ARG wtf would cause random short 'buzzing' in my attic???!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: djheater
Faulty vent\exhaust fan.
probably the motor going bad.

Why don't you go up there and wait for it to happen?

I had the same problem in our place. A buzzing sound that would come on every 5 minutes.

Went up into the attic and found a dead bird caught in the blades of the attic fan. It was the motor trying to turn on.

You probably have a fan hiding behind a joist or rafter that is faulty.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
Originally posted by: zixxer
The thing is - I've been up there before, running coax for an hdtv antenna - and really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. There were definetely no hornets or anything of that nature. It always comes from the same place, which is sort of near a vent. I would think it was maybe resonating from the furnace or something but i dont hear this noise from any other vent.

I would guess it to be a vent. Possibly one of those circular dome types that spin when it is windy outside. The vent may be damaged and need repair.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
There is definetely NO fan or one of those vents that turn when it's windy.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
a short in your electric wiring.
throw the breaker and see if it continues.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Stuck doorbell?
or
Do you have anything shiny on your roof? I had a thrush hammering on a shiny stainless steel wood stove chimney....
Drove me crazy until I found out what it was.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
figure it out yet?

no but have gotten further - the noise is coming from an area that is actually a fake 'dormer'.. that is not easily accessable from the attic area. It's remotely possible that theres a fan on the gable in the dormer (very unlikely) but I have no idea wtf else it could be.

It's not anything like a bird would do.. happens all the time, all hours of the day - not a doorbell