Review "Aresgame AGS850 Power Supply Review: A Misleading 80 PLUS Gold Badge?" - Tom's Hardware

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aresgame-ags850-power-supply-review
We can't recommend the AGS850. Never mind its low performance and build quality for a moment, but the 80 Plus Gold rating that it boasts doesn't match with our testing. Normally, its efficiency levels should be way higher, but our sample, which we bought from Amazon didn't even manage to take the lead from several Bronze efficiency PSUs.

Some highlights lowlights from the review:

Build quality is mediocre, and the parts that Jiu Meng used, especially the electrolytic caps, may have a hard time outliving the prolonged warranty.

The transient/EMI filter lacks an MOV, so it doesn't protect against voltage surges. It would be best if you didn't use this PSU without a surge protector. Moreover, we measured increased EMI emissions, so the EMI filter doesn't do its job effectively.

It's been years since the last time we saw a CM6800 controller in a Gold efficiency PSU. This is an outdated controller, appropriate for Bronze and lower efficiency units only

Soldering quality is terrible in some spots

A sleeve bearing in a power supply with a ten-year warranty

In honor of @DAPUNISHER from this hot deals thread where he tried one of their power supplies he purchased while on sale: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ewegg-on-sale-see-inside-for-details.2592725/

There's no way I'd run one of their PSUs in my builds. But at least it didn't explode on them (cough Gigabyte cough). :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Aris covered it a couple of weeks ago on his English version YT channel as well. The Tom's article he did is better imo; easy to digest it all with the traditional review format.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Aris covered it a couple of weeks ago on his English version YT channel as well. The Tom's article he did is better imo; easy to digest it all with the traditional review format.
I agree.

I know the younger generation enjoys watching all of their YouTube videos of people talking, but I will always go with a written article/review.

Honestly, I can usually only take a couple of minutes of watching videos. Most of the time, the information is provided much slower pace (and many people have a tendency to ramble on and get side tracked). Hardware Unboxed, Buildzoid, etc. are TOUGH to watch for me.