Area President Says Pasta is a Vegetable and Potatoes are Fruit

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Insert rolleyes emoji here.

Were you outraged when that horrible commie Kenyan first lady tried to feed our kids nasty liberal food that wasn't mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, or pizza? Rejoice! El Presidente has single-handedly rewritten biology and nutrition science. They can now obtain all their daily servings of fruit in a pile of mashed potatoes.

• Haha
Reactions: whm1974

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just face the facts that the American food industry cares 2 shits about nutrition. Diabetes, cardio, and cancer rates are still rising. ADM is your master.

Reactions: zinfamous

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Deregulation for the win!!! :(
And they did it on Michelle Obama's bday...what a bunch of petty turds (or more likely the Petty Turd in Chief's idea).

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Trump's wish to have Mickey D knockoff franchises that he owns installed in every public school will have come to fruition.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's up to you to edumacate your kids. Republicans told school lunches were too nutritional, what did we expect?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It's up to you to edumacate your kids. Republicans told school lunches were too nutritional, what did we expect?

When the debate was going on over school lunches of the points Democrats kept bringing up was that there was research that showed that good nutrition was casually linked to intelligence and emotional development. Republicans saw an opportunity here. Reduce their nutrition, reduce their intelligence, increase their odds of voting Republican!

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
When the debate was going on over school lunches of the points Democrats kept bringing up was that there was research that showed that good nutrition was casually linked to intelligence and emotional development. Republicans saw an opportunity here. Reduce their nutrition, reduce their intelligence, increase their odds of voting Republican!

And piles of lobbyist cash from processed food corporations is just the potato on top.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Pasta is always mad from grains never vegetables.:rolleyes: I wonder if the States that are sane will tell their public school not to use Federal guideline and use their own instead?

How in Hell did potatoes end up being counted as fruit?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Pasta is always mad from grains never vegetables.:rolleyes: I wonder if the States that are sane will tell their public school not to use Federal guideline and use their own instead?

How in Hell did potatoes end up being counted as fruit?

pasta is made from flour. Flour can be created from all sorts of sources, including vegetables. Not saying that I am a fan of those pastas, but you can def make pasta out of vegetables.

this isn't saying that the president is correct, of course, because that is not what he is talking about or advocating.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Here's an article not written by a TDS Suffering Phucktard.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-a...ta-a-vegetable-under-school-lunch-guidelines/

Or you could read have the actual guidelines read to you.

lol, so it actually is what I said it wasn't in the post above!

There is history to these shenanigans, if you recall. Remember when Reagan declared that Ketchup was a vegetable for the very same purpose in school lunch?

Still, I'm not sure if it should count as a vegetable. I don't think the nutrition is anywhere near the same. It's better than white flour pasta for sure, but I can't see this being an actual replacement for vegetables. It's the ketchup thing all over again.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
lol, so it actually is what I said it wasn't in the post above!

There is history to these shenanigans, if you recall. Remember when Reagan declared that Ketchup was a vegetable for the very same purpose in school lunch?

Still, I'm not sure if it should count as a vegetable. I don't think the nutrition is anywhere near the same. It's better than white flour pasta for sure, but I can't see this being an actual replacement for vegetables. It's the ketchup thing all over again.

I would say half right.

To quote the article:

Under the new regulations officially rolled out last week, the US Department of Agriculture now includes pasta made from 100 percent vegetable-based flour or “noodles” made from whole vegetables, like spiralized zucchini or sweet potatoes, to count toward a daily vegetable requirement.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I would say half right.

To quote the article:

Under the new regulations officially rolled out last week, the US Department of Agriculture now includes pasta made from 100 percent vegetable-based flour or “noodles” made from whole vegetables, like spiralized zucchini or sweet potatoes, to count toward a daily vegetable requirement.
Why wouldn't spiralised courgettes count as vegetables under any regulations? Why would you need new ones for that?

Reactions: pmv

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
^yeah, if the "noodles" are whole, spiralized vegetables, no biggie. But vegetable flour-based noodles....eh no.
Yes, have to be careful with that. You could probably justify potato bread as a vegetable the same way as you could classify ketchup as a vegetable under those guidelines.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I would say half right.

To quote the article:

Zucchini is basically water and sweet potatoes are starch. Neither hit the goal of eating vegetables.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Its just disgusting really - at the very basic level of health and nutrition for America's youth, our gov't and industry does everything to save a buck and to line their pockets. But if Boeing develops the latest greatest fighter jet, we sign up for buying 100 of them for a zillion dollars and still don't bat an eye when the cost balloons to 2 zillion.

It's truly amazing how we can be so great while being so incredibly shitty.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Would like to see a credible scientific explanation of the nutritional value of 'vegetable based flour' (and whether it's actually any better than normal flour).

The only issue that occurs to me about spiralised 'zucchinni' (apart from the fact they are courgettes, dammit!) is that once you chop things up finely like that, do they not rapidly lose nutrients if not consumed fairly soon after? I don't really know, mind.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Wasn't one of the issues that came up recently was that the push to promote healthy foods in schools resulted in a lot of stuff getting thrown out?

Democrats - "Public schools, after a million dollar study and using a 3 million dollar grant, in order to promote healthy eating and in cooperation with the american medical association, the center for disease control, regional food providers and consultation with parent groups and schools, with are now making fresh vegetables and healthy meals available in cafeterias!!!"

Kids: "Fook yo veggies (throws plate in garbage, sneaks a tug on a vape pen and opens up a bag of cheetos"

Republicans - "Jesus made fried chicken and salted beef for a reason. That money would have been better spent on my sisters friends brothers private school that teaches that lady parts are what killed the dinosaurs 6000 years ago""

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Ah yes, the guy with the golden fork in his mouth. Truly a man of the people only looking out for the common person.