Stanley Cup celebration look sick.

I was in Buenos Aires when they won the World Cup. Now that was a party.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I'll start out by saying I love soccer (or football as every other country but the USA accurately calls it!). I grew up watching and playing many sports, and a good football match is just about the only one I will watch the whole way through.

That said: a couple things need to change, in my opinion of course.

1. Stop the damn clock, just like they do in college soccer. We have the technology to do so, and it will eliminate the ridiculous time-wasting and some of the injury antics. I saw a dude from Columbia take 2 minutes to tie his shoe. Adding on the extra time at the end is just dumb and wouldn't be necessary if they did like every other sport with a time clock. "But it's tradition!" Yeah, a bad one. Sports change, hopefully for the better. Basketball added a shot clock, Baseball is trying to speed things up and clean up the cheating.

2. Speaking of injury antics--faking injuries is just lame. It's worse than lame. I know there are fake fouls in other sports (basketball used to have tons of flopping to draw charges) but faking an injury is another level of bad. I've always rooted against the worst divers and fakers, and that has generally meant I can't stand any South American team, and throw in Italy and Spain as well. These days European soccer is far better than it used to be, but the Copa is almost unwatchable. Great skills, cringeworthy fake injuries. With video review, they should start handing out yellow cards to the blatant ones. When you roll 17 times screaming in agony, and HD video is showing you peeking at the ref, only to get up and run full speed 30 seconds later--that's a damn card. A couple times in the Columbia Argentina games players went down like they were punched while lining up for set pieces--reply showed they were barely touched, it was just trying to draw fouls.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I'll start out by saying I love soccer (or football as every other country but the USA accurately calls it!).

soccer (n.)

1889, socca, later socker (1891), soccer (1895), originally university slang (with jocular formation -er (3)), from a shortened form of Assoc., abbreviation of association in Football Association (as opposed to Rugby football); compare rugger. An unusual method of formation, but those who did it perhaps shied away from making a name out of the first three letters of Assoc. Compare 1890s English schoolboy slang leccer, from lecture (n.).
(emphasis mine)