Aren't Manual Recounts Commonly Used to Settle Close Elections?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
ride525
Thanks for the link.I have been wondering about the precidence that had been set in other jurisdictions.That will certainly have bearing in a Federal Court(You know ,the place the Bush camp went to first?) as arguments for clarifing the validity of manual counts in the state of Florida.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Reasons not to hand-count

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. ? Five observers to Saturday's hand count in Palm Beach County have filed affidavits in federal court charging that a Democratic county commissioner manipulated ballots so Al Gore would receive more votes than George W. Bush. ......
The affidavits filed yesterday also include charges that elections workers were reluctant to reassess votes despite the protests of observers.

In one case, a worker refused to recount a stack of ballots that contained Bush votes, according to observer Mark Klimer.
Mr. Klimer's statement included the accusation that Miss Roberts picked up ballots from a stack that was to be evaluated later by the entire board and interspersed them with a stack of Gore votes.

He also said the ballot evaluation was inconsistent. Some ballots judged as Gore votes did not meet the agreed standards for a valid vote, the West Palm Beach banker said.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Etech,

Interesting source, but think it's already been listed in thread. And check to see who The Washington Time's owner may be.....

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My aplogies if the story was already posted.

Ride525, does the ownership of the Washington Times change the validity of the article? What are you trying to say with your innuendo?
If you are saying that every story in a paper owned by a conservative is false, does that not also mean that every story in a paper or source owned by a liberal is also false, is that what you are trying to say?

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ride525,

The information is taken from the complaints filed. The source is not relevant. If it were an opinion piece, you might have some argument. But, facts are easily verified so even a bias media outlet is not going to lie in an article.

Russ, NCNE

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< But, facts are easily verified so even a bias media outlet is not going to lie in an article. >>

IF the facts are ok, then that is fine....but as you may know, both sides of the media can &quot;strech&quot; the facts....sometimes a lot.....

The paper just seemed to have a STRONG right lean, and so I did only a tiny bit of research.....

I tried to look objectively at some of the fact from another article here
[Stats on Double Punches
It's really, really hard for me to believe that these &quot;facts&quot; are true...but if they are, why haven't the Republicans been complaining.