Discussion Are you voting 3rd party for president in 2020

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Well plus I thought by adding I had already voted I was not looking to have my mind changed. I am simply curios on why people would vote 3rd party. I guess I am not allowed to point our her ideas don't seem thought out.

I voted Sanders in 2016 because I agree with MFA and stopping the pilfering of the middle class, workers rights, and so on. If I lived in a swing state, I woulda voted HRC, cuz after Obama got elected the R's went full off the rails.

HRV, like Obama and Biden, are very center D's. They want it to work within a corporate framework. The D party is diverse, and there's a strong push for at least MFA, and young D's like AOC are strong on workers rights and the future. They need more of that.

This time around, for me, Biden is a no brainer. Trump needs to lose not just the EC, but by the largest popular vote margin possible.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I voted Sanders in 2016 because I agree with MFA and stopping the pilfering of the middle class, workers rights, and so on. If I lived in a swing state, I woulda voted HRC, cuz after Obama got elected the R's went full off the rails.

HRV, like Obama and Biden, are very center D's. They want it to work within a corporate framework. The D party is diverse, and there's a strong push for at least MFA, and young D's like AOC are strong on workers rights and the future. They need more of that.

This time around, for me, Biden is a no brainer. Trump needs to lost not just the EC, but by the largest popular vote margin possible.
A crushing popular and EC defeat is what we need. I think if that happens people will flee form him like rats on a sinking ship. I do worry about how much damage trump can do as a lame duck though.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Maybe, the last presidential candidate I voted for was Obama for both terms. Last election I didn't care for Trump or Hillary so I left that portion of my ballot blank. This time around I don't really care for either mainstream candidate either so I may end up voting 3rd party just not sure yet.

It doesn't really matter who I vote for anyway because I live in Illinois. I could literally vote for Mickey Mouse like another poster mentioned. Maybe that's why people do it......

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
A crushing popular and EC defeat is what we need. I think if that happens people will flee form him like rats on a sinking ship. I do worry about how much damage trump can do as a lame duck though.

It will be the criminal in chief unhinged. Just completely bonkers

Reactions: zzyzxroad

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Well plus I thought by adding I had already voted I was not looking to have my mind changed. I am simply curios on why people would vote 3rd party. I guess I am not allowed to point our her ideas don't seem thought out.

And youre entitled to your opinion. Ive spent months listening to her, researching her, etc, and she hits more of my "likes" than any other candidate. Every one? Nope. And as I previously said there are things I disagree with. Of course, any candidate but the one you like is idiotic and stupid. Such is politics. And why her? As Ive said in other threads, I think Trump and Biden are disasters for America. Even though I know we'll end up with one of them. Thats not the point though. The point of voting isnt to pick from the likely winners, its to vote who we think would do the job the best.

Reactions: herm0016

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Of course, any candidate but the one you like is idiotic and stupid. Such is politics.

What candidate do you think I like? I don't think I have ever expressed an endorsement for a candidate on these forums.

Thinking Biden will be anywhere close to as horrible as trump is extremely ignorant. Then again you are the guy who thought Hunter should be investigated with zero reason of why. You seem biased on the subject and are perhaps prone to propaganda.

Reactions: Ramiel

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What candidate do you think I like? I don't think I have ever expressed an endorsement for a candidate on these forums.

Thinking Biden will be anywhere close to as horrible as trump is extremely ignorant. Then again you are the guy who thought Hunter should be investigated with zero reason of why. You seem biased on the subject and are perhaps prone to propaganda.

I have no idea who you like or dislike. Its not important to me.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Unfortunately voting has become about choosing the lesser of two evils most of the time. I'm not a big Biden fan but I do care about democracy. This election is about the US continuing on as a democracy. It's already an uphill battle with the electoral college giving weight to the hee haw states . Throwing your vote away on a 3rd party this election is just you giving the middle finger to democracy. A clear message needs to be sent by the american people and the only way to do itt is with a decisive victory crushing both the electoral college and popular vote.

Reactions: purbeast0

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Unfortunately voting has become about choosing the lesser of two evils most of the time.
But what is wrong with this? One has to pick their battles. While I do understand Bernie Bros was substantial change. But how stupid are they when it's mandatory to get rid of the moron in chief. It's not just for the US. This affects all of us around the world.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
I have never voted third party and likely never will. There is not much point to it other than trying to make a protest vote or if you live in a state like California, it really doesn't matter because whoever the D is is going to win anyway.

I respect the people who genuinely love the Libertarian party or Green party though - whatever suits you and makes you feel happy with your vote then more power to you.

Anyway, the biggest issue too me is with the way our government is structured. If we had more of a coalition type government where party seats are split amongst the percentage that each party got, then that would be a different story and your "voice" would still count if you voted third party. Many European nations have it where the various parties group up to form a government which makes even small parties viable to vote for.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Maybe, the last presidential candidate I voted for was Obama for both terms. Last election I didn't care for Trump or Hillary so I left that portion of my ballot blank. This time around I don't really care for either mainstream candidate either so I may end up voting 3rd party just not sure yet.

It doesn't really matter who I vote for anyway because I live in Illinois. I could literally vote for Mickey Mouse like another poster mentioned. Maybe that's why people do it......

So... both sides? Really?

Reactions: zzyzxroad

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Unfortunately voting has become about choosing the lesser of two evils most of the time. I'm not a big Biden fan but I do care about democracy. This election is about the US continuing on as a democracy. It's already an uphill battle with the electoral college giving weight to the hee haw states . Throwing your vote away on a 3rd party this election is just you giving the middle finger to democracy. A clear message needs to be sent by the american people and the only way to do itt is with a decisive victory crushing both the electoral college and popular vote.
No doubt. I think because of how much information we have access to we simply see more of our elected official's faults. I don't think high ranking elected officials are any worse then they have ever been. Power and money corrupt. Always have and always will.

I'm generally not a fan of any politicians but I understand they are a needed part of a democracy and that some are better than others. People who can't see that Biden is clearly miles better than trump are not honestly assessing them.

For the good of our country a message needs to be sent. Vote Biden!

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
Well difference in many former FBI/DOJ where they truly want to do the right thing vs political hacks and pick party over country
EDIT: gotcha; agreed

Admittedly James Comey tested my patience ... esp with the book deal - everyone has a book deal now. I honestly don't know if Andrew McCabe even is persuing that (I don't think so) he didn't get his pension/severance due to being fired one day prior to the requirement for it. Still... so yeah much respect.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The ONLY time in almost 50 years of voting I didn't either vote FOR the Democrat or at least AGAINST the Republican was 2008. While I didn't like Obama or McCain, I didn't think either one would be that much better/worse than the other...so I voted for a 3rd party candidate. I voted for Obama in 2012, if only as a vote AGAINST Mitt the Mormon. (who I think would still be far better than Donnie the Orange)

This election is perhaps the most important election ever to vote...even if (like me) you're not really a Biden/Harris supporter, vote (D) to help remove the large orange shitstain.

If you want to vote for a 3rd party, not because they can win... but because you don't want to support the mainstream parties...either use that for your local candidates, (not US Senate/House please) or just wait until the choice isn't quite as important as it is this time.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm voting for the national popular vote issue in my state, so I'd better vote for a candidate who can win too.

Reactions: skyking

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
If i lived in California i would vote Libertarian since it wouldn't matter but i am in a swing state. I am voting Trump and R down the ballot myself. Like i said in a previous post, if we had a different system where various parties had to work together to form a coalition government, then 3rd party would mean something and your vote would still count.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Heres a few:

opposes federal civil asset forfeiture and qualified immunity
opposes embargoes, economic sanctions, and foreign aid
supports cutting government spending to reduce taxes
elimination of trade barriers and tariffs
supports the repeal of quotas on the number of people who can legally enter the United States to work, visit, or reside

There are a few things I disagree on, but my agreements far outweigh my disagreements.
It is always comforting to see places where we agree. I am a big fan of lower trade barriers and a big fan of removing barriers to people coming here to work. If someone wants to come to the US and bust their ass, I’m all for it.

(Also asset forfeiture and qualified immunity are garbage.)

Reactions: blackangst1

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
a big fan of removing barriers to people coming here to work. If someone wants to come to the US and bust their ass, I’m all for it.

For the sake of stability and sustainability - our population increase needs to end.
But it is not (yet) a defining political issue. It does not decide my vote.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
For the sake of stability and sustainability - our population increase needs to end.
But it is not (yet) a defining political issue. It does not decide my vote.
We have one of the least dense populations in the developed world though. Why does it need to end?