Are you suffering from any phobias?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you suffer from any phobias?

• Yes and I still do currently

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yes, but I overcame them

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, I don't

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Age has brought on a couple of phobias that are counter to what I used to do.

Claustrophobia - as a volunteer firefighter, I have been through confined space rescue training. One of the exercises is to crawl through a maze with twists and turns and tight spaces, all while wearing full turnout gear and an air pack. Some places required removing the air pack from our back and pushing it in front of us, all while breathing only SCBA air, and in total darkness. Physically challenging, and took a little planning at each obstacle, but never had any reaction to the extremely tight spaces. Some guys lost their shit going through this.

Several years ago I crawled into my daughter's crawl space to check something on her furnace... uh... got it done but vowed to never do that again.

Acrophobia - also part of firefighter training is ladder training, repelling out of a 5th floor window, etc. As part of ladder training to build confidence we would extend a 35' ladder, and stand it straight up in the middle of a field, with 4 ropes as guy-wires, held by other firefighters. Climb up one side, get to the top, lock your legs in, and lean back. Then over the top (when the top rung is between your legs, it looks much further than 35' to the ground) and climb down the other side. I was often the first to do it to demonstrate the process. Climb a 105' ladder of a ladder truck... the legs really feel the burn as you get near the top, but one hell of a view from the top.

Last trip up a ladder to the roof on my house... tense, and getting back on the ladder to get down, I had to talk myself into it. I sure as hell didn't want to call the fire department to get my ass down. 24' Extension ladder for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyking

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I would probably poop my pants if I were this guy. It's not terrible until he starts climbing past the electrical box at 2:16, where there aren't any rungs.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I would probably poop my pants if I were this guy. It's not terrible until he starts climbing past the electrical box at 2:16, where there aren't any rungs.

My ass would be clinched so tight that if I farted, only dogs would be able to hear it.

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I have a 100' radio tower to take down at work, but I am not going to climb it. It does not have parallel rungs, they are at 45 and by the time I got up there my feet would be very angry from getting pinched in each rung. Life's too short for that. I will rent an 85' boom lift to go with the boom truck. Seems excessive to set one picking strap, but I have nothing to prove and it is not my money :D

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yea, fuck everything about that. I could do the caged part, but after that, not a chance in hell, especially the transitions.

edit:
Thinking about it, I guess I'm conditionally afraid of heights. Walking laterally on beams gives me vertigo, and if you offered me a million dollars to climb that tower, I'm not sure I could do it. OTOH, I've been at least 80' up a tree, and have been perfectly comfortable roped in with quality gear. Not sure where "fuck no" kicks in, but I could probably do the tower with my tree gear. Someone would have to set the rope for me though :^D

Last edited: