Are you still shaking hands?????

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I started a new job 2 weeks ago. This means that I met a lot of new people. My standard line when I met someonw was to say "We are waving now" Sometimes people wanted to elbow bump or fist bump. Whenever possible I just wanted to wave at them.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I really think it should stop, but I have a feeling it probably won't. Once all this is over people will just forget. Ebola and Sars was pretty bad too and that never prompted a change. Though I don't recall those spreading as quickly as this one.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I don't like shaking hands in general because you'll always run into guys who think it's a competition and squeeze your hand hard enough to make a diamond. So when I go to shake, I just give them a few fingers, not the whole hand. I'm basically recognizing their dominance as the alpha. That seems to work better.

But on the general concept of shaking in regards to contagion, I've never worried about that. While I don't think you should deliberately try to infect yourself with pathogens, the fact remains that if you have a robust immune system, it's not something you need to worry about.

The one exception to that which I've found is warts. A few months ago and for the very first time in my life I got a small wart on the ring finger of my right hand. I was very upset.

And those suckers aren't that easy to get rid of I've found. I've been wearing a small patch with salicylic acid (I think) for weeks now and there is still a tiny little bump where the wart used to be. But I can't stop now since it will just grow back. So I probably have a few more weeks to go.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Was listening to an interesting conversation the other day about how the "Namaste" or the "Bow" being the traditional eastern greeting might have come from a natural distancing to reduce the spread of disease at some distant point in the past (with romanticization of the action being added at a later time).

No need to reinvent the wheel, might want to just adopt an more Americanized version of the same thing (i.e. everyone starts saluting each other in greeting).

Mar 11, 2004
I hope this actually makes it more common/acceptable, even expected behavior during sick season, to forego stuff like that.

Was listening to an interesting conversation the other day about how the "Namaste" or the "Bow" being the traditional eastern greeting might have come from a natural distancing to reduce the spread of disease at some distant point in the past (with romanticization of the action being added at a later time).

No need to reinvent the wheel, might want to just adopt an more Americanized version of the same thing (i.e. everyone starts saluting each other in greeting).

Nama-stay-away. Please don't. At minimum we'll have those awkward times where people just keep bowing to each other. And worse, we'll probably endup where dickheads start assuming that means everyone accepted them as God Emperor, wherein we'll have to remedy it by slapping people across the face or being people over our knees and spanking them.

I don't know, sounds like this guy might run it up his flagpole and see who salutes. Talk about white flags.

Damn straight ... I only touch myself now !!! :mad:

Erm ... that came out wrong somehow ?!? :D

Or we'll get this guy

I don't like shaking hands in general because you'll always run into guys who think it's a competition and squeeze your hand hard enough to make a diamond. So when I go to shake, I just give them a few fingers, not the whole hand. I'm basically recognizing their dominance as the alpha. That seems to work better.

Making this normal (damnit I couldn't find a clip of the video, its all just worm Jerry gifs that don't give it full context)

Nov 8, 2012
During this outbreak majority of people will obstain from shaking hands....

Immediately after life returns to normal hand shaking will resume again. It's a culture thing - and you're not going to change it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I haven't been in a situation where I would shake hands since all this started. I would assume most people are also in that situation.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

But on the general concept of shaking in regards to contagion, I've never worried about that. While I don't think you should deliberately try to infect yourself with pathogens, the fact remains that if you have a robust immune system, it's not something you need to worry about.

The one exception to that which I've found is warts. A few months ago and for the very first time in my life I got a small wart on the ring finger of my right hand. I was very upset.

And those suckers aren't that easy to get rid of I've found. I've been wearing a small patch with salicylic acid (I think) for weeks now and there is still a tiny little bump where the wart used to be. But I can't stop now since it will just grow back. So I probably have a few more weeks to go.

I think you're just wrong.

No one who hasn't had the virus is immune to it. You do need to worry.