Are you the same political party as your parents?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
my parents just pull the R lever, I know they have strong opinions but am not sure how much they really know the issues.

i am conservative, a true conservative. less spending, less social programs, less regulation on business. i am pro-life, don't agree with gay marriage, and cling to my right to be a christian and own guns on a personal level, but, even more important to me, I believe that the government has no right or power to legislate these and many other things.

on the flip side i love programs like americorp. We need to teach people about community and service, these are the things that will save our country. I love helping people, am working on a charity drive, (see sig) and building bird houses for a park in new Orleans.

::puts on flame suit::

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: herm0016
my parents just pull the R lever, I know they have strong opinions but am not sure how much they really know the issues.

i am conservative, a true conservative. less spending, less social programs, less regulation on business. i am pro-life, don't agree with gay marriage, and cling to my right to be a christian and own guns on a personal level, but, even more important to me, I believe that the government has no right or power to legislate these and many other things.

on the flip side i love programs like americorp. We need to teach people about community and service, these are the things that will save our country. I love helping people, am working on a charity drive, (see sig) and building bird houses for a park in new Orleans.

::puts on flame suit::

Sounds great, except IMO you are confused on one issue. If you believe the government has no right or power to legislate guns and religion (and I agree with you on this), then why do you believe that the government has the right and power to legislate sexuality and reproductive rights?
Kind of a conflict there IMO. You want smaller government, but only on your terms. Which is more important, I wonder?
Anyway, work on that conflict and (perhaps) some other areas where you similarly want larger and more intrusive government on your terms, and I'd say you're a hell of a citizen.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
read the post again, they don't have the right to legislate these things. i was just saying what i personally believe in. i believe in a lot of things that the government does not have the right to legislate.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Parents are Repubs, I am independent and probably voting 3rd party this time around, if at all.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
read the post again, they don't have the right to legislate these things. i was just saying what i personally believe in. i believe in a lot of things that the government does not have the right to legislate.

So... if govt does not have the right to legislate those things, then what would your position be if a piece of legislation were presented contrary to your beliefs?
You have 2 conflicting belief systems here. I'm asking you which is more important to you.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Perknose
[and desperately uniformed.

whats he wearing? i got a lulz out of this.

I don't know what you could possibly be referring to. ;)

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: seemingly random
1. This is stupid. Are you saying that, if I had stated 72/28, I wouldn't be dead wrong? Notice the tilde which is commonly used as a symbol for approximately.

2. And, if by stating bushie at the end of your post, you are insinuating I agree with bush, you have delivered an insult to me like no other. Thanks - somebody step on your tail today?

Nope, sparky, I'm saying that the 28% are just the tip of the fucking iceberg of how wrong you are, and that YOU are shallow, stupid and desperately uniformed.

I wasn't insinuating anything about you and what you believe politically. But your second attempt here to put words in my mouth does show what little basic reading comprehension you have.

Working on a naive assumption, you pulled a statistic compeltely out of your ass, and I owned you with just one hint of the overriding reality.

After that, you just owned yourself some more.
God, you are abrasive. Yes, I pretty much pulled this 80/20 ratio out of thin air - the same as where most others here pull statistics. And, need I remind you, polls are rarely correct even within the stated margin of error. According to the polls, kerry was certain to win going into '04 election day.

I could probably find some link supporting those numbers if I looked hard enough. But this is not the point. This 80/20 ratio was meant to indicate that most people don't reside on the fringes and for the most part are decent in spite of what they say. They are easily lead (or mislead) by party allegiances and fud. I've known some hardcore repugs that spout horrible anti-social stuff and yet when it comes down to the wire will help others in need.

So this 80/20 represents my perception of what people are rather than how they vote. Some might argue that the two cannot be separated. My experience is that the dichotomy exists.

I leave you with lots of opportunities to attack...

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
God, you are abrasive.

Yes, I pretty much pulled this 80/20 ratio out of thin air - the same as where most others here pull statistics. :shocked:

[...]

I could probably find some link supporting those numbers if I looked hard enough. But this is not the point. :roll:

[...]

I leave you with lots of opportunities to attack...

Yes, yes . . . yes, you do. And stop calling me God! :laugh:

Now go read my revised answer to you.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Christ, if you come into a political forum spouting "statistics" but can't even recognize a not too subtle take off on Bush's "You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie" during the Katrina catastrophe, I really can't help you further.
This could explain some of the hate. Some of my phrasing reminded you of some shit bush said? That's embarrassing. Got a link? And I know that god would be able to pull it up instantaneously.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Christ, if you come into a political forum spouting "statistics" but can't even recognize a not too subtle take off on Bush's "You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie" during the Katrina catastrophe, I really can't help you further.
This could explain some of the hate. Some of my phrasing reminded you of some shit bush said? That's embarrassing. Got a link? And I know that god would be able to pull it up instantaneously.

