Are you strong enough to pull yourself on top of a ledge above you?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
It depends on the inspiration....

If it's just for the fun of it, prolly not.

Throw a mouth-foaming pitbull into the picture and I'll jump you fvcking wall straight up.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I could definately do it once or twice..but if your talking about climbing a 50ft ridge like this...no way...im far too lazy!

Grouchyoldguy

Jun 4, 2003
Been in this situation. I've had a ladder fall away at 20' up while welding the hopper of a batch plant. I was able to pull myself up and over but it was tough. I am 5'11", 185lbs and work a physical job that keeps me in good shape. Those that think it's the same as a pull up have no clue.

cheapgoose

Diamond Member
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: cheapgoose
why pull when I can just throw a heel hook over the ledge.
I wasn't counting on flexible people. But let's say that you can't throw your leg onto the ledge until after your hands (gripping the ledge) are at or lower than your navel.

belive me, it's a lot easier to throw your foot over before you actually pull up. if your hands are lower than your navel, then you're talking about a mantle move, not a pull up, the second your hands go pass your shoulders, you're pushing, not pulling. From what i've seen in my gym, not too many people can pull off that kind of move. and plus, how many people do you know can actually bring their foot up to their waist level, I used to throw a lot of "hand foot matches" in my routes 'cause people can't do them.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I probably could but I'm not sure. What inspired this thread? That part in LOTR where Gandalf falls?

VansTheMan

Sep 13, 2003
I do that kind of stuff rock climbing regularly. It's definitely not the same as a pull-up. Everybody who can't and doesn't have a good excuse should get off their computer and go outside.

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
no, if the ledge is like a right angle, where you cant really grip it...however if i could get a solid grip, id still just wail my legs around and fall to the ground

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: SyahM
yes, but i'd use my mad kungfu skills to climb the ledge, it's much easier and faster.

But what if a ninja is standing on top of the ledge, stomping on your fingers?

Blindman

Oct 12, 1999
I think it depends if you were holding on for your dear life then your body can do amazing things. If you were just doing it say to test your strength probbly not.