No, no, for the third and last time, NO. The phrase was referring to the rock bottom 28% that still think Bush is doing a good job, NOT YOU.

Read.

Listen.

Learn.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex
Just curious, in my group of close friends we're about 95% the same as our parents.

How about you and your parents?

I don't think the poll can encompass every situation, but I'll try to get as many as possible without diluting the poll.

I always find it interesting to see how much influence our parents had on us when it comes to politics. I fancy myself a free thinker, but on some issues its funny how I sound exactly like my parents do and take their point of view. Is it because they raised me to be that way? Or because I genuinely agree?

I crossed my mind again earlier tonight while shopping at Target, listening to two young employees (I would venture a guess 16-17 in age) who were nearby and discussing politics. The subject matter and manner in which they spoke led me to believe they had no idea what they were actually talking about, just repeating what each of their respective parents had said about the issues. Maybe a bit presumptive to make such an assumption, but it was comical to the point I actually laughed at their banter, talking about issues which they appeared to have no concept of.

(Before anyone says it, no, I don't normally go to stores, listen to teenagers chatting, and giggle to myself. They were talking loud and in the same isle stocking shelves while I was debating the intricacies of how much to spend on gym headphones that will die from sweat in 6 months)

Anyway, I welcome your comments (and suggestions on how to clarify and improve the poll)

EDIT: I'm not sure I like the 3rd choice on the poll, as it seems to fit within #2 (just an extension). LMK

In your 20s? You remind me of something similar that happened to me. I was listening to some young people who, I suddenly realized, didn't have the faintest idea of what they were talking about. It hit me like a ton of bricks, suddenly, why. They had no life experience of that about which they spoke and I did. I realized for the first time what it really means to think and have opinions and to really know, what it means to have experience. Now I can really understand what it means that you can't put an old head on young shoulders.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
My mom is a democrat and also a Hillary supporter.
I get the impression that she just ticks anybody whose name has a "D" on the ballot.

My father died almost 11 years ago. I would "guess" that he would be a democrat if he was alive and could vote.
Keep in mind that we are foreigners who only just became citizens in 2002.

I am a registered democrat, but I'm not one of those far left leaning hippies.
As Perknose mentioned earlier, I'm also not a fan of Obamarama but realize he's a better candidate than the choices we're offered.
Barack Obama >>> John McCain >>> Bob Barr

If my state was like Virginia next door in which independents could vote in any elections (including primaries), I'll become registered as an independent in a heart beat.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Dad is a staunch Republican, always has been. He was in his glory when Reagan was in office.
Me, I'm fairly conservative and registered as an Independent. I don't agree with a lot of the Republican line but I do agree with basic conservative principals.
I will go with any good sense argument and the Republican Party certainly has no monopoly on those.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
My parents are independents, and I am also. Specifically I am fiscaly conservative and socially to the left. I don't care what people do with their lives as long as it doesn't affect my happiness/opportunities in life.

They both voted for Clinton in 96, Gore in 2000 and GWB in 2004. Its funny what their reasons were. My dad though Kerry was incompetent and couldn't express a single stream of though, my mom hated GWB by then, but basically said 'you broke it, you fix it' and she says she enjoys seeing him get older/greyer as he progresses into his 2nd term.

I really really liked McCain in 2004 and felt like he was a true independent thinking man, but I am very disapointed in him and his most recent views.

I personnaly think that GWB Sr. was one helluva a president and he doesn't get enough credit.

What I liked about Clinton was that he didnt try to claim he knew all the answers, but he hired into his cabinet the best in the business at tackling things he did not know much about.

The saddest thing about GWB and Co. is that they are trampling over everything American stands for and over every American citizen JUST to stay in power. That regime has to end and I hope it ends soon. I don't think we have ever had an administration that focused 90% of its efforts in retaining its power without caring much about anything else.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
I don't restrict myself to one party, except when I have decided who I will vote for in the next election (I am Canadian)

My parents voted Liberal last election, I voted NDP

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Both of my parents are registered (R) and I registered (R) originally. Over time I've grown tired of what the (R) party stands for (pro-fundie, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-science, etc). For that reason I haven't voted for an (R) since Bush1. I switched parties to (D) recently but it's not going to take effect until after 11/4 - don't ask me why.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I am a libertarian (lowercase). My mother is a hardcore religious right Republican. My dad used to be a Republican, but he's slowly coming around to my way of thinking.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ultra laser
My parents have no interest in politics. My father is extremely cynical and thinks the game is rigged.

Based on the last 2 presidential elections I tend to agree with your father! :laugh